November 19, 2017, 02:08:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NASCAR's Real Challenge  (Read 1050 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: April 19, 2007, 12:58:26 PM »

I rarely read anything on NOL, but the title of this on Jayski intrigued me.  The author makes some really good points IMHO:

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/opinion/04/18/dcaraviello.fans.ratings/index.html

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 03:18:03 PM »

Interesting, but what I think is REALLY interesting, is the fact that here we are, early in the season, and so many writers are writing about the same topic, namely the apparent decline in Nascar's popularity, and the disparity between the "old" fans and the "new" ones. Something seems to have struck a nerve with someone.

And besides, Baby Brian can NEVER make up to me for screwing up the Southern 500, never. Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 03:20:44 PM »

And besides, Baby Brian can NEVER make up to me for screwing up the Southern 500, never. Grin

Well if he moved the Labor Day weekend race back to Darlington after the rennovations, that would a go a long way in making it up to me!   Grin  Not that it will ever happen, but I can dream...

Cheryl
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 03:45:35 PM »

I've said it here before, the anti Toyota crowd kept their word and stayed away Wink

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 04:18:22 PM »

David Caraviello wrote a "fair and balanced" article.  He put the NASCAR challenges into proper perspective compared to that of other sports, but at the same time warned that NASCAR must find room for all kinds of fans if it is to survive. Smiley  Will the officials heed the advice?

P.S. The fan in the Santa Claus hat is funny!  Especially if it was taken in the middle of summer. laugh

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 04:40:37 AM »

Interesting link and thanks Cheryl.

As most of you know, my glass in normally half empty at best, but I found his comparisons sorta like comparing oranges to tangerines.  Granted NASCAR and stick and ball sports are both sports in my opinion, but the difference is the stick and ball sports teams are franchises and these franchises have a say in league decisions, contracts, etc. NASCAR is pretty much an autocratic (trying to be nice here) operation  seemingly hell bent on exerting it's power.  Baby Brain is much like John Paul Jones, "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead"; but NASCAR's hull seems to wearing a bit thin.

Ironically, I just read a similar article on autoextremist.com by Peter DeLorenzo (found on Jayski).  I won't post the link here since it contains some PG-13 language, but you can find it easy enough.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 01:37:50 PM »

good point, James.

William James
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 01:40:36 PM »

Well if he moved the Labor Day weekend race back to Darlington after the rennovations, that would a go a long way in making it up to me!   Grin  Not that it will ever happen, but I can dream...

Cheryl

Well, that WOULD help, but I would still resent his audacity and arrogance in even thinking of moving one of the absolute great Nascar traditions. Angry

William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 05:04:53 PM »

Another article on the same subject:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/custom/extras/la-spw-hinton20apr20,1,5903229.story?coll=la-sports-extras

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 05:16:15 PM »

A quote from Ed Hinton's article:

"In the national free-for-all for sports fans' attention and money, "If you're going to be cannibalized, you want to eat yourself," says Dick Glover, NASCAR's vice president of broadcasting and new media."

Now what the hell is THAT suppose to mean?   Huh?

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 05:38:26 PM »

"In the national free-for-all for sports fans' attention and money, "If you're going to be cannibalized, you want to eat yourself," says Dick Glover, NASCAR's vice president of broadcasting and new media."

Cheryl
 ???Beats me. Holy Toledo, what a dumb statement. Roll Eyes

William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 11:23:22 PM »

I don't know, either, but if the old cliche is true, NASCAR ought to change its name to "Pop", as in "pop will eat itself." laugh

Some rock music guy said it once, I think.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: