November 21, 2017, 01:18:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARCA Race Not Televised  (Read 4644 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: April 04, 2007, 12:45:52 PM »

Just saw a mention that there would be an ARCA race at Nashville Saturday in conjuction with the Busch race.  Checked the ARCA page and it's not being televised.  Guess SPEED can't be bothered.  I know ARCA isn't the greatest racing out there, but that just stinks. 

They raced at Lakeland a couple of weeks ago and that wasn't televised either.  I guess SPEED only bothers with the ones that are companion races to Cup these days.   Angry

Edit:  Checked the program schedule for SPEED for Saturday and they're showing snowmobile racing during the timeslot for the ARCA race.  I'm pretty sure that's canned programming.  Pretty sad that that they can't show live racing instead.

Cheryl
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 01:02:19 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 05:34:38 PM »

Edit:  Checked the program schedule for SPEED for Saturday and they're showing snowmobile racing during the timeslot for the ARCA race.  I'm pretty sure that's canned programming.  Pretty sad that that they can't show live racing instead.

This is the same network that chose not to show the final practice for the Cup race last weekend, instead showing the Barrett-Jackson car auction for eight straight hours.  At least Mike Joy was at the auction.[sigh]

Then again, they also thought that the SPEED Road Tour Challenge - aka "Who Wants to Work in a Junkyard?" - was more deserving of air time than NASCAR Beyond the Wheel. Evil

P.S. A short version of Beyond the Wheel is now part of NASCAR RaceDay.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 05:35:30 PM »

It has to do with the fact how much it would cost Speed channel to do a production versus how much of a return they'll get on their investment. Obviously they feel it's not worth it. Despite popular belief Speed Channel is a business.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 05:53:57 PM »

It has to do with the fact how much it would cost Speed channel to do a production versus how much of a return they'll get on their investment. Obviously they feel it's not worth it. Despite popular belief Speed Channel is a business.

Then can you explain to me how HDnet has been able to broadcast (live) the Busch North and Winston West (now Grand National East and West) races the last 3 years?  They are a commercial-free network.  And HD is certainly not cheap.

I'm not being a smart-ass, but am asking a serious question.

Thanks,
Cheryl "I just have a lot of issues with SPEED lately - they appear to want to drive every other stock car series but NA$CAR out of business"
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 06:04:44 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 11:06:48 PM »

Speed obviously feels that they would not get a return on sending an entire crew to Nashville to do the race. In the past FX was doing the Busch race so they could use the same crew but with ESPN2 doing the Busch race it's not nearly as practical for Speed channel. With HDnet as you say they don't have commercials so selling ad time isn't really an issue. But why can't ESPN2 cover the ARCA race? Or any other channel for that matter. ARCA isn't exclusively contracted to Speed. Obviously ARCA isn't doing a great job selling their product to TV.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 04:39:12 PM »

But why can't ESPN2 cover the ARCA race? Or any other channel for that matter.

Brenden, what room is there for ARCA on the ESPN2 program schedule?  They have lots more sports to cover than SPEED Channel does.  The only way that would work is if they agreed to an edited one-hour show, like Hooters USAR ProCup has.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 04:47:32 PM »

But why can't ESPN2 cover the ARCA race? Or any other channel for that matter.

Brenden, what room is there for ARCA on the ESPN2 program schedule?  They have lots more sports to cover than SPEED Channel does.  The only way that would work is if they agreed to an edited one-hour show, like Hooters USAR ProCup has.

My point is I believe the fault lies entirely with ARCA not aggressively pursuing an enticing television deal for any network or cable channel. Obviously the networks feel it's just not worth it at this point.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 04:58:32 PM »

I guess (as a fan), I thought SPEED was in the business of showing racing.  And when there is very little live racing going on, such as this weekend, I would've thought they'd want to show it to their viewers.  I guess I've never been able to wrap my mind around the business being all about selling commercials or making money.  It's just very hard for an average working person like me to understand why they wouldn't want to show live racing.

Also, from what I was told in the TV compound in Richmond in 2002, if the TV crew is there for ESPN, it's not a big deal for SPEED to use the same crew.  Just bring in their own producer/director and booth/pit personnel.  That happens all the time, so it's not a case of them having to "bring in" a whole new crew.

But, what do I know?  I'm just a fan who wants to see live racing if it's happening.  Even if it is only ARCA.   Wink

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 08:45:59 PM »

Like Cheryl, I thought Speed was in the business of showing racing.  But obviously they can sell more commercial time by putting on shows that are the style of a lot of viewers these days.

As far as ESPN, they do some good reporting somewhat on racing, but they also seem to be in the business to promote a lot of worthless "show" type shows which is what most viewers are demanding rather than what, IMO, has been some worthwhile traditional sports reporting.  The only time I watch ESPN is when NHRA or Busch racing is on.  To me the rest of their shows are for other type people.

To say the least, I am almost sorry ESPN has gotten back into racing.  JMO....
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 05:03:50 AM »

ARCA is an abnormality to me.  I just can't fit the series into my lil brain.  I thought the series would improve on many levels with all the buschwackers as another route to NASCAR, but it doesn't seem to be happening.  Several of their races don't get TV coverage and I see that as a drawback to series/driver development. It really seems to me many channels have stopped providing motorsports coverage...USA, TNT, and others.  The cable channels were willing to promote racing when they were carrying some of the bigger series but NASCAR and the larger networks pushed them out subsequently the smaller networks refocused on more exciting things like poker, pool, syncronized swimming, etc.  I really used to love the old TNN racing shows(: 

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 12:26:12 PM »

The cable channels were willing to promote racing when they were carrying some of the bigger series but NASCAR and the larger networks pushed them out

A very keen and true observation. It's happening to our favorite series - USAR - right now. Forced into worse timeslots, forced to pay higher costs, and forced to reduce programming length "or else". The schoolroom bully is still out there stealing lunch money....

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 02:39:08 PM »

The cable channels were willing to promote racing when they were carrying some of the bigger series but NASCAR and the larger networks pushed them out

A very keen and true observation. It's happening to our favorite series - USAR - right now. Forced into worse timeslots, forced to pay higher costs, and forced to reduce programming length "or else". The schoolroom bully is still out there stealing lunch money....

Yep, I agree with both of you. Humpy says that it is important to put people in the seats, but he better start looking at what the big money folks have done to the sport. Oh well. I still like old trucks. Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 09:06:11 PM »

Speaking of ARCA, I just read yesterday that Erin Crocker is going back to ARCA.  Summary of the story was that she advanced too soon and all the trucks around her made her a bit nervous. Don't recall them saying anything about Busch.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 10:11:15 PM »

That is interesting, Vivian. I'm not quite sure what to make of that.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 11:25:46 PM »

This is what was on Jayski so thanks, Jayski!

Crocker back in a race car: After a foray into the Craftsman Truck Series, Erin Crocker, 26, is starting back at square one with a limited ARCA schedule. "Part of me is upset because I don't have a big schedule, but at least I'm getting to race," she said. "I've had the big hype. What I need now are positive results." Team manager Keith Barnwell has been Crocker's spotter for the past two seasons. Barnwell, who worked with NASCAR driver Sterling Marlin years ago, sees potential in Crocker. "She's very personable and down-to-earth and that's a good start," Barnwell said. "Everybody on the team likes her and wants to do all we can to help her succeed. She's intelligent, she knows the sport and she's not afraid to go fast." Moving too fast? "She's a great qualifier," Barnwell said, noting Crocker's four ARCA poles, "but it's taken her time to get used to running around other cars in close quarters. Last year (in the truck series) was a whole new world for her. There's no margin for error. You could see her frustration, but she bounces back." Her best ARCA finishes are a pair of seconds at Kentucky Speedway and at Kansas Speedway. That ties her with Shawna Robinson as the highest-finishing woman driver in the series' history. Crocker admitted "maybe I was pushed too fast," and said team owner Ray Evernham has been supportive and encouraging. "He's understanding and he believes I can do it," she said. "It's been more difficult than I thought it would be, but I'm determined to succeed in this sport."(Tennesean) and Crocker has a four-race sponsor in ARCA with Mac Tools.(Evernham Motorsports PR)(4-5-2007)

So that is it.  Interesting, huh?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: