November 22, 2017, 10:04:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speed and ESPN Talent additions  (Read 996 times)
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« on: May 17, 2007, 03:50:33 AM »

Did video really kill the radio star? Stewart joins SPEED's broadcast team
By The Associated Press

First radio, now TV. Two-time Cup champion Tony Stewart will further test his broadcast talents Saturday, when he works as a pit reporter for Speed.Stewart, who does a regular Sirius Satellite Radio program, will work during the qualifying event for the Nextel All-Star Challenge, NASCAR’s annual all-star race.The top two finishers will advance to the main event, in which Stewart is racing."Our announce team is like the New York Yankees – we have all-stars at every position,” said Speed producer Frank Wilson.Carl Edwards, J.J. Yeley and A.J. Allmendinger have agreed to be Speed pit reporters if they fail to make the All-Star Challenge.It’s all part of Speed’s first prime-time broadcast of a Nextel Cup race.

Kolber Joins ESPN Race Team

Suzy Kolber will join ESPN’s NASCAR team as host of the “NASCAR Countdown” show for ESPN and ESPN2. She’ll do the prerace shows for Busch Series races on ESPN2 on June 2 at Dover and July 14 at Chicagoland, then work Nextel Cup events starting at Indianapolis on July 29. Brent Musburger will serve as the host during race coverage for Nextel Cup races airing on ABC. She also will continue as a sideline reporter on ESPN’s "Monday Night Football."
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 12:11:34 PM »

First radio, now TV. Two-time Cup champion Tony Stewart will further test his broadcast talents Saturday, when he works as a pit reporter for Speed.

I'm betting we get a lot of unbiased commentary there... Roll Eyes

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 02:04:42 PM »

First radio, now TV. Two-time Cup champion Tony Stewart will further test his broadcast talents Saturday, when he works as a pit reporter for Speed.

I'm betting we get a lot of unbiased commentary there... Roll Eyes

Cheryl

Yeah right!

Musbarger has "big event presence"Huh? Spare me please. Roll Eyes

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 03:27:57 PM »

So ESPN adds another "talent" that knows nothing of NASCAR Roll Eyes

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 04:59:41 PM »

This is disturbing stuff! Evil

First of all, hiring drivers like Tony Stewart to be in the pits?  Who is he going to interview?  What kind of questions is he going to ask?  And how will he react if he doesn't get the answer he wants?  Most importantly, what regular pit crew reporter is being given the night off so that Tony and as many as three other drivers can play the role?

Then there's Neil Goldberg at ESPN.  I guess he was so happy with the concept of a pre-race booth studio with a host with no previous NASCAR background (or presumably knowledge) that he has copied it at ESPN/ESPN2/ABC.  Then he piles on by naming multiple NASCAR newbies.  When Kolber debuts at Dover, she will be the fourth such person this year! (after Brent Musburger, Chris Fowler, and Erik Kuselias)  Who's next?  Rikki Rachtman?  Ryan Seacrest?  Will Ferrell?  laugh

One final note.  The booth studio is not unprecedented.  Fox copied the idea from TBS, which used it for a few races.  I vaguely remember it at the 1999 Coca-Cola 600 with either Eli Gold or Ken Squier.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 04:54:13 PM by Desmond » Logged

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 05:30:20 PM »

TBS had the STP Pit Communication Centre (sorry for my bizarre Canadian spelling) throughout the 90's that was hosted by Rick Benjamin, Mike Hogewood, Allen Bestwick and Ken Squier among others I believe.
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 07:36:15 PM »

TBS had the STP Pit Communication Centre (sorry for my bizarre Canadian spelling) throughout the 90's that was hosted by Rick Benjamin, Mike Hogewood, Allen Bestwick and Ken Squier among others I believe.

Canadian spelling welcome here :-)

Speaking of Mike Hogewood, has he always been such a loud, over-the-top announcer? I can barely stand to listen to the Busch East broadcasts when he is commentating. I only have two nerves left and he grates on one of them...

Lou

Vivian
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 01:25:28 AM »

Desmond wrote in reference to Tony:

First of all, hiring drivers like Tony Stewart to be in the pits?  Who is he going to interview?  What kind of questions is he going to ask?  And will he "go postal" (80s term) if he doesn't get the answer he wants?

IMO, Tony knows racing and I am sure he will come up with some of the better questions. And about the 'going postal' remark, I think that was totally uncalled for.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 04:56:38 PM »

Vivian, thank you for your concern over the term.  I have edited the post to be more neutral.  In addition, I sincerely hope that Tony Stewart behaves itself on the air; the original comments were meant to be funny.  Obviously they were not.

Brenden, do you recall if the pit studio on TBS was used mostly during cautions or during green-flag racing?  Current use tips toward the latter.

UPDATE: Stewart did not appear on the NEXTEL Open telecast as a pit reporter and no reason was given for his absence.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 05:22:04 PM by Desmond » Logged

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
BrettBaldeck
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 01:56:21 AM »

One thing I have noticed with ESPN is they keep hiring random people. When the season started they alreayd had so many personalities working for them. How are they making any money with all the people they have to pay.

For example here are the people I can name off the top of my head that are personalities/commentators on NASCAR on ESPN telecasts. Dale Jarret, Rusty Wallace, Marty Reid, Dr. Jerry Punch, Andy Petree, Jamie Little, Shannon Spake, Allen Bestwick, Dave Burns, Vince Weltch, Mike Massaro, Tim Brewer, Erik Cusalious, Brad Dourty, Chris Fowler, and Brent Musberger.

All those people I just named have appeared on the ESPN Busch Series telecasts for at least one race this year. Why do they need sucha big staff? How are they making money. Why not just have 4 pit reporters, 3 commmentators, and 2 studio host/anaysts and keep them the same week after week. I know sometimes people need to take vacation. But ESPN has way to many people working for them. If that is possible. I hope people understand what I am getting at here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: