November 18, 2017, 09:20:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Goodys 200 BGN Broadcast  (Read 2462 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: February 21, 2004, 09:28:06 PM »

Well, Fox is back with more graphics than ever!  I guess the kids in graphics department were bored over the winter.  So we new "texture" and what appeared to be flashing lights on the ticker.  It's lower than before, so now more and more of the viewable part of the screen is obstructed.  

Unfortunately Chris Meyers and Jeanne Zelasko are back.  Meyers coming on the air claiming "the fans demand the Hollywood Hotel."  Give me a break!  The Fox self-promotion has returned.  Sad

Fox can't even tell us what lap we're on at least till halfway.  They were already showing laps to go at 6 laps into the race.  That always makes me think they want the race to hurry up and be over.  

At the end of the race, it only took them about 5 laps to figure out Sauter and Busch were having a great battle for 6th position.  At 3 to go they finally switched to that instead of just showing the leader running alone.

Oh yeah, we were spared BBB for the Busch race.  I can only hope the same thing happens tomorrow, but then I've always been an optimist.

I'm really dreading what we see for the Cup race tomorrow...

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 10:31:47 PM »

Boy, are you right on!  I'm already cringing in anticipation of tomorrow's Cup race.  My favorite "faux pas" was when DW kept saying that Michael was in the lead after the last round of pit stops!  The #8 car had passed him, and it took several laps run under yellow before they even noticed! :roll:

I'm sure that tomorrow we can look "forward" to hearing DW touting his book, and all the other stuff at his website.  OY! :cry:

How much longer do you think it will be before the racis is shown on a small strip at the top of the screen, while all the ads take up the rest of it?  It was bad enough when they split the screen so we could see the guys sitting in the booth, instead of watching the track!  ARRRRGH! :evil:
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 10:47:46 PM »

Ah, yes.  I'm so glad you remembered to mention the split screen.  I'd forgotten that in my post.  Yeah, we see the leader running alone on the track, while we have to see the guys in the Hollywood Hotel on the other part of the screen.  Isn't it bad enough they talk ALL the time; now we have to see them at the same time, instead of the racing?

I just happened to stumble across a forum on racingone and someone there was saying [sarcastically] that DW only mentioned his brother 13 times today.  As I always say, he needs to watch some old races from ESPN Classic and notice how Ned Jarrett dealt with having his son racing.  Much more professionally, that's for sure.

Cheryl
bg4
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004, 04:02:33 PM »

[removed]
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2004, 05:29:19 PM »

JW, you missed that annoying "blup, blup" noises?Huh?  When I'm watching a race on TV, all I want to hear are car noises and some descriptive commentary.   But as the increase in the size of the ticker, I'm sure the noises are designed to attract our attention to the commercials on the ticker.

I'm pretty sure NASCAR does not provide the "placement" of the cameras.  I know that the same camera/technical crew works both the Fox and NBC races.  I found this out when I got a tour of the TV compound at Richmond in 2002.   I'm pretty sure NASCAR has very little  to do with it.

"NASCAR TV?"  I'm not really sure what you mean by that...

I noticed Fox didn't use the annoying Lucky Dog term too.  I was certainly happy to see they used the same generic term I do (free pass), which to me is a comment that it is something which is not earned.  

I only hope Fox shows more field coverage today than they did yesterday.  I've been to many races at the Rock and TV never seems to do the race justice.  There's always a lot more going out all around the track than they cover.

Cheryl
bg4
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2004, 06:33:09 PM »

[post removed]
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 02:26:29 PM »

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but I believe Matt Yocum is an independent contractor who happens to have a contract with both Fox and NBC.  

As to the cameras being in place before the director and producer arrive, this is true.  When I asked the question as to how long it takes to set up the TV compound, I was told by Denis Ryan that the technical crew (who are also independent contractors) arrive on Tuesday and it takes two days to set up the compound.  Cameras placement and all was an on-going process during this time, I believe.  The director and producer as well as the "on-air talent" don't arrive until sometime Friday, or whenever the first telecasts are scheduled to begin.  Here's the article I did after visiting the compound in 2002:

http://www.speedcouch.com/otherreviews/2002/TV_compound.html

I think NASCAR has a lot of oversight on what TV does, but I'm pretty sure none of the people doing the broadcasts actually work for NASCAR or their media arm.

"NASCAR TV" is just a name that the Speed Channel slapped on the portion of their programming dedicated to NASCAR.  Remember when Fox bought Speedvision two years ago, there were rumors that they would turn it into the NASCAR Network and all the F-1 fans were up in arms over this?  In the end, Speed choose to just devote certain blocks of time to NASCAR and calls those blocks "NASCAR TV."  

Cheryl
bg4
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 05:44:25 PM »

It took time but I found the article I was looking for.

http://www.thatsracin.com/mld/thatsracin/sports/special_packages/money/6682633.htm

---------------------------
Posted on Wed, Sep. 10, 2003

Networks try to brew perfect TV potion
By BOB HENRY
ThatsRacin.com Senior Editor

Artie Kempner, lead director on Fox TV's race broadcasts, is serious about sports, so his baseball analogy is a natural: "The booth is the pitcher and (the production team) the catcher. We can signal and move our players around, but what they do is the key."
He's talking about Mike Joy, Darrell Waltrip and Larry McReynolds on the mound on race days, although pit reporters do their share of pitching as well. "They are the most important people to listen to," Kempner said, "and the truck shouldn't dictate."

Even with three dozen cameras, robotics and more innovation available, "it's not about TV, it's about the fan watching at home," he said.

Kempner, who has a similar role in the network's National Football League programming, has yielded the truck at the track to his NBC counterpart, director Mike Wells, and others for the rest of the 2003 NASCAR Winston Cup season. Wells is among those working with front men Allen Bestwick, Benny Parsons and Wally Dallenbach on the NBC/TNT side.

Kempner, Neil Goldberg (a supervising producer for Fox), Wells and others who work with NBC and TNT under the $2.4 billion contract with NASCAR helped outline what it takes to air a race.

Veterans of ESPN, CBS Sports and other shops, they said that like the sport they cover, a lot has changed in the way racing is televised. And the current television deal has made airing a NASCAR race a far more efficient enterprise.

Camera positions are locked in under the deal, for instance, although a director can use one angle more or less often than another, Wells and Kempner agree. Cable for those spots is already wired, but that doesn't mean Steve Stum, a technical manager, and crews like his don't have plenty to do.

"We used to go to Daytona two weeks ahead of time," Stum said. It's a lot simpler now, but there are 36 cameras to set up and 48 pairs of fiber-optic cable to run.

Setting aside a network's share of that $2.4 billion obligation, it costs about an additional $800,000 to produce and televise a Winston Cup race weekend of programming.

Some of that additional expense comes from the gimmicks and technology used throughout the weekend like the "pace chase" technology used to measure cars' speed and Fox's "Hollywood Hotel" set.

Race week begins on Tuesday for about a dozen production and tech managers. Forty to 50 more people hit the ground running on Wednesday, and the rest arrive at the track Thursday and early Friday. By the time pre-race programming goes live, 150 to 175 people are involved.

A couple of decades ago, all of those people were likely to be network employees. Some still are, but most are contractors working with the network in all forms of production. That's a change in television that was going on independent of NASCAR. The people we talked with said the new efficiencies make more things possible in race production.

Producers, directors and others for NBC and TNT step right into the trucks their Fox counterparts used from February through June, Wells said.

"Everything is configured when we walk in."
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2004, 06:38:39 PM »

Great thread!  Cool  What I liked about the Busch race, uhmm
It was on tv. No bbb, and I have to do a lot of thinking...
Disliked...too much talk, too many graphics, loss of screen space on the split screen views, and definitely the show type atmosphere in the booth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: