November 22, 2017, 05:01:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting Article On Jayski Involving Darrell  (Read 546 times)
BrettBaldeck
« on: May 09, 2007, 01:00:02 AM »

Found this interesting article on JaySki today.
NHIS owner blasts Waltrip over track flap: New Hampshire International Speedway chairman Bob Bahre denied published reports today that NASCAR had threatened him to keep him from selling his track to Kentucky Speedway. “Absolutely no truth to that,” Bahre said. “NASCAR never said a word to me about not selling to (Kentucky Speedway).” Bahre said he has been approached numerous times by Kentucky Speedway officials to sell the track in the hope they could obtain one of NHIS’ Nextel Cup races. In an attempt to convince NASCAR to take a Cup date away from NHIS and give it to Kentucky Speedway, Bahre said former three-time Cup champion Darrell Waltrip, who was a paid consultant of the Kentucky facility, blasted NHIS after Adam Petty and Kenny Irwin lost their lives in practice-related crashes in Loudon in 2000. “(Waltrip) ran us into the ground when (Petty and Irwin) got killed here and that bothered the hell out of me,” Bahre said. “I have no respect for Darrell Waltrip.” Bahre noted that Waltrip deemed NHIS unsafe for NASCAR and that he said races should not be held there until the track was made safer.(Boston Herald)(5-8-2007)

I do like Darrell but it does sound like something he would say. Pretty harsh words coming from the track president.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 01:22:12 AM »

Needless to say, I hate defending DW, but I don't remember him saying anything about NH after Adam and Kenny were killed that I didn't think myself (as did many fans).  IMHO, that track should never have hosted another race after that.  Apologies to Shawn and those from up in that area, but I've just never cared for the place and the quality of racing it produces.  And to lose two bright young rising stars just put me completely off of the place.

I am certainly no fan of "buying" race dates since that's how Bahre acquired his 2nd date by canibalizing NW's two dates between he and Bruton Smith, but it would be poetic justice if he lost one or both dates in the same fashion.  Won't happen though. 

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 01:47:54 AM »

Brett, was this something that DW supposedly said recently or way back in 2000 when Adam and Kenny were killed?  The way it reads to me is that he said it recently.

IMO, when you get right down to it, it appears that DW is always self serving and he is always saying something that leads to speculation or ideas by someone else.

Politics is one of Nascar's biggest assets and they use it to the ultimate as I see it.

BTW, who owns Kentucky and are we sure the Waltrips have no monetary interest in that one??? STTA
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 04:42:31 PM »

I also think that this sounds like someone he would say in 2000, instead of more recently.  Still, the fact that Darrell Waltrip has been a track consultant bears watching.  Could this combined with the antitrust lawsuit open the door for Kentucky to be added to the Cup schedule?

Then again, as I have written, this is another 1 1/2-mile track.  So the quality of overall racing will not be improved.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: