November 18, 2017, 11:22:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Driver Rates the New Car  (Read 708 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: April 05, 2007, 02:04:54 PM »

Interesting "rating" of the new car from Ricky Craven.  I love his points about how slowing the car down can make for better racing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news;_ylt=AtyBQcFwnqWe2z0r_ZqfaG_ov7YF?slug=rc-caroftomorrow040507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 04:31:25 PM »

I agree with Ricky!  The COT is not as bad as I thought it was going to be.  The only drawback I see is the "spec car" look.

Also, remember that teams must pay for two kinds of cars.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 08:33:28 PM »

Thanks for that link, Cheryl.  It was a good article.

Ricky Craven wrote:

Drivers and teams have been put back to work.

That within itself is a good plus for the car.  It will be interesting to see how they handle and hold up at some of the bigger tracks.
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 12:22:15 AM »

I'm withholding judgment on the COT.  I'd rather wait for a couple of the intermediate tracks where the aero differences should be more pronounced.  Thus far, it seems the same teams having success with the COY are still having success with the COT.  I sometimes feel the strong teams at the time would also be the teams to beat in a NASCAR soap box derby.  The only exception seems to be the restrictor plate tracks where one team finds a trick and dominates for a few years; i.e. DEI.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 01:14:09 AM »

I'm withholding judgment on the COT.

I have to agree with James. While I like the look of the COT, 2 races on short-tracks is nowhere near enough real racing to prove ANYTHING about the new car. Heck every once in a long while, the fools behind the wheels can actually string together two good races with the OLD cars too... Give me more races before declaring either victory or defeat.... let's not jump to the gun too quickly like the media that we despise for doing just that.

Lou

shawn
Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 02:00:45 AM »

I think the big test is when they get to tracks like Phoenix, Dover and the larger tracks.

sally
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 02:32:15 PM »

Way too early to tell whether this car will be good or bad.  With the majority of the races on tracks 1 1/2 miles or longer, the short track debut was just a shakedown...to find things out like burning foam and weak exhausts, one assumes?  It told us nothing about how those splitters and wings will affect the air around the cars.  It did give Nascar an opportunity to declaim how 'wonderful' the debut of the car was, without proving a thing.  I say the jury's still out.

Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 06:30:17 PM »

Darlington will be the biggest test of the COT, I think.  This is where the driver battles both the track and the drivers with the abrasive track surface.  Will the "Track Too Tough to Tame" be too tough for this new model?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: