November 21, 2017, 11:56:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YooHoo !!!  (Read 1587 times)
Vivian
« on: May 18, 2007, 09:27:32 PM »

From Jayski:

Judge: Let AT&T into NASCAR logo race: A federal judge on Friday ruled that AT&T can replace a Cingular logo with its own on a NASCAR race car, following its absorption of the Atlanta-based wireless company. The decision marks an important victory for AT&T. The company sued NASCAR in March, alleging that the racing organization improperly prevented AT&T from putting its brand on the #31 car driven by Jeff Burton.The vehicle currently is branded for the former Cingular Wireless. AT&T took control of Atlanta-based Cingular in late December and is in the process of shedding the Cingular name. NASCAR objected to AT&T's proposal for adding its logo to Burton's stock car. The racing organization cited a deal with Sprint Nextel, which holds the title sponsorship for NASCAR's top racing series. NASCAR said its agreements with Sprint Nextel prohibit the addition of other telecommunications companies as sponsors. Judge Marvin Shoob, of the U.S. District Court in Atlanta, ruled that AT&T would be likely to win the case. He agreed with AT&T's argument that a change in brands is allowed under a grandfather clause that was put in place to protect Cingular, despite Sprint Nextel's deal with NASCAR.(Atlanta Journal-Constitution)(5-18-2007)

I think this is one big step and I think it is a giant decision against Nascar control
sally
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 10:20:29 PM »

YA HOO!

Sally
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 11:36:28 PM »

Not so fast ladies. Go back and read the updates on Jayski.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 01:08:43 AM »

Brian, I just read that on Jayski.  An emergency hearing on Saturday?  I am truly hoping this does not change the outcome.  If it does, then I will be sorely disappointed in that judge.  What can come out that he has not already considered?  He should have had all the facts when he made that ruling so if he does change it, then I will think there is something strange going on
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 01:29:08 AM »

Here's an article from Scene Daily

http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/2007/05/14/scene_daily555.html

NASCAR pledges to continue to provide a "sponsor friendly environment" - and they said it with a straight face....

Lou

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 03:23:23 PM »

Brian, I just read that on Jayski.  An emergency hearing on Saturday?  I am truly hoping this does not change the outcome.  If it does, then I will be sorely disappointed in that judge.  What can come out that he has not already considered?  He should have had all the facts when he made that ruling so if he does change it, then I will think there is something strange going on

Probably the only issue to be heard today would be whether or not to stay the effect of the decision untill the matter can be considered on appeal. That would present some issues regarding which the Court has not heard any evidence nor argument.
  If this ruling stands up, and KY Speedway wins its litigation, Hmmm, it could be interesting.
Some folks beach and moan about our "litigious" sp? society, but it sure beats suicide bombers!! Tongue Tongue Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
super61
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 06:12:18 PM »

this is just nascar following the appeals process...you know that little brian surely does not want the blue logo to be the big news story in the most publicized nextel event ever held.... but if you think back to kindergarden, blue and yellow make GREEN!!!!!!!!!

ken
sally
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 11:22:38 PM »

There is a pretty good lengthy explanation of the judge's ruling from the denied appeal.

http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/2007/05/14/scene_daily579.html

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 03:53:21 PM »

All I know is that as soon as Race Day came on yesterday, they showed a quick shot of the AT&T logos on Burton's car.  Later they showed them stripping off the Cingular logos and putting them on!   laugh

I noticed when Mikey Joy came on the air, he made a point of mentioning at least once that Burton was in the AT&T car.  I got the impression he was secretly happy that RCR had beaten NA$CAR on this.   Grin

Cheryl

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 04:14:06 PM »

There is a pretty good lengthy explanation of the judge's ruling from the denied appeal.

http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/2007/05/14/scene_daily579.html

Sally

Sounds like a pretty astute Judge to me. Of, I am a bit biased on these issues. Grin

William James
sally
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 04:29:39 PM »

I was particularly impressed with the judge pointing out that having a logo that no longer represents the company or going out of the sponsor business was much more harmful to AT&T than having a rival on a car was to Nexthell.

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 04:40:04 PM »

This is the part I really think makes the most sense:

"Sprint Nextel knew that its exclusivity was going to be impaired because it agreed with NASCAR in the Nextel Sponsorship Agreement to grandfather in certain competitors."

They might hope that other phone companies would drop out of Cup, but they did allow Alltel and Cingular in, so allowing AT&T to take over for Cingular doesn't change a thing IMHO.

Cheryl
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 02:19:03 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 01:47:07 PM »

I'd say that is very good analysis, ladies.

William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 04:37:57 PM »

Thank you, Judge Shoob! Smiley

I also must credit Richard Childress Racing for acting as quickly as they did to remove the old logos and putting in the new ones on the car.  Also, Burton had a new bodysuit for the evening, which was obviously made well in advance pending the ruling.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 05:07:29 PM »

Also, Burton had a new bodysuit for the evening, which was obviously made well in advance pending the ruling.

I'm sure you meant driver's suit, Desmond, but the term "bodysuit" just make me crack up.   laugh   Check this out:

http://www.bodysuit.com/menssizechart.html

As to the new logos, I always pick a bunch of little old ladies staying up all night embroidering the new logos on the driver and crew suits.  I know that this stuff isn't done by hand anymore, but for some reason, that visual image always comes to mind for me.

Cheryl
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: