November 22, 2017, 11:04:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble in Paradise?  (Read 471 times)
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« on: June 20, 2007, 05:32:59 PM »

Here's an article about Toyota cutting back on US manufacturing plants - or should I say 'assembly plants', since the parts are still made somewhere else.

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,284912,00.html

Plus they are going to restructure worker salaries. Bet it's not to give them raises...

The Rising Sun is sinking? Hopefully! It's all because Mikey ain't doing his job well enough :-)

Lou

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 05:59:20 PM »

"It would also reduce U.S. labour costs by revamping its pay policies, aligning hourly wages for new hires more closely with prevailing manufacturing pay in regions where each plant is located, the paper said."

And from everything I've always heard, these foreign-owned manufacturers plop their plants in very lost-cost of living areas, so of course they're now going to drop wages "accordingly." 

Cheryl
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 06:14:39 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 02:16:28 PM »

Honda may be the exception, Cheryl, although one of the attractions of Ohio is our relatively low cost of living, particularly housing.
 I don't know how they come up with language like that which you quoted above. They must be related to politicians!! Grin
 Do you think Baby Brian has figured out yet that dealing with the Japanese may not quite be like dealing with GM, Ford and Chrysler??

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 06:06:50 PM »

Remember also that some, if not all, of these plants were built at taxpayer expense through subsidies and tax breaks.  So the people in these areas lose in more than one way. Angry

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: