November 21, 2017, 11:11:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dale Jarrett Subs for Rusty Wallace  (Read 541 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: April 09, 2007, 07:55:59 PM »

Rusty mentioned this during Saturday's broadcast. 

From Jayski:

"Dale Jarrett to Make Debut as ESPN NASCAR Analyst at Texas: Dale Jarrett will begin the transition to what may be the next phase of his career this weekend when he joins ESPN2 as booth analyst for live coverage of Saturday’s Busch race at Texas. Jarrett will appear on 10 of this season’s Busch telecasts while continuing to race fulltime in the Nextel Cup Series. Jarrett has indicated that 2008 will be his last year of driving and has hinted that a more expanded television presence may be in his future. “Over the last few years, TV was something that I have taken more interest in and looked more at because I want to stay involved in the sport,” he said. “This is the perfect chance that ESPN is offering me to see if it’s something that I really want to do and want to look at after 2008 to do maybe closer to full time. And to find out if it’s something I can do and if ESPN would be interested in having me.”(ESPN PR)(4-9-2007)"

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 08:24:50 PM »

Gee I hope my guy Matt Kenseth isn't in the Busch race!! Grin Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 01:33:42 AM »

I have mixed emotions about this one.  I'd always respected the Jarrett family, at least Ned, Glenn and Dale, until the big money jump by Dale to Toyota (I know, I'm too old fashioned).  I also realize Ned took some hits regardiing professionalism and objectivity for his emotional outburst when Dale won the Daytonal 500, but I thought of it as plus for family and NASCAR.  I may overcome some of my bitterness towards Dale if he's half a good a broadcaster as his dad was; which would be better than 85 percent of today's self serving talking heads.

Sorry if I bashed anyone but that's my thoughts on Dale as a broadcaster Shocked

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 04:45:58 PM »

No apology necessary as far as I'm concerned, James, because I totally agree! So there!! Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 04:55:39 PM »

I didn't see any bashing in your post at all, James!  The most classic line in racing (since I've been following the sport) has got to be "It's the Dale and Dale Show..."  No matter how hard Fox tries, they can never match the spontaniety of that comment.   Grin

While I'm not happy with DJ selling out to the Toy cars, I think he'll do a good job as an announcer.  He's articulate and I think he'll follow his Dad's excellent example and not show any personal bias when commentating.  I never saw Ned as a driver, but the "Gentelman Ned" name described him as an announcer as far as I'm concerned.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 05:07:53 PM »

GOOD LUCK DJ!

As a broadcaster, he has a lot to live up to, but I am confident in his abilities.  I have heard Jarrett interviewed, and he is intelligent and concise.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 06:10:32 PM »

Although Rusty does talk about Steve and Mike, it is not over done, imo.  Also, I noticed that if there is controversy about either, he  usually remains quiet.

I never resented the way Ned responded when Dale beat Dale at Daytona.  It was also cool to see his Mom's reaction in the motorhome.   I think Dale will do okay but I hate he took the $$$ from Toyota but then everyone likes to retire well and I am sure he will.

No problem with your post, James, AFAIC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: