November 21, 2017, 06:28:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eldora TV coverage  (Read 847 times)
old hot rodder
All-Star

« on: June 07, 2007, 04:24:01 PM »

I'm not sure just who was in charge, but I was pleasantly surprised by the good TV work on the PPV telecast of the Prelude last night. In fact, everyone at my house said the same thing. It was a professional job and I enjoyed it, in spite of DW being his usual motormouth self. He even got a few Toyota plugs in, and did do the BBB thing at the start of the main event.

I'll be interested to hear what Vivian and anyone else who bought the telecast has to say.
 Dick

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
shawn
Legend

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 05:17:44 PM »

I thought it was very well done.  Didn't think DW was all that bad, could have been worse. 

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 05:21:50 PM »

The telecast was excellent!  Well worth the money. Smiley Smiley

The broadcast, which was led by producer Pam Miller and director Artie Kempner of Fox, was a no-frills telecast that is what all racing telecasts should be - focused on the drivers and the race, with knowledgable announcers and reporters.  No outside hosts, no pit studios, no "hip" celebrities, no bull.

I especially loved the stories about the history and tradition of the sport.  Of course, it didn't hurt that Red Farmer was there.  Everyone should know about Red Farmer, the Alabama Gang, and a lot of other things about the history of NASCAR.

And for once, DW did something cool: He drove the #98 car that Benny Parsons drove to victory at Eldora one day in the summer of 1968.  What a great sign of respect! Cool

Meanwhile, Austin Petty (son of Kyle and brother of Adam) gave an excellent tour of the Victory Junction Gang Camp, which is where the money is going.

So what if DW started the main event with BBB and had to bring up that David Reutimann was driving a Toyota Camry (which Mike Joy sarcastically disagreed with)?  And what if Joy thought there was a check presentation at the end of the night and there was none, because this time they have to wait for the pay-per-view revenues to come in?

At least I have very little to complain about compared to the normal NASCAR telecast.  Splendid!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 05:23:41 PM by Desmond » Logged

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 08:24:45 PM »

I don't know anything about Austin Petty, but he did a fine job on the virtual tour of the VJG Camp. I was impressed.

William James
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 09:09:24 PM »

I thought the tv coverage was great despite the bbb.  I think at times the announcers did get confused because they did not know a lot about dirt racing but they still just seemed to keep the show and information flowing right along.  I think just knowing it was for all those kids who will visit Victory Junction made it even more satisfying.  I enjoyed the way they had all the different interviews and other information on a lot of the drivers.  Also the history they offered up at times was very interesting.  Especially the tunnel and how it got both it's names.  As Desmond said, the piece that Austin Petty did on the Camp was excellent and it was the first time Kyle had seen it so that made quite an impact on him.

They seemed to be having fun in the booth and I know Dick B and Matt were having a blast in the pits.  They were both smiling and seemed to be basking in their duties as did the booth.  They were still professional but seemed to be so relaxed and were having a lot of fun, IMO

I am just pleased that they all donated their time and they all seemed to think it was well worth it.  And as much as I hate to admit it, DW didn't really bother me at all. 

I would pay for another one next year. 

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 02:37:44 PM »

I'll but it again next year too, Vivian. I am amazed at the difference the absence of commercials and promos makes. Now, would I pay to see cup races on a regular basis? No. But this was fun.

William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 05:46:57 PM »

I'll but it again next year too, Vivian. I am amazed at the difference the absence of commercials and promos makes. Now, would I pay to see cup races on a regular basis? No. But this was fun.

And I'll buy it again next year, too, Dick.  That was a great race and coverage to match!

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
shawn
Legend

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 01:20:14 PM »

I'll get it next year as well, unless I decide to go see it in person.u

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 06:56:44 PM »

Just saw this on racingone's webpage:

SPEED has secured exclusive basic cable replay rights for Tony Stewart’s "Nextel Prelude to The Dream" dirt late model race, with the first airing scheduled for July 8 at noon ET.

Two-time NASCAR champ Stewart headlines a list of drivers including NASCAR’s Jeff Gordon, Carl Edwards, Matt Kenseth, Juan Pablo Montoya and Mark Martin, and NHRA drivers Cruz Pedregon and Ron Capps, who competed at the Stewart-owned half-mile track located in Western Ohio in 2,300-pound dirt late model stock cars capable of putting out more than 800 horsepower. The full lineup included an impressive five Cup champions, three Daytona 500 winners and 24 major racing championship winners.

"This is a cool opportunity to give race fans another chance to see some of their favorite drivers having a lot of fun together," said SPEED President Hunter Nickell. "Tony has built this into quite a special event and SPEED is happy to be able to deliver it to the fans."

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 05:34:31 PM »

SPEED has secured exclusive basic cable replay rights for Tony Stewart’s "Nextel Prelude to The Dream" dirt late model race, with the first airing scheduled for July 8 at noon ET.

So it's not all about celebrity car refinishing! Smiley  That's what the SPEED Channel is all about, or at least it should be.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: