November 22, 2017, 10:10:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Island Music  (Read 2285 times)
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« on: March 31, 2007, 01:12:55 AM »

It's Friday night, there's no race on TV, and I'm sitting here watching a concert on Tivo. The group reminded me of how much I liked one of their albums. Beside, how many times can you discuss Michael Waltrip not making the race so I had a thought for a contest here on Speedcouch - except there is no prize or winner.

You just fell out of the sky onto a deserted island. You have a cd player and an endless supply of batteries to power it. You need some music because the odds are that you are going to be here for a very, very long time. Your job is to pick your music. Naturally it would be something that you can listen to over and over again without getting tired of it. It spans decades and never sounds bad to you. You probably even know the exact sequence of songs on the cd or album and can recite all the lyrics, but please - don't try to sing them. There are a few rules however.

1.) You can pick 10 and only 10 cd's - not 11 or 12 or some other number besides 10. Some of you like to push the issue and can't resist that stuffing that extra one in there - right Vivian?  So just 10.

2.)  Including "anything by <insert band or artist name here>" is NOT a proper choice. You have to narrow it down to a particular cd or album by name.

3.) Picking a 'greatest hits' album is cheating and strongly discouraged. Others will boo you if you list a greatest hits on your list.

4.) If you want add a little background info on your choices, that's cool, but no points will be deducted from your score for not doing so.

5.) There is no score.

That's it. Give it some thought, scour your record collection and post your 'Top 10 Island Cd's" here! Remember, you may just have to live with them forever so think hard! I'll be back later with mine....

Lou

« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 01:24:02 AM by Lou » Logged

drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 01:53:05 AM »

Does a multi disc box set count?

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 02:12:41 AM »

Many of my favorite records are live discs so that will be my way around the no greatest hits rule Tongue

super61
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 03:24:25 AM »

10. Mark Wills-Permanently (2000) just soothes the nerves
9. Jackson Browne- Running on Empty (1977)
8. Toby Keith- Boomtown (1995) bluemoon is my fav karaoke song
7. Electric Light Orchestra- Out of the Blue (1977) i've gone thru about 20 copies from lp to cd
6. Garth Brooks-Garth Brooks (1989) the dance came out right after my brother passed away, i still cry everytime i hear it
5. Anita Baker- Rapture (1986) how can you not make out with anita in the background?
4. Vince Gill-When Love Finds You (1994) i handcarved the lyrics to go rest high along the path to the family cemetery that summer
3. Alison Krauss and Union Station- New Favorite (2001) the voice of an angel, need i say more
2. Ty Herndon-Living in a Moment (1996) one of the most underrated voices in country music
1. Patty Loveless- Lonely Too Long (1996) patty grew up with my cousins in pikeville,ky and got to meet here at country music festival
           here in cleveland the summer of 96 and then saw her again that fall at the grand ole opry. i was 3 rows back and when she saw
           me, she said hello personally and had her manager take us backstage to say hello after the show. i still remember the outfit she
           wore, a peach pantsuit with white blouse. does that make me a stalker?

Ken

sally
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 03:49:17 AM »

1) Live Bullet - Bob Seger

2) Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

3) The Four Seasons - Vivaldi

4) The Big Chill - Soundtrack

5) Aretha Franklin Live

6) If You Could Read my Mind - Gordon Lightfoot

7)Sounds of Silence - Simon and Garfunkle

Cool The Temptations

9) Blaze of Glory - Bon Jovi

10) TV Classice - Canadian Brass

I think that could keep me happy for a while.

Sally
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 11:28:48 PM »

The Police - Message In A Box the Complete Recordings
 The Cars - The Cars
 The Who - The Blues To The Bush
 The Who - Live At The Isle Of Wight
 Pete Townshend - Empty Glass
 Walt Mink - Goodnite
 Aerosmith - Live! Bootleg
 Frank Zappa - Apostrophe'
 J. Geils Band - Blow Your Face Out
 Stevie Ray Vaughn - Live Alive

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 01:53:35 PM »

Okay, after and extensive search through both my album and CD collection, I determined I absolutely could not pick just 10 from rock and country, so I have my top ten from each group (sorry Lou).  It's just I listened to rock for the first 20-some years of my life and then started listening to country in about 1976.  Then since 1990, I've listened to almost all country, so it was hard to choose. 

Rock Albums

1.  You Donít Mess Around with Jim -Jim Croce
2.  Hotel California   - The Eagles
3.  Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
4.  Thorogood Live   - George Thorogood
5.  Yesterday and Today - The Beatles
6.  Honky Chateau    - Elton John
7.  Boston - Boston
8.  Led Zeppelin 4 - Runes - Led Zeppelin
9.  Still Got the Blues - Gary Moore
10. The Dirty Boogie - The Brian Setzer Orchestra

Country Albums

1.  Stardust - Willie Nelson
2.  Thinkin Problem    -David Ball
3.  Big House - Big House
4.  Ropin the Wind   - Garth Brooks (His first album was great too, Ken, but I couldn't live without Shameless on this one.
5.  My Town - Montgomery Gentry
6.  My Honky Tonk History - Travis Tritt
7.  Lovin Proof - Ricky Van Shelton
8.  If There Was a Way - Dwight Yoakum
9.  This Time - Dwight Yoakum
10. Horse of a Different Color -Big & Rich

Cheryl
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 12:39:11 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 04:47:39 PM »

• 1. Boston - Boston -> Back in high school, this was it and it still sounds good 30 years later. My long standing joke is calling Boston "The World's greatest Band"
  • 2. America - History -> Everyone needs a mellow album for their collection and this one is timeless
  • 3. Hootie and the Blowfish - cracked rear view -> Come on, you know you like it too
  • 4. Gary Moore - Still Got The Blues -> Probably my favorite type of music might be the blues and some great guitar work. I can crank this one up to ear-bleeding level and even a curmudgeon like myself doesn't yell to "turn that music down".
  • 5. Glen Miller - In a Digital Mood -> Yep. big band sounds gone digital and sounding sweet. Heck, I might even dance to it if I knew how... Just joking.
  • 6. Eagles - Desperado -> Again, we are a product of our youth and influences in the key time of our lives. The Eagles will never grow old. If you javen't listened to this one a hundred times, you are just a rookie.
  • 7. Fleetwood Mac - Rumors -> Ahhh, bringing back memories of my Navy days. I call this one "drivin' music". Maybe there will be a car on the desert island and I can slap this into the 8-track player and turn laps around the sand.
  • 8. Eagles - Hotel California -> Guarantee that you know all the songs on this one.
  • 9. Big & Rich - Horse of a Different Color -> Wow, something not from the 70's on my list. When they first came out I despised them and their image. That was before I listened to the music.
  • 10. AC/DC - Back in Black -> There's a reason it's one of the top 3 best selling albums of all time.

One thing I realized when putting my list together was that there are far more than 10 that I want to have with me. Maybe we should all put our ten into the cd player today, hit the 'shuffle' button, and watch the race with this in our ears instead of the 'Tower of Babble' (tm Sally) from Fox.

I hope you had fun thinking of your favorite and pulled a few out to play!

Lou

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 03:00:38 PM »

OKAY, here goes:
   1--THE CHOPIN I LOVE;  Artur Rubenstein on a Steinway, of course;

2--Schumann,  By A. Rubenstein also;

3- A BLACK AND WHITE EVENING---Roy Orbison;

4--THE BEST OF CHUCK BERRY--(sorry Lou),

5--The Best of the Kingston Trio;

6--THE VERY BEST OF THE KINGSTON TRIO;

7-   The Kingston Trio Live from the Hungry I;

8--An Evening with the Kingston Trio

9--College Concert----The Kingston Trio

10--The Weavers at Carneigie Hall--(The Weavers Reunion);

And, yes, I have all of the above on CD plus 7 more Trio albums!! Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 05:20:42 PM »

I don't own that many CDs, so I have only three:
  • Michael Jackson's Thriller album
  • The Beatles White Album.  Don't own it, but would love to get a copy of it before I leave.
  • Garth Brooks' first album.  Don't know the title, unfortunately.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 08:56:01 PM »

Lou wrote:

1.) You can pick 10 and only 10 cd's - not 11 or 12 or some other number besides 10. Some of you like to push the issue and can't resist that stuffing that extra one in there - right Vivian?  So just 10.

Lou, I can if I want too!!! Evil

I will compile a proper list tonight and post it tomorrow.  And adhere to all the rules. Wink
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 09:46:43 PM »

Sticking to the rules is not any fun, Vivian. Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 12:20:06 AM »

Sticking to the rules is not any fun, Vivian. Grin

Like anyone ever listens to me anyway....

And you can pick any album Desmond, you don't have to have it in CD form. 8-tracks, cassettes, vinyl, CD's - it's all music!

Some of the ones you all have mentioned made me go - oh, yeah, I forgot about that one! I'd have to sneak a few more than 10 in my carry-on luggage before the plane crash deposited me on Gilligan's Island...

Lou

Vivian
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 01:37:27 AM »

Lou, are soundtracks allowed?  They are different from greatest hits, you know.....
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 12:44:17 PM »

Lou, are soundtracks allowed?  They are different from greatest hits, you know.....

See, there ya go. Taking all the fun out of it by wanting to include "The Sounds of Music" and "Grease".....

This is just a stall tactic by you right Vivian? Since you can't narrow it down to 10...

Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 12:47:27 PM by Lou » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: