November 18, 2017, 08:51:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nascar Now and Wind Tunnel  (Read 445 times)
Vivian
« on: June 05, 2007, 10:00:02 PM »

Allan Bestwick was on Nascar Now Sunday night and he did an excellent job.  Great show and over way too soon.  We only turned there to see if he would be there and he was.  Not sure about yesterday but I set it to tape today.

On Wind Tunnel, Despain had some interesting guests.  Paul Tracy and a promoter whose name and track I cannot remember.  Maybe from Vermont but not sure.  However, he was excellent and had some great points about the short dirt tracks and how he does it.  His races are on Thursday night and are always packed.  There are specific rules to keep the cars in parity and they use crate motors, not to be confused with spec.  Two totally different things, right, Ken?  Competition is great and racing apparently is close all night.  He sounded like the promotors of old before everything got miscombobulated and people started getting into it for the $$$ rather than the pure racing.  I thoroughly enjoyed that man.

Hope some of you caught both shows.
super61
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 10:34:33 PM »

There are specific rules to keep the cars in parity and they use crate motors, not to be confused with spec.  Two totally different things, right, Ken? 

right viv, a crate motor is built by a manufacturer (GM being the most popular).

edit... oops pressed the save button to damn fast!!!!!

while a spec motor is built using specific parts from approved manufacturers (ie. brodix).. crate motors are built pretty much like the motor in your regular every day driver. they are dyno'd and tested to be within a specific tolerance. then factory tagged and sealed.

i can tell you firsthand the disparity in the cost of the sport.. the chassis on my car is almost 28 seasons old( never been bent, but refreshed ever few seasons) the motor was built from scratch in the garage and is  refreshed every week...the flip side of that is there are a few dirvers that have $20,000 Hutter Racing Engines that are put in a $18,000 rolling chassis.... all of this to win $2000 a week...both cars are competetive and proves that you don't have to spend a ton of $$$$$$$$ to do so....setting up with spec or crate motors is a great way to keep the car counts up and the stands full, plus if you are traveling to race, usually the only thing you have to worry about is the tracks tire rule, espcially if you run late models...

ken
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 10:46:05 PM by super61 » Logged
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 11:33:26 PM »

Interesting tech analysis from your first-hand experience Ken. Thanks.

Question - teams can't touch the spec motor (other than plugs and oil). What are they allowed to do to the crate motor?

Lou

Vivian
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 01:45:10 AM »

Thanks, Ken.  Knew I could count on you. Smiley

And, Lou, that is an excellent question...Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: