November 24, 2017, 12:24:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IndyCar on NASCAR weekends?  (Read 637 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: April 03, 2007, 04:53:27 PM »

According to a blurb on ESPN2's NASCAR Now last night, IndyCar Series owner John Barnes has suggested to the sanctioning body that it hold companion races to the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series.

That baffled me.  Is this some sort of admission of defeat by the IRL?  Are they saying we'll never be as big as NASCAR, so let's drop to a Saturday afternoon attraction?  With NASCAR people no doubt on hand at the IRL races, will all their top drivers defect?  And if there indeed is a schedule change, is it the end of the Busch Series?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
super61
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 10:55:49 PM »

1. look at many other major touring series, they share the weekend with quite a few different series
2. how does this sound like defeat? sounds like a marketing idea to me
3. the IRL lost the "bigger than NA$CAR" battle along time ago
4. who is to say, just because i am at the same track as a cup/irl that i would attend both? i am there to watch the race i want to see
5. top irl drivers jumping ship? this is new in which way? robbie"whoops" gordon, tony stewart, aj" i can't drive on sunday" almendinger,
    the current penske racing team...
6. the demise of the 'grand national' series will be when after at&t successfully sues NA$CASH and no business is willing to pony up $160
    million to be the "official" anything of said NA$CASH.

next

ken
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 12:21:08 AM »

4. who is to say, just because i am at the same track as a cup/irl that i would attend both? i am there to watch the race i want to see

Unfortunately at many NA$CAR tracks, you now have to buy "weekend" tickets to get the Cup tickets.   Angry

I've heard so often about folks at TX having the IRL tickets and never using them because they only wanted to see the truck race.  Talk about a racket.

Cheryl
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 01:33:58 AM »

Bridgestone tires and Goodyear tires do not mix. The complaining about this has been heard at IRL/Craftsman Truck companion events.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 01:39:58 AM »

Brian, that is because of the different rubber build up, right?
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 02:34:52 AM »

I'm sure that's it.  I believe it was Texas several years ago the IRL teams were having trouble because the trucks were also at the track. I know I have heard about  problems with different rubber on the track at ARCA/Cup events with Hoosier and Goodyear, but not as much trouble the IRL was having with Goodyear buildup.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: