November 24, 2017, 04:53:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yeah, I watched it once!  (Read 356 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: May 03, 2007, 04:49:22 PM »

The recent comparison by Tony Stewart of pro wrestling to NASCAR racing reminds me that, before I was a huge NASCAR fan, I was a huge pro wrestling fan.

I caught the bug in early 1988 and it stayed with me until around 2000.  Back then, there was room for a lot of it.  On top of the heap then as now was the World Wrestling Federation.  It has the East Coast address, the celebrity glitz, and of course WrestleMania.

In the South was Jim Crockett, who pieced together his own organization, the National Wrestling Alliance, out of some of the regional promotions in the region.  It began in much the same way NASCAR did, by appealing to many of the same types of fans.

There were also, at various times during this period, the AWA in Minnesota, World Class in Texas, GWF in Memphis, the ECW the first "attitude-based" promotion, and even GLOW for the females.

It was fun to be a fan back then because there were so many choices.

Unfortunately, by 2001 everything was gone except for the WWF (now WWE).  That's when I stopped watching.  It was no longer fun.

Since then, the TNA has formed in Tennessee and it even signed Kurt Angle and Sting.  But few people know about it compared to WWE.  In the meantime, the WWE, which is obviously bored, began competing with itself with Raw, SmackDown!, and ECW.  The UFC and IFL mixed martial arts have now approached WWE in popularity.

I wonder if any of you out there have also watched wrestling, and if so what are your memories and whether or not you still watch.  (This might bring Bryan back, I know he loves it!)

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: