November 24, 2017, 11:15:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Angels photos  (Read 1068 times)
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« on: May 23, 2007, 10:09:48 PM »

Cheryl and I went to see the Blue Angels air show at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD today. It was a gorgeous day of weather and a perfect excuse to take half a day off of work! It's been 30 years since I last saw them, when I was stationed at Pensacola, FL in the Navy. They are still cool :-)

I'm so far from competent at taking photos of very fast jets against a blue, sunny sky and a lot of my shots came out overexposed or out of focus (or even empty since they went past before I clicked the shutter!). But a few are tolerable and if you're interested, I put some of them online to check out.

Still photos do NOT do them justice...

http://www.speedcouch.com/gallery/v/Blue_Angels

Lou

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 01:52:37 AM »

I saw the Blue Angels at El Toro Naval Air Station in 1992.  I still remember the majesty and the awe-inspiring moves vividly.

By the way, El Toro was closed just a year later and it will soon be the Great Park of Orange County.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 02:33:43 PM »

Still pics are better than nothing, Lou. Good work. Those guys are very, very good. Of course, around here there is probably a bit of partiality toward the USAF Thunderbirds,  Grin, but both teams are incredible if you ask me.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 08:03:35 PM »

Thanks for sharing these pictures with us.  I have only seen them once and they were breathtaking but that was many, many years ago...
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 03:14:24 AM »

Lou, thanks for sharing the photos.

As a former Marine, and USAF retiree, I have to concede...the Blue Angels put on the better show.  I believe they may have an aero advantage...more drag for carrier landings:)  You have to admire the "can do" spirtit putting on shows after losing a team member last (or was it this) month in Beaufort, SC.

If you ever feel the urge to reach out and help someone, please try to help a service member..they really need support in these days and times.

Sorry, didn't mean to go political, but that's just my sentiments and if they're inapporpriate please delete this post.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 12:29:52 PM »

As a former Marine, and USAF retiree, I have to concede...the Blue Angels put on the better show.  I believe they may have an aero advantage...more drag for carrier landings:) 

Hahahaha!  That's a good one, James!   Grin

If you ever feel the urge to reach out and help someone, please try to help a service member..they really need support in these days and times.

Sorry, didn't mean to go political, but that's just my sentiments and if they're inapporpriate please delete this post.

Having worked with the Army or Navy most of my life, I have no problem with that sentiment and don't consider it political.  I'm just asking that others don't turn this into a political discussion.

Cheryl

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 03:40:55 PM »

Semper Fi, James. I thought that your crack about "aero advantage" was funny, too.
(but I was not sure that you intended it to be). Grin

William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 05:50:56 PM »

As a former Marine, and USAF retiree, I have to concede...the Blue Angels put on the better show.  I believe they may have an aero advantage...more drag for carrier landings:)  You have to admire the "can do" spirtit putting on shows after losing a team member last (or was it this) month in Beaufort, SC.

The crash was, I believe, on April 23.  I know that it was a Sunday.  But the Angels and the NASCAR drivers share the same spirit: mourn for a while, then strap on the helmet again and move on.

As for the "aero advantage," wonder if any NASCAR teams took notice? laugh

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 02:32:22 AM »

Glad y'all found the humor intended.  Reckon I'll have to find another forum where the members aren't so sharp....any ideas what the URL is for MWR Racing or trying to race is?

Sorry, I'll try to behave.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 08:49:46 AM »

Glad y'all found the humor intended.  Reckon I'll have to find another forum where the members aren't so sharp....any ideas what the URL is for MWR Racing or trying to race is?

Sorry, I'll try to behave.
No, PLEASE don't behave!! Grin

William James
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 12:59:43 PM »

If the day ever comes where you cannot express patriotism for the good old U.S. of A on this forum., then someone else must have taken over my computer ....

Fly the flag all you want to James.

Lou

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 02:38:35 PM »

any ideas what the URL is for MWR Racing or trying to race is?

laugh  That's another good one, James!  I think you've become our "resident comedian."  Keep up the good work!

Cheryl
BillKP71
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 08:52:53 PM »

Thanks for posting the pix Lou and Cheryl!  Up until they closed my lab on the Severn I had the good fortune of seeing all their practices and shows going back to the mid-70's (when they were still flying A4's I think!). I was never able to take pictures as good as yours though. (They tell me some of you guys don't have to put film in your cameras anymore. Is that true?)

There was one year (maybe someone can help me remember when) that the Angels were grounded and the USNA "substituted" a flight of F14's from Norfolk. Not as fancy a show perhaps, but I think they vibrated a couple of my fillings loose ;-) Kinda sad to see the old Tomcats go away, but the F/A 18's aren't too shabby ;-)

Somebody sent me some terrific photos of the USMC Blue Angels plane (C130?). I'll send them to you sepcor Lou. If anybody else wants a copy please let me know.

God Bless you all real good.

Bill

ill

first things first, but not necessarily in that order
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 02:01:19 PM »

I was never able to take pictures as good as yours though. (They tell me some of you guys don't have to put film in your cameras anymore. Is that true?)

and we even have color now too :-)

Somebody sent me some terrific photos of the USMC Blue Angels plane (C130?).

To see what a real photographer can do with the same subject material - check out these photos - http://www.usna.edu/PAO/Photos/blueangels/gallery.php

Lou

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 02:58:21 PM »

I once had a great slide show of the Blue Angels from an e mail I had received, complete with sound, (from TOP GUN)--Take My Breath Away.  It was great, but I have no idea what I did with it.

William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: