November 22, 2017, 10:16:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ratings again...  (Read 754 times)
sally
« on: June 21, 2007, 06:59:06 PM »

I know you're all probably tired of this, but give me my moment of glee.

Michigan TV Ratings hard to guage the TV Ratings at Michigan for the Nextel Cup race, this season, the race was televised on TNT, a cable network and garnered a rating of 3.3 with 3,650,000 households and 5,225,000 viewers. Last season the race was televised on FOX with a 4.5 ratings [no viewers numbers listed], but the rating is measured a little different from cable to network TV. The 2006 August race at MIS was on TNT and got a 4.1 cable rating.(Zap2it.com)(6-21-2007)

Dover TV Ratings: The Autism 400 presented by VISA at Dover International Speedway was postponed from Sunday June 3, 2007 to Monday, June 4th and televised on FOX, the ratings as found on Zap2it.com were a 2.3 rating and a /7 share with 2,602,000 households and 3,375,000 viewers. In 2006, the Dover race was televised on FX cable network and drew a 3.7 with 5,969,000 viewers. More info on TV Ratings and the 2007 chart, see my 2007 TV Ratimgs page.(6-21-2007)

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 08:38:38 PM »

Sally, I look forward to these posts from you!  Thank you for posting them.

If they would change their broadcasts to include all drivers and not so many replays of past incidents from other races, it might change our mind about watching more.  And of course the races are so follow the leader anymore, that makes it less interesting.  However, there is racing through the field normally, so if they would just cover that more, it may help.  Who knows? 
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 09:57:59 PM »

I find the ratings info interesting also, Sally. I'm still enough of an idealist that I believe that ratings, over time, will reflect the Quality of the product. If I am correct, the TV folks better take note.
 What was it that Forrest Gump said? Something like "boring is as boring does"--- Grin Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 01:03:55 AM »

Sally,

Do you know of any way to find out what the rating are for other racing series? USAR is obviously what I had in mind.

Lou

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 06:21:01 PM »

I read a book, The Death of WCW, about the World Championship Wrestling promotion.  The authors explained that WCW lost 95 percent of its audience over a four-year period, and was eventually sold to Vince McMahon/WWE, because it de-emphasized wrestling in favor of gimmicks.  They even refused to listen to survey results in which the respondents said they wanted more wrestling!

There are parallels to that experience now in NASCAR.  Both NASCAR and the networks have lost focus on what we have come to see - RACING.  And as before, the ratings are down and the fans, for the most part, are disillusioned.  Will anything be learned from the experience?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 10:07:12 PM »

Seems to  me there's a lot of 'spinning' going on here!

http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/2007/06/25/scene_daily1055.html

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 10:17:27 PM »

Fox Sports CEO said:  "Show me another sport that's growing like that among younger viewers."

Perhaps that's because us veteran viewers are being driven away by the overload of graphics, pointers, video montages, and video-game cars?  I'm sure those things are really big with the college crowd... Angry

...an industry consultant "admitted surprise that ESPN2's Busch broadcasts haven't performed better..."

Perhaps he just doesn't understand that most viewers don't like them turning it into the Saturday Cup race?

Cheryl
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 10:22:48 PM by Cheryl » Logged
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 10:28:24 PM »

Fox Sports CEO said:  "Show me another sport that's growing like that among younger viewers."

Must the younger viewers tuned out this week, Sears Point down 27% from last year. Of course last year it was on FOX  not TNT, which is on cable Roll Eyes. That will be the spin from NASCAR.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: