November 20, 2017, 08:26:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TNT Producer on XM Last Night  (Read 789 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: June 20, 2007, 01:12:57 PM »

I didn't catch the beginning, so I don't know the person's name who called in and spoke with Claire B. Lang on XM last night.  But he was there to try and explain TNT's leaving the air early on Sunday (because so many fans have expressed their frustration with that fact).  I listened to most of the interview and I still don't understand their mindset.  He claimed that TV feels there was no point to sticking around the extra 15 minutes scheduled for NASCAR coverage.  He said that "ratings" show most fans turn off the set after the checked flag flies and the winner is interviewed.  So they felt there was no advantage for them to continue with a post-race show.  He then said something about they felt they'd get more fans to tune into their movie if they started it early.  This makes absolutely NO sense to me!  What about the folks who wanted to watch that movie and who expected it to start at 5:30 as scheduled?  He also said something about "we try to put on a movie after the race that fits in with racing."  I don't remember what they listed for the west coast, but the movie they put on here was Van Helsing, which is about a vampire hunter (or something like that - I didn't stick around to watch it).  Uh, how exactly does that fit in with racing?  Lastly, he muttered something about how they aren't a 24-hour sports network, so they have other commitments.  That sounded like pure BS to me.  Or possibly he really does love racing and was frustrated because some higher up network executive pulled the plug on NASCAR to show a movie instead.

So basically, for those of us who are interested in seeing the top 5 or 10 in post-race interviews, we aren't important to the networks (what a news flash).  Oh yeah, he explained they made sure to interview Earnhardt because he was "the story" of the weekend.  I thought TNT was covering the race, not "the story."  I can't remember who finished 3-4, but I sure thought they were part of the race "story."  Silly me...

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 02:25:42 PM »

AHHH Yes, another fascinating journey into the mindset of the tv types! Or should the question be, ---do they really have a MIND anyhow?? Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 04:35:44 PM »

TNT could have easily filled the 15 minutes with more interviews.  Tony Stewart (3rd place) wasn't interviewed.  Nor was Casey Mears (4th), Kyle Busch (6th), Kevin Harvick (7th), Jeff Gordon (9th and still the points leader), or Jimmie Johnson (19th, ran out of gas).

I remember TNT doing something like this at one point, perhaps even last year.  Why did things change so quickly in 2007? Huh?

And yes, Van Helsing was about a vampire hunter.  As an aside, I still have a super-size drink cup from Carl's Jr. when it tied into the film.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 04:38:11 PM by Desmond » Logged

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 08:38:16 PM »

I guess the comments just prove how itlle the networks listen, or even care about the race fans.  Not that we needed any more proof.   

Sally
BrettBaldeck
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 04:14:06 PM »

No wonder ratings are down. Its not because of anything NASCAR is doing, it is what the networks are doing. The best thing that could happen in NASCAR send out a warning to the TV networks, or possibly even come up with a new contract that leaves TNT and other networks out. But the possibility of that happening are slim to none.

All the reasons given for leaving the air early are BS. Basically, they dont want to admit they made a mistake. So they came up with lame excuses. Did any of these people running NASCAR on the network go to college for this? Or did they just get them off the street. Actually, a person off the street could do a better job than most of those fools at TNT.

It is so frustrating that they came up with those lame excuses. Its made me very angry. They need to admit they made a mistake.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 06:01:56 PM »

No wonder ratings are down. Its not because of anything NASCAR is doing, it is what the networks are doing. The best thing that could happen in NASCAR send out a warning to the TV networks, or possibly even come up with a new contract that leaves TNT and other networks out. But the possibility of that happening are slim to none.

As long as NASCAR takes their money, it couldn't care less.  And that's too bad.  The networks are doing a poor job of selling the sport to both the long-time fans and the first-timers with mistakes like this. Sad

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: