November 20, 2017, 04:46:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newman Looking for a New Ride?  (Read 791 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: May 17, 2007, 12:24:58 PM »

This is interesting.  To me, it seems like when NA$CAR instituted the shock rules and a couple of things, it hurt the 12 team more than anybody.  After winning so many poles and races prior to 2005, Newman has only won once, I think in the last couple of years.  Maybe he'll go to DEI.   laugh

From Jayski:

"It might be difficult to see a ride better than with Roger Penske, one of the most famous names in racing. But #12-Ryan Newmanís name is suddenly out in the rumor mill. Itís been a while since Newman, a Purdue grad, was making headlines.(Winston Salem Journal), of NOTE: Newman is supposedly signed thru 2009, and supposedly has talked to a few teams about a ride in 2008, including Joe Gibbs Racing.(5-17-2007)"

Cheryl
shawn
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 11:19:10 PM »

I agree, once the shock rule came into effect the 12 car starting running poorly.  They changed the CC, and that didn't improve performance.  It wouldn't surprise me that he went to another team.

cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 03:03:56 AM »

Cheryl, interesting comment about Newman and DEI or was that the ellusive tongue in cheek emoticon?  I wonder about the future of DEI without Jr, but I do believe they'll survive and possibly even thrive without him.  I'm probably gonna tick some people off, but asides from restrictor plate tracks; Jr was only a moderately successful driver IMHO.  I'm really anxious to see how he does with another team where he's just another "star" rather than a corporate namesake.

I'd also like to see another quality driver; such as Newman (IMHO), come to DEI.  I deep down feel DEI was exerting to much emphasis on Jr's success rather operating as a team.  I reckon time will tell:)

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 02:59:45 PM »

Cheryl, interesting comment about Newman and DEI or was that the ellusive tongue in cheek emoticon? 

I was halfway serious...Based on the finishes of Truex and Earnhardt in most of the races this season, it would seem that Newman could do better than he's doing with Penske.  The tongue and cheek would be how everyone is predicting DEI will totally fall apart with Junior.  I don't believe that's going to happen, especially if they align themselves with Yates.

Here's an item from Jayski about another driver being considered for DEI.  Remember Paul Andrews used to work for them before moving the Petty.  And Tim won the BGGN race at Dover last fall which was pretty impressive IMHO. 

"Andrews tests for DEI been told and confirmed that Tim Andrews, son of #43 crew chief Paul Andrews, tested a DEI Chevy at Kentucky Speedway on Tuesday, May 15th. Andrews is running a part-time ARCA and Busch East schedule in 2007.(5-17-2007)"

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 04:40:07 PM »

Like you, Cheryl, I have faith in the future of DEI.  Everyone will be out to prove themselves next year.

Also, I heard from someone in the media (Larry Mac? Tim Brewer?) that drivers leave family-based teams all the time.  One example is when Dale Jarrett left Joe Gibbs Racing, where his crew chief (I think) was his brother-in-law.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 04:45:21 PM »

Oh, I don't have "faith" in DEI at all.  Just that JR is not irreplaceable.   laugh  Frankly, I know lots of winning drivers who would kill for the chance at the team that JR walked away from - first ones that came to my mind are Ricky Craven, Johnny Benson, Todd Bodine.  But then, I'm sure they aren't young enough by today's standards.  The heck with the fact they are all proven winners.

As to DJ being in a "family-based" team at Gibbs, that really wasn't the case at all.  He asked them to hire his brother-in-law as crew chief, but Makar stayed after DJ left and is still the heart of that team.  He was a huge part of Rusty's championship crew in 1989 at Raymond Beadle.

A better analogy would be Kyle leaving Petty Enterprises to run for various teams, including the Wood Brothers and Felix Sabatas. 

Cheryl
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 04:48:55 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 06:43:23 PM »

RAYNOND BEADLE, now there is a name from the past. I remembered him more as a drag racer than an owner. Pretty funny guy as I recall. Check him out on NHRA's top 50 drivers page.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 05:11:51 PM »

I had heard of Raymond Beadle due to winning the 1989 Cup title as Rusty Wallace's car owner, but not as a drag racer.  Interesting!

Here's the link to the page that Dick was referring to:
http://www.nhra.com/50th/top50/R_Beadle20.html

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: