November 24, 2017, 12:26:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcement on Earnhardt Penalty  (Read 2095 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: May 15, 2007, 09:25:48 PM »

Claire B. Lang on XM says the "official" word from NASCAR on the penalty should be coming out momentarily.  She says rumors among the teams are that it will be $100,000 fine, docked 100 points and 6-race suspension for the crew chief. 

Edit:  The above is official as of 5:30 p.m.  Eury suspended until July 4th and placed on probation til the end of the year.  100 driver points and 100 car-owner points.

Cheryl
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 10:37:49 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 10:37:26 PM »

Just checked the schedule and it's kind of interesting that Eury is off suspension in time to be at the Pepsi 400 at Daytona.   Wink

Cheryl
shawn
Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 11:01:40 PM »

ouch, nascar def came down hard on them. 

I wonder what advantage changing the mounting brackets gives a team.

super61
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 11:46:00 PM »

another episode of "as the lugnut turns".......

they weren't illegal brackets per say, the were one of the first brackets came up with and they were put on the car for the race.. however they were not the ones approved for competetion, hence large fine, large loss of points. and some free weekends.

they are saying they knew the parts were not approved but no where where they told they would be illegal.
i'm no huge junior fan, but i have to agree with max siegel and nascar's inconsistency with fines, yadda, yadda, yadda....
but that's for another post , another time

ken
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 12:48:58 PM »

Here's an interesting article from ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?seriesId=2&columnist=blount_terry&id=2871617

I couldn't remember how many points Mikey was fined for the Daytona "sterno" incident.  I knew he was still in the negative column, but not that it was 100 points as well.  So fining the 8 team 100 points is not unprecedented at this point.

On the wing issue and anything with the new car, every team got the bulletin that harsh penalties would come down for anything questionable.  In my job, the legal standard is that if the employee was "clearly on notice" as to what the penalty is for doing or not doing something, then management has the right to discipline them.  We'll never know if it was intentional or negligence, but either way, they were warned that any infraction would carry this type of penalty and IMHO, it would've been reasonable to exercise extra special care on these cars. 

Cheryl
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 02:42:09 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 02:40:18 PM »

Suppose Junior misses the chase by fewer than 100 points,....?? Shocked Shocked

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 02:46:28 PM »

they are saying they knew the parts were not approved but no where where they told they would be illegal.

And that kind of logic sounds o.k. to you?  Huh?  How can they possibly use that defense? Sounds like too many lawyers in that organization to me (no offense Dick  Grin). They knew they weren't supposed to use them, regardless of which word-game you choose to play.

The term "illegal" really belongs in the legal/law/criminal system, not in the sports world (except for steroids). However, the term "unapproved" is pretty clear to most common folk and sorta implies not to use them don't ya think???

The more they try to defend themselves, the deeper the whole gets. Just let it go, accept the penalty, and move along - like all the other dozens of NASCAR teams who have been caught cheating over the years. It's part of the risk of doing business.

Everyone in prison is innocent too....

Lou

« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 02:48:14 PM by Lou » Logged

Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 02:54:32 PM »

So what? Martin lost a championship by 26 points in 1990 due to an early season penalty for an "unapproved part" and you don't see me whining about it everyday.

O.k., maybe I do cry every once in a while ;-) When I'm not slicing my wrists over his "premature race finish" at Bristol one year....

The point is - life goes on. It's a sport. It's not life and death, it just seems like it....

Lou

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 04:19:10 PM »

We'll never know if it was intentional or negligence,

According to a DEI source's comments relayed to ESPN's Tim Brewer, Eury Jr. explained that the unapproved brackets were left there accidentally from an earlier test session.  In other words, not an intentional act in his eyes.

That is to be expected, of course.

But that doesn't change anything.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 06:45:23 PM »

So what? Martin lost a championship by 26 points in 1990 due to an early season penalty for an "unapproved part" and you don't see me whining about it everyday.

O.k., maybe I do cry every once in a while ;-) When I'm not slicing my wrists over his "premature race finish" at Bristol one year....

The point is - life goes on. It's a sport. It's not life and death, it just seems like it....

Lou

I fully agree, Lou, just so long as you arre prepared to explain all that to the "Junior Nation". Grin Grin

William James
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 07:07:52 PM »

I fully agree, Lou, just so long as you are prepared to explain all that to the "Junior Nation". Grin Grin

Not my job this month. I had it last month. I've been transferred to the Tony Stewart anger management group.

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 09:22:32 PM »

I fully agree, Lou, just so long as you are prepared to explain all that to the "Junior Nation". Grin Grin

Not my job this month. I had it last month. I've been transferred to the Tony Stewart anger management group.

OKAY, Lou--are you the group leader, or are you a paticipating member??

William James
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 11:19:23 PM »

And my dumb self thought the wings and brackets were issued as one piece...anyway the key to my doubting mind is Tony's comments about a lot of testing and we just put the wrong brackets on.  All that testing and they didn't know which one game a nanosecond's difference?

How long will it be until CASHCAR hauls 43 cars to the track, has the entrants draw numbers outta a hat and go racing the car drawn?

At first thought that seemed like a good idea, but after further review, it appears it's already happening in some of the lower open wheel series:)

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 12:31:14 PM »

Here's some interesting insight from Larry MacReynolds on the whole process.  At least now I understand how this may have gotten through one inspection since they just do a "random" check:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/6817794

And here's a good article from Monte Dutton on this issue.  I always like Monte's humor:

http://www.gastongazette.com/onset?id=4867&template=article.html

Cheryl
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 12:51:09 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 01:55:52 PM »

Good one, Cheryl. I like Monte too.
BUT, the "minions"--at least some of them, do not forget so easily. As Lou hinted at yesterday, there are some die hard Mark Martin fans who remember the points penalty Lou referred to, and used to bring it up on the Roush boards as often as possible. Grin
 What has it been, 16 or 17 years???

William James
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: