November 21, 2017, 06:26:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What FOX Needs to Do in 2005  (Read 2532 times)
jw
Wiley Veteran

« on: July 06, 2004, 11:48:54 PM »

With FOX done until Daytona Speedweeks next February, here's some
thoughts & ideas:

1. More "Crank It Up"-This feature was used very sparingly during the
season.  In some races, FOX used this only once.
 2. A "flagman" camera-The finishes at Nashville(1st Busch Race) &
Aarons 499 pointed the need for this idea.  NBC/TNT surely will have either a fixed camera and/or a cameraman on the flag stand during their
part of the schedule.
 3. "Splitscreens"-good idea to cover multiple battles on the track, but
not for showing in-car cameras & pit road stops, especially if the pit stops
are not going to be timed.
 4. Starting Grid-The scroll was a horrific idea.  This needs to be shown
the conventional way.  Fullscreen with car numbers, car makes
 5. The announcers need to call the race, not making suggestions to
NASCAR on what to do.  
 6. Less commericals & the need to break out of a commerical break when
a major incident takes place during the race.  FOX does not need to run
a commerical break within the last 25 to 30 laps of a race.
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 08:51:46 PM »

I totally agree on all points with what they should do.  Maybe, just maybe, they will learn something in their off season.  Especially if the tv ratings go up the rest of the year and I will be surprised if they don't.  But then, I am always surprised with things these days.
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 12:26:24 AM »

Get rid of DW.  He is so obviously a Junior fan.  Not that I mind but when you are calling a race you should do so objectively.  It just irked me this year.  MJ and LM are ok in fact I think Larry has some really good things to say.  I am looking forward to NBC.  I really like Alan Bestwick and they will always cut from a commercial when there is a wreck.

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 12:39:34 PM »

Quote from: "BAM24/25"
Get rid of DW.  He is so obviously a Junior fan.  

You know I bet DW would stop his cheerleading for Junior in a hurry if Michael got dumped from the DEI fold.   :wink:

Cheryl
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 11:46:45 PM »

THAT will be interesting to see.

sally
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2004, 12:03:12 AM »

The best thing about the crank it up is that is was, reliable, the only time we could count on the Tower of Babble shutting up for more than 3 seconds.
Sally
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2004, 03:39:05 AM »

Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy   LOL Sally.  That is for sure.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2004, 12:53:14 PM »

Not sure which topic this fits under as it covers stuff both about racing in general and TV, but I figured I'd stick it here.

Last night, Lou and I caught the PRN show, The Pit Reporters, on XM.  I found it to be a great show, which included Mark Ashenfelter, Editor for Winston Cup Scene, Sean Pragano from Totally NASCAR, and Brett McMillan from PRN radio.  The three of them were pretty frank as they discussed a lot of topics.  I only wish I could've taped it for Sally.  She would have absolutely loved it, I think.

They three reporters were all in agreement that Tony Stewart didn't get suspended because NASCAR was basically afraid to make Home Depot or Joe Gibbs mad.  Also that his participation in the C2 promotion at Daytona was probably another reason why NASCAR took such lenient action.  Their conclusion as that Tony could probably get away with anything because NASCAR was too afraid of angering Gibbs.  They all seemed to agree anyone accosting a driver still strapped in his car should be sat out for a race.  They pointed out his "probation" was set to end before the Bristol night race so if he acts up there, they won't have to take any severe action then either.  They also had a listener poll from last week where the fans voted 67% that he should have sat out Daytona.

I'm not sure who the host was (possibly McMillan), but the host said this was a good time to discuss the different TV networks as we switched from Fox to NBC.  Obviously my ears picked up at this point!  He asked the reporters to tell us what new things they thought each brought to their broadcasts this year.  Pragano started and admitted he worked for Fox.  Can't remember his exact comments, but Ashenfelter went off on a few things that bother some of us fans.  They all agreed that the Fox approach had more to do with providing entertainment, whereas NBC dug deeper and tried to do more in depth coverage of the stories and the race.  Ashenfelter, particularly seemed to dislike the Fox approach, saying the guys in the booth spent most of their time "yucking it up."  I loved that description!  They also pointed out how Bill Weber's pre-race show was so much more focused on racing issues, whereas Fox was nothing but slapstick (or something along those lines).  Ashenfelter said that was a mixed blessing from him since the Scene covered a lot of the same type of stories and they had a sort of monopoly on the "hard" news during the Fox portion of the season, but NBC covered the same things they did during their part of the season.  Ashenfelter also said there was one thing he definitely wasn't going to miss when Fox left and that was BBB, but his children would.  To me, that confirms my contention that most of the people who like BBB are under the age of 10.   :lol:   Everyone agreed Jeff Hammond was a great asset to the Fox crew and his illustrations with the Cutaway Car were excellent.  They felt that was one weakness with NBC; that they didn't have someone in the pits during the race doing something like that.  They talked about that NBC has made a committment to show more racing in the back of the pack, which I applauded heartily!  See?  At least someone out there is listening to the fans!  I think this is the new feature Desmond mentioned yesterday.  I can't wait!  

Anyway, if anyone has a PRN station where they live (or Dick since I know you have XM), this show seems well worth checking out next week.  It came on at 7 p.m. eastern time.  I really enjoyed a variety of perspectives from a print journalist, TV guy, and a radio guy.  

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2004, 02:01:26 PM »

Great.  You really want to make me go spend the $$ to get XM, don't you?  I think ypu're going to have to figure out a way to bootleg that show to me, since they seem willing to "tell it like it is".

I have to say that I'm rather amused that, as the season has dragged on, the complaints fans had since the beginning of the year that were poo-poohed by the "legitimate" media are now being echoed by those very same people!  Since JJ had the guts to speak up about the Crapshoot format, I noticed a few more media are starting to speak up.  Good for Jimmy!  It's nice to see one of the "Hot Young Drivers" isn't afraid to say what he thinks.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2004, 03:16:22 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
Great.  You really want to make me go spend the $$ to get XM, don't you?  I think ypu're going to have to figure out a way to bootleg that show to me, since they seem willing to "tell it like it is".

I have to say that I'm rather amused that, as the season has dragged on, the complaints fans had since the beginning of the year that were poo-poohed by the "legitimate" media are now being echoed by those very same people!  Since JJ had the guts to speak up about the Crapshoot format, I noticed a few more media are starting to speak up.  Good for Jimmy!  It's nice to see one of the "Hot Young Drivers" isn't afraid to say what he thinks.

Hot in more ways than one!   :wink:  
But, seriously... I read in the Journal Now today that Matt Kenseth says it's a bad system.  Of course, I'm pretty sure he's one who was against it from the beginning.  I don't blame him a bit because everyone blames him for the creation of it, which is certainly not right.  I mentioned to Lou last night I'd like to track the difference in the points if we continued under the "old" Latford system for the last 10 races.  He pointed out MANY people will probably do that as well.  I'm sure Jayski will be one of the first.  All I can say is I hope whoever wins the championship would've won it either way.  That might show NASCAR the error of their ways.  Of course it won't, but it would be nice if it proves their artificial restructuring of the top 10 would make no difference to the final outcome.

Cheryl
kgregg
Veteran

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2004, 06:54:15 PM »

>Get rid of DW. He is so obviously a Junior fan. Not that I
>mind but when you are calling a race you should do so objectively.

DW is a color commentator.  He does not call the race.  I am not a huge DW fan but I say "keep him"!

As for objectivity......who cares?  Two (Sam Huff & Sonny Jurgenson) of the three guys who announce Redskins games on radio are former players!  Surely, they are objective.  ;-)  The color guy is there to provide a little entertainment... let them be.  Kevin
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2004, 07:12:50 PM »

Quote from: "kgregg"

As for objectivity......who cares?  Two (Sam Huff & Sonny Jurgenson) of the three guys who announce Redskins games on radio are former players!  Surely, they are objective.  ;-)  The color guy is there to provide a little entertainment... let them be.  Kevin

Isn't the race suppose to be the entertainment, not the announcers?  

Cheryl
kgregg
Veteran

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2004, 07:19:08 PM »

Quote from: "Cheryl"

Cheryl

I dont mind some entertainment from the announcers booth.

More on "objectivity"... think back a few years when Dale Jarrett won the Daytona 500.  Who was in the booth as color commentator?  Some guy named Ned got all worked up when Dale won the race (Ned and Dale are related, right? )  :wink:   That was one of the best D500 finishes I've seen.. hard to top the incredible emotion (and lack of "objectivity") on display for everyone to see.    Kevin
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2004, 07:30:06 PM »

Quote from: "kgregg"
Quote from: "Cheryl"

I dont mind some entertainment from the announcers booth.

More on "objectivity"... think back a few years when Dale Jarrett won the Daytona 500.  Who was in the booth as color commentator?  Some guy named Ned got all worked up when Dale won the race (Ned and Dale are related, right? )  :wink:   That was one of the best D500 finishes I've seen.. hard to top the incredible emotion (and lack of "objectivity") on display for everyone to see.    Kevin

I don't need the commentators yucking it up to keep me watching.  I tune in to watch the race, not the Darrell, and my other brother Darrell Comedy Show.   :wink:

Other than that one time, Ned Jarrett, was the consummate professional in the booth, and was always informative and objective.  He never even referred to Dale as his son while commentating, which I thought was so classy.  Yes, the Daytona 500 call was a classic TV moment, but the TV producer told him to "go for it" when calling the end of the race.  That's been well publicized over the years.  But when Dale got his first win at Michigan in 1991, I don't think we saw that kind of display by Ned.  Obviously the producer that day, didn't prompt him.  

Plus it's one thing when your son/brother is going for the win.  My complaint about DW's nepotism is that we have to hear about Michael when he's running 25th.  Yet, Ken Schrader and Dave Blaney don't get the same coverage.

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2004, 10:09:08 PM »

The ultimate proof that the announcers on Fox think they're more important than the racing...the fact that they have their own souvenir trailoe at the tack.  BOOOOO1  I need entertainment from the booth the way I needed the acrobats at the banquet 2 years ago.  Wrong place, wrong time.  If you need to do comedy bits, get your own show and don't interrupt a perfectly good race to impose you lack of wits on me.
Sally :x
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: