November 25, 2017, 10:48:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DEI to buy RYR?  (Read 461 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: April 30, 2007, 12:31:15 PM »

I'm sure everyone else already saw this, but we were internet deprived while at the USAR race this past weekedn.  I was surprised there was no discussion about it on here.  I really can't understand what Jayski has posted.  Are they saying RYR would change to Chevys or DEI to Fords?  Also, to me this is just part of the unintended consequences of the 4 team rule.  Rather than cutting the big teams down to 4 teams, now we have everyone building up to 4.   Sad  IMHO, that's certainly not good for the sport.  Sounds too much like the dreaded franchising.

From Jayski:

" It was reported on SPEED's NASCAR Raceday that Dale Earnhardt Inc (DEI) is interested in buying Robert Yates Racing (RYR) and RYR is interested in joining forces with DEI. It was also reported that the teams would end up being in the Chevy camp.(4-29-2007)
UPDATE: In attempts to strengthen its teams and expand to four cars, Dale Earnhardt Inc. [#'s 1,8,15] has had preliminary discussions with Robert Yates Racing [#38, #88] about a partnership, as well as Ford Motor Company and another manufacturer, DEI executive team member John Story confirmed Sunday morning. While the company also is in the midst of contract negotiations with NASCAR's most popular driver, Dale Earnhardt Jr., DEI is working toward trying to solidify its future. That means getting the finances and the technological support it needs from a manufacturer and working toward fielding a fourth team by 2008 or 2009, said Story, who oversees sales, marketing and communications activities at DEI. What would be more startling would be the potential move to Ford or another manufacturer considering Chevrolet's long relationship with team founder Dale Earnhardt. The Chevrolet deal is not contingent on Earnhardt Jr. remaining at DEI, Story said. Yates said his team would remain Ford. Story said that talks with Yates could continue even if DEI remains with Chevrolet.(in part from SceneDaily.com)(4-29-2007)"

Edit:  Here's an article on this from Tom Jensen at SpeedTV.com:
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/nascar/nextel/37014/

Cheryl

« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 06:59:11 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 04:17:04 PM »

Isn't this putting the proverbial cart ahead of the proverbial horse?  What happened to having the biggest priority at DEI signing Dale Earnhardt, Jr. to a long-term contract to end the speculation once and for all? Huh?

Here's another update from Jensen, the first of several items on this page:
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/nascar/nextel/37092/
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 04:22:00 PM by Desmond » Logged

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 04:26:49 PM »

Isn't this putting the proverbial cart ahead of the proverbial horse?  What happened to having the biggest priority at DEI signing Dale Earnhardt, Jr. to a long-term contract to end the speculation once and for all? Huh?

Here's another update from Jensen, the first of several items on this page:
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/nascar/nextel/37092/
It is probably a smokescreen, Desmond. DEI doesn't reall want to take the chance of not signing Junior, so they are trying to squeeze him a bit.
 Actually, I kinda like the idea of a 4 car team made up of the current DEI and RYR stables, with Junior and whoever driving Fords. That could strengthen Ford's Nascar position, and give one of the Roush drivers a place to go. Cool, huh? Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 10:59:50 PM »

I'm not sure what to make of this.  It would really shock me to see RYR leave Ford and DEI leaving Chevy (rather GM letting DEI go) would be even more shocking.  I really believe it's a ploy on the part of both DEI and RYR to get a little more factory support from their respective factories.  RYR has struggled the last few years compared to the Roush Fords and DEI appears to have fallen behind the Hendrick and Childress teams.

I really don't see the merger happening, but then Mark Martin is driving a Chevy so anything's possible I guess.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 04:57:30 PM »

Believe it or not, there is a history between Dale Earnhardt Inc. and Ford, in a sense.  From 1981 to 1983, Earnhardt drove for Bud Moore, who was affiliated with the Ford program.  In fact, the origin of the use of DEI's car number 15 goes back to those years.  When Moore's son, Little Bud Moore, sold the team in 2000, the number was transferred to DEI, although NASCAR briefly reassigned the new owner #16.  That #16 team never made the track and the number of course is now used by one of the Roush Fenway Racing teams (Greg Biffle).

Source: http://www.jayski.com/pages/2001teams.htm

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: