November 24, 2017, 01:00:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Car Song  (Read 1023 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: May 09, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »

This morning, driving to work, I happened to flip to the 60s station on XM and heard one of my all time favorite car songs by the Beach Boys, Shut Down.  Over the years, I've only been able to understand about 90% of the words, so looked them up just now.  Some pretty cool lyrics from way back then.  I'm sure Dick will remember this one too.  The one line I never could understand was the one about "Ram induction under the hood."   Smiley  Now this is the kind of song one of the TV networks ought to use for their lead-in! 

http://www.songlyrics.com/song-lyrics/Beach_Boys/Little_Deuce_Coupe/Shut_Down/19244.html

I actually have the album this is from that I inherited from my older sister when she got tired of it.   laugh

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 02:47:00 PM »

OK Cheryl, here is a hint. Do you remember the group of Mopar engineers who were very involved in drag racing in the early 60's (no, of course you don't, but maybe you have heard of them). They were called the RAMCHARGERS because Chrysler did a lot of research on intake manufold design involving the length of the runners and developing a charge effect in order to get more and more dense air into the cylinders.
 Some of the manifolds they developed were quite impressive, and did work to some extent.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 03:31:01 PM »

Do you remember the group of Mopar engineers who were very involved in drag racing in the early 60's (no, of course you don't, but maybe you have heard of them).

Actually I'm plenty old enough to remember the early 60s, just wasn't into racing then.  I haven't heard of that name for the group of engineers, but know what RAM air induction is, mostly from when it came out in the 1996 Trans Am.  Just couldn't understand that part of the line in the song.  The part about "I've got a fuel-injected engine under my hood was always clear."   Wink  They just pack a lot of racing terminology into those lyrics!   laugh

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 04:25:32 PM »

Sorry, I have not heard the song and cannot comment. Sad

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 04:35:50 PM »

Do you remember the group of Mopar engineers who were very involved in drag racing in the early 60's (no, of course you don't, but maybe you have heard of them).

Actually I'm plenty old enough to remember the early 60s, just wasn't into racing then.  I haven't heard of that name for the group of engineers, but know what RAM air induction is, mostly from when it came out in the 1996 Trans Am.  Just couldn't understand that part of the line in the song.  The part about "I've got a fuel-injected engine under my hood was always clear."   Wink  They just pack a lot of racing terminology into those lyrics!   laugh

Cheryl

In theearly days of drag racing, the term really had more to do with the manifold design. So the song was about 413 or 426 Ram Inducted Dodge vs a fuel injected Corvette, as I recall.
 I'll look for some pictures. Grin

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 07:59:11 PM »

Here's the link of a 1960 Chrysler with a "413" (like that talk about in the song) that Dick sent me.  Scroll down under the "engine" section to see the picture of the Ram induction engine:

http://www.jcauto.com/60FToreador.html

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 09:51:45 PM »

If I had an extra $75,000 or so lying around, I might be tempted to go for that one. Those big 300's impressed even we Ford fans! Grin

William James
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 04:44:34 AM »

Y'all, thanks for the nostalgia Cheesy  Cheryl I remember the song:)

Dick, I remember reading reviews of the Chrysler 300 by Tom McCahill in Popular Mechanics magazine in the early sixties and if memory serves me correctly he took it for a spin around the Daytona Speedway.  He ranted and raved about the power, acceleration and most everything else about the car and he was not always kind to the cars he tested.  I believe it was a "G" model he tested though.

Thanks again for the memories.l

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 07:55:56 AM »

"Uncle Tom" ranks in my top 5 all time favorite list of auto related writers. His first "road tests" were shortly after WWII, and you are correct, he never minced words. He and Big Bill were pretty good friends, probably Smokey Yunich too. (even tho Smokey was a thorn in France's side). Tom long advocated safety measures as they were developed by Nascar. He also seemed to get along well with the ole boys down South, even though he was a real New Yorker.
 A fascinating fella.

William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: