November 20, 2017, 04:45:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Major" Announcement  (Read 2778 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 05:28:14 PM »

From a RCR press conference earlier this morning:

Comments From Richard Childress, Owner of Richard Childress Racing 

Dodge Avenger 500, Darlington Raceway 

Richard Childress, owner of Richard Childress Racing, answered
      questions from members of the media at Darlington Raceway on Friday
      morning.

ON HIS THOUGHT ON DALE EARNHARDT, JR.'S ANNOUNCEMENT YESTERDAY: "Let
      me kind of tell you where I'm at on it. Dale Jr. just made a major
      decision in his career and in his life yesterday and out of the
      respect for Teresa, Dale Jr. and this situation, let's all give him
      some time to make the decisions that he needs to make and be fair.
      He's got a lot of tough decisions coming up with the direction he's
      going. I just think it's fair if we all let him have some space and
      some time to kind of think about what he wants to do in the future."

DO YOU WANT HIM?  "We will sit and talk, I'm sure. You know I'm
      hoping he's considering us but I think right now we just give him
      some time and space to do his own due diligence on the race teams
      that he's looking at."

DO YOU REQUEST HIM OR DOES HE REACH OUT TO YOU? "Well I've been
      friends of the family for many years and I'm sure the time will come
      we'll talk."

HAVE YOU HAD CONVERSATIONS WITH HIM YET? "No, not on this part of
      it. No, he just made his decision yesterday."

ON THE REPORT THAT THERE'S A DONE DEAL AND IF THERE'S ANYTHING TO
      IT: "No, it's nothing to that."

ON IF HE WOULD WANT TO BRING THE NO. 3 BACK FOR DALE JR.: "Like I
      said earlier, it's just way too soon to even talk about it. I
      apologize but we're here at Darlington, I got three teams that we're
      here trying to come down here and win the race with. Junior's going
      to be trying to win the race and I just think being fair to
      everybody, I think this is just something that has to be kind of
      settled. I know you're doing your job, everybody here is doing their
      job trying to talk about it. I just think right now let us
      concentrate on Darlington, give Junior a little time and a little
      space and he'll make the decision and he'll make the right decision
      and I want to see him go (with) what's best for Junior because I've
      known Junior since he was a very, very young man."

ON IF HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH TERESA EARNHARDT MAKES IT AKWARD: "I'm still friends with Teresa, the whole family and Dale Jr. and we'll
      see how it all pans out." 

Cheryl
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 04:40:47 PM by Cheryl » Logged
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2007, 01:13:00 AM »

Cheryl, thanks.  I thought the FOX announcements regarding Childress were premature and I admire Richard Childress's comments regarding giving Jr the time to sort things out after a somewhat "life changing" decision.  I'm sure I'll be sick of all the talk before Monday (maybe even Satruday:))

I really loved Tony's comment during qualifing...something to the extent "I'm glad he created all the media excitement; I could slug anyone and noone would even notice".  For some reason, I have to admire Tony.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2007, 03:50:15 PM »

Re tony---Me too, James. Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2007, 03:58:33 PM »

I thought his comments on Race Day yesterday were quite interesting.  Wendy Venturini was interviewing his crew chief and Tony threw water on them.  Then Wendy said something like "Your water is gone - what are you going to do now?" To which Stewart replied "Pretty much whatever I want..."  Kind of sums up his mindset IMHO...

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 05:12:10 PM »

To get back to the topic, what do you think of Ginn Racing as a possible home for Dale Earnhardt, Jr?  They have a fourth team in place (#39) and owner Bobby Ginn has the stated ambition of landing him.

Then there's this: Last night on Wind Tunnel (SPEED Channel), Ed Hinton speculated that Earnhardt Jr. could join Hendrick in a "trade" for either Kyle Busch or Casey Mears.  Earnhardt Jr. would join a team that has won championships (and for which he has already "driven" this season) and either Busch or Mears would be the centerpiece of Ginn Racing, he reasons.

Then, in "My Take," Dave Despain showed his adamant opposition to Dale Jr. driving the #3 because it would be a concession that Dale Jr. is not his own man and depends on the legacy of his father.

I disagree.  I still think that RCR and the #3 is the best option.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2007, 09:02:17 PM »

The only thing I have to say about the situation is that I personally think people should let Jr be his own person and stop harping on him to drive the 3 and replace his Dad. He does not need that thrown into his face all the time.  Just ask Hank Williams Jr about what that did to him.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2007, 09:17:52 PM »

The only thing I have to say about the situation is that I personally think people should let Jr be his own person and stop harping on him to drive the 3 and replace his Dad. He does not need that thrown into his face all the time.  Just ask Hank Williams Jr about what that did to him.

"Hey sawbones, I'm just carryin' on an old family tradition" Grin Grin

William James
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2007, 04:04:05 AM »

Dick, I like that one Grin and thanks Viv for the interesting comparison.

I believe Ed was onto something regarding the Hendrick deal, especially the recent champion thing.  I'm probably wrong, but I don't believe has had a champion since Dale Sr. and I can't help but wonder if Junior went there and didn't win a championship, the pressure on him would be tremendous.  I just don't know if Childress has the "stuff" to support three championship contending teams (but I not sure any other current team has that breadth of talented folks, facilities and equipment).  I really feel Childress would be much better off cultivating the 29 and 31 teams who've shown so much promise the last couple years.  I also agree with Hinton that something just doesn't seem right about the Childress/Junior thing.  Maybe Childress feels it would be morally wrong to take his best friends son away from the empire built by Senior?  I know that's a screwy idea and old fashioned thinking.  I may have the morals of an alley cat, but I do have morals and respect others so I'm not sure I'd feel real great in Childress's shoes giving Junior a ride in the current scenario and I have to wonder if Junior doesn't feel the same way.

Will Hendrick and Junior fit?  I have some ideas on that, but I've wasted enough bandwidth tonight so I'll tick off some more folks later.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2007, 12:23:50 PM »

Will Hendrick and Junior fit? 

I just don't see him fitting over there.  Rick has won his championships by hiring young guys and developing them along with some remarkable chemistry with their crews.  I don't see him changing this forumula after so much success. 

Also, I see bringing in someone who would steal all the limelight would be disrespectful to his two champions and, say what you will, but Hendrick is very loyal to his people.  Besides the fact the Hendrick General Manager has already stated they have four drivers and not in need of another.  I know the folks on my other group pointed out that statements like that have been known to change, but I just can't see it in this case. 

I really believe personality-wise, JR would fit better with the Gibbs' drivers (even more than Childress).  I think Harvick would have a lot of problems having carved his identity as Childress' high-profile driver to only be overshadowed by someone else.  Whereas, I think Stewart would welcome someone taking some of the intense scruitiny off of him for a change.

Cheryl
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 02:27:49 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2007, 02:19:02 PM »

Young Gibbs has said that it would be difficult for them to work Junior into their scheme of things, perhaps the beer sponsorship, whatever. Look for him at Ginn racing, in my opinion.

William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2007, 04:37:59 PM »

Young Gibbs has said that it would be difficult for them to work Junior into their scheme of things, perhaps the beer sponsorship, whatever. Look for him at Ginn racing, in my opinion.

That was my point exactly.  Joe Gibbs is a devout Christian and whether he would bend his morals to accept Budweiser, if indeed it insists on continuing to sponsor Earnhardt Jr., is a huge question.  Then again, in JGR's favor is Dale Jr.'s personal friendships with Stewart and Denny Hamlin.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2007, 02:39:53 PM »

From Jayski:  "DEI looking for #8 replacement, sponsor, may keep Bud: Dale Earnhardt Inc. (DEI) is working on finding a replacement to Dale Earnhardt Jr. for the #8 Nextel Cup car. "It's hard to say how far along we are," DEI executive board member John Story said Saturday prior to the Nextel All-Star Challenge. "We've had a lot of interest. We've obviously made a few phone calls ourselves. We've had a lot of unsolicited phone calls from some top athletes that are interested in it, but clearly I can't discuss any names. We don't have a template in mind for a driver other than we need a winner, we need another driver to complement our group, somebody that is capable of winning championships, winning races. Whether he's young or old is less important than making sure he's a top athlete that is a winner." DEI would likely need to either extend its current deal with Budweiser (which said it is reviewing its options in light of Earnhardt Jr.'s departure) or find a new sponsor to lock in a top-tier driver. "There will be a sponsor of that car, that's no doubt," Story said. "We won't be able to get a top-name, championship-caliber driver without a solid commitment from a sponsor."(SceneDaily.com)(5-21-2007)"

Cheryl
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: