November 23, 2017, 02:27:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pocono qualifying coverage on SPEED  (Read 659 times)
Steve
Wiley Veteran

« on: June 09, 2007, 03:17:31 AM »

Interestingly, the TNT crew was in the booth for Cup qualifying at Pocono today; it must be part of the new TV deal.

I forget, is TNT using Fox's truck/crew for their telecasts, or do they have their own? I noticed that the ticker on today's SPEED coverage moved faster than normal, and the font was normal instead of italicized; however, they were using the same old Fox qualifying telemetry display. I'm going to miss the Pace Chase graphic that NBC/TNT used to use.

Another thing I noticed is that Wally didn't seem to talk much throughout the broadcast. One person on the SPEED forums didn't even realize Wally was in the booth today. Tongue

I seem to remember the Wally/Kyle pairing working just fine last year for the Busch races; maybe Kyle just took on a more active role today or something.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 01:19:52 AM »

Interestingly, the TNT crew was in the booth for Cup qualifying at Pocono today; it must be part of the new TV deal.

I forget, is TNT using Fox's truck/crew for their telecasts, or do they have their own?

Actually NBC/TNT did their own qualifying shows half the time in the past.  Just used the SPEED group from time to time.  So this is nothing new.

As to "the truck;" all networks covering the Cup races use the same cameramen and behind the scenes folks.  This does not change when the network changes.  Each just brings in their own producer and director and "on-screen" talent.

Cheryl
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 01:30:13 AM »

Steve,

Don't know if you ever saw this article I did back in 2002 about the TV compound when I was fortunate enough to visit it while at Richmond.  I learned a lot of things I didn't know like how they all use the same techical crew:

http://www.speedcouch.com/otherreviews/2002/TV_compound.html

Cheryl
Steve
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 02:25:20 AM »

Interesting. I never realized that before; now I have a little better insight on this, and, like you were back then, I'm surprised how much of an influence the producers and directors alone have in making the same people create a broadcasts with completely different feels between the different networks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: