November 18, 2017, 11:21:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Abandoning a Sinking Ship?  (Read 1978 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: June 11, 2007, 06:26:43 PM »

From Jayski:

"Jarrett could leave MWR? XM Radio reported on Sunday that #44-Dale Jarrett, Michael Waltrip Racing and Toyota were re-evaluating Jarrett’s future with the team and could release him outright or sending him to a different Toyota team, either a current team or one that could switch to Toyota next season.(Ford Racing/XM Radio)(6-11-2007).

Cheryl
super61
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 08:14:12 PM »

i read that this morning and thought to myself. why would they let him go?? he is the most consistent of the MWR gang ( unless we could MW's consistently missing the field). the only reason he would leave is to keep what is left of his pride. he has a guaranteed contract, but i am sure the contents of that will remain sealed...he left one the the most storied and successful teams in nascar history for a paycheck....bam racing needs a full time driver...

ken
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 09:20:07 PM »

With all due respect, and I do respect D J, His productive days as a driver are behind him. I can't imagine that any competitive team is going to get excited about hiring him at this stage of the game.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 09:49:34 PM »

I wonder why Dale Jarrett would want to leave, but I agree with Dick.  He will find it hard to find a team that is interested in him due to the lack of recent performance (only one win since the start of 2004, not many other top finishes).

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 11:43:33 PM »

Now I've never been a DJ fan per se, so it's pretty funny that I'm the one who is standing up to defend him.  I guess I just don't buy into the thing that drivers are all of a sudden over the hill after they reach 45-50.  Put in the right equipment, Dale Jarrett has got as much as talent (or more) than some of the guys who have been to victory lane the last couple of years.  People seem to forget he was the champoin just a few years ago.  And that last win he had at Talladega in 2004 was a remarkable feat.  IMHO, just as noteworthy as Earnhardt's win there in 2000.  If DJ got back in a car supported by an American-owned company, I'd be cheering for him.   angel

Cheryl
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 11:57:54 PM by Cheryl » Logged
shawn
Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 11:56:27 PM »

It's hard to blame DJ when the other 2 MWR car's aren't setting the world on fire.  I think MWR stretched themselves way to thin with 3 cars.  They would have been better to start w/2 car team.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 12:32:40 PM »

Updates on this from Jayski.  Claire B. Lang said she didn't air any such story on XM, so it sounds like someone on a Ford website just made it up.  Pretty interesting if the rumor of the refunds to NAPA are true.

From Jayski:

"UPDATE: the Ford Racing site had the above posted, but removed it without explanation or update for a bad rumor, supposedly XMRadio said it was never aired.(6-11-2007)
UPDATE 2: Michael Waltrip failed to qualify at Pocono, making it 12 DNQs in 14 races this season, and adding more fuel to the fires of speculation surrounding his team. Unconfirmed reports continue to circulate about Waltrip refunding between $300,000 and $400,000 per missed race to his sponsor, NAPA Auto Parts, and about the unhappiness of Dale Jarrett’s sponsor, UPS. Jarrett also failed to make Sunday’s race -- his third DNQ in the last five events -- and there is talk in the Nextel Cup garage that he could be released by MWR, or moved to another operation. As a team, Waltrip, Jarrett and rookie David Reutimann have qualified just 22 times in 42 attempts this season.(Motorsports Soapbox/Dave Moody)(6-12-2007)"

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 04:27:57 PM »

That is a very disappointing performance by what was billed as the "glamour team" of the Toyota-backed owners.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 05:36:29 PM »

It's hard to blame DJ when the other 2 MWR car's aren't setting the world on fire.  I think MWR stretched themselves way to thin with 3 cars.  They would have been better to start w/2 car team.

Shawn, I don't disagree with you, and yes, a 3 car team was probably overdoing it for M W Racing.
 But, I stand by my original position. D J's cup came in 1999, I believe. I wouldn't begrudge him a ride, just that I believe his glory days are long since past. Remember, his dad knew when to say when. Grin

William James
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 05:55:50 PM »

Terry Labonte will replace Mikey at Sears Point and Watkins Glen.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 06:19:35 PM »

Terry Labonte will replace Mikey at Sears Point and Watkins Glen.

How disappointing for Terry to do this...he's one of my favorites.   Obviously no one is immune to the lure of big Yen.  Sad

Cheryl
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 06:22:47 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 06:58:14 PM »

Does T Lab automatically get in on a past champs provisional??

And I hate to gloat, (you are thinking , right, sure he does Grin), but I don't remember the new dodge teams hving this much problem making the races in their first season. Is that top 35 in points thing the reason?

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 07:14:05 PM »

Does T Lab automatically get in on a past champs provisional??

Not automatically, but he did run in races last year which is one criteria.  But he must be the "most recent" champion not in the top 35 to get it.  DJ would still outrank him, but then he's used up his alotment for this year already.  But Terry would trump Bill since he was champion in 1996 and Bill in 1988.

I don't remember the new dodge teams hving this much problem making the races in their first season. Is that top 35 in points thing the reason?

Probably has some impact, because the top-35 thingy didn't go into effect until 2005 (heard that on IWCR last night) and Dodge re-entered the series in 2001. 

Cheryl
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 11:37:36 PM »

Okay, guys and gals, this thread is deteriorating into driver bashing.  Please try to restrain yourselves.

Cheryl
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 11:39:24 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Vivian
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 01:50:44 AM »

Sorry if I offended anyone with my earlier post about DJ.  I have now removed it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: