November 21, 2017, 11:09:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HANS device  (Read 564 times)
Vivian
« on: May 02, 2007, 08:58:57 PM »

After seeing the news on Kyle Busch's hans device cracking I was wondering why they are not inspected very thoroughly after each race, especially if the driver has crashed.  And I wonder if the one Kyle was using was the same one that he was using in all the races that he has crashed in this year, including the bad Busch ones.  Just like a helmet, they are vulnerable to damage when they are shaken so often and the integrity of the unit must be compromised.

Apparently, the man who invented them said the crack was really no big deal. 

Hopefully, this will make Nascar stress to all owners, teams and drivers the should do thorough inspections before each race.
shawn
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 01:53:38 AM »

I would think drivers that run Busch and Cup have separate HANS devices for each car. 

It should be part of inspection that the drivers helmet and HANS device need to be looked at.

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 04:31:23 PM »

I second both the opinions so far.  After all, the next time this happens may be worse.  A driver would lose his protection and be in risk of at least serious injury.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
super61
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 04:51:25 PM »

as a driver myself.. all of my protective gear is checked by MYSELF, prior to leaving for the track.. my safety is left in no one elses hands...

ken
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 09:05:34 PM »

Ken, when Don was racing he always inspected his helmet thoroughly, after the race and then again just before the next race, whether it was his motorcyle one or his stock car one.  And he would only buy Bell and replaced it every two years even if it did not need it.  This was back in the 70's and 80's even though he had been riding and racing since the late 50's.  And he always wore full face after they came out and that is what I had to learn to use when we got our dirt bikes and went riding or when we used his Gold Wing to take trips. 

Aahhh, those were the days... Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: