November 18, 2017, 04:52:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too Much Time on My Hands.....  (Read 2745 times)
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« on: July 05, 2004, 08:07:13 PM »

No, not the Styx song....

With nothing much better to do today, we were sitting out on the deck enjoying the sunshine, listening to the radio. Along comes George Strait and Alan Jackson singing "Murder on Music Row". As the song played, the words and sentiments seemd to fit so well with the way we feel about NASCAR these days.

Bing! :idea:  :idea:

Out pops the laptop, a google search for the lyrics, and a quickly re-written version makes its way to the Internet....

http://www.speedcouch.com/justmyopinion/2004/MurderOnPitRow.html

I think I need help. Anybody know a good shrink? Or bartender?

Here's a place to get a mini-preview of what it is really supposed to sound like - http://ubl.artistdirect.com/store/artist/album/0,,970615,00.html

:twisted:

Lou "it's a good thing I have a real job" Lauer

Vivian
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 08:38:11 PM »

Lou, that is great!

How about collaborating with me on one called "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes?" after the great George Jones song?  I always substitute other words and names but can't seem to get the whole thing together.   :?
Lou
Living Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 08:47:33 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
How about collaborating with me on one called "Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes?" after the great George Jones song?  I always substitute other words and names but can't seem to get the whole thing together.   :?

I'll get right on it. I have to contact my lawyer first and ask about getting sued...

We'll call it "Who's Gonna Fill Their Seats" - question - what is your sentiment behind changing the words? It can go many different ways :-)

Lou "I've found my true calling" Lauer

Vivian
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 08:55:21 PM »

"Who's gonna drive that hard?"
Lou
Living Legend

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 09:00:49 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
"Who's gonna drive that hard?"

So it's not going to be all about dead people then? That makes it easier...

Vivian
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 09:12:56 PM »

We could be on a roll here.

Present, past and dead.

'Ah, I remember all my old speedway heros;  Fireball, Marty, Cale and Fred; they're all right here with us"...

Maybe first we ought to get the words to the song and go from there?  Can you find it on your music thing?   :?
Lou
Living Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 09:17:35 PM »

Vivian,

I sent you a PM with a URl in it with the early stages of the new song :-)

sally
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 10:30:49 PM »

OUTSTANDING!!!!
And right on.

Sally
Lou
Living Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 02:06:51 AM »

Here's the second cut off my greatest hits album...

http://www.speedcouch.com/justmyopinion/2004/WhosGonnaFillTheirSeats.html

I fear for my career....

Lou "Somebody stop me before I kill myself" Lauer

sally
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 02:57:00 AM »

Lou, you seem to have a talent for this.  When ya gonna go to Nashville and cut your demo?
Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2004, 04:30:16 PM »

Lou, thanks for the songs.

I'm not a country music listener so I could not "sing along" with the lyrics.  But I understand the historic connection between country music and NASCAR racing, and it's sad but appropriate that NASCAR is trying to run away from it.  Already, I've noted that the NBC/TNT theme song is by Metallica, and we're all waiting for the arrival of the first "hip-hop driver."  I'm sure Magic Johnson of the Diversity Steering Committee wouldn't mind that, but would the fans?

Someone must save the spirit of NASCAR, both the racing and the music, before it's too late.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2004, 03:42:05 AM »

Lou, while I admire your song writing abilities, I have to agree you must have had too much time on your hands. :lol:

I'm reminded of an awards show and whether it was Travis Tritt or Alan Jackson who brought up old George's song and said, "I may not be able to fill their shoes, but sure would love to try them on!"

While the drivers of today may not have have the same history and prestige of the drivers in the past, I'm impressed with certain drivers and their abilities such as Dale, Jr.'s maturity (especially after the busch race Friday night), Kasey Kahne's ability to jump into Awesome Bill's car and come up with 4 2nd place finishes in the first half of his rookie year.  Jamie McMurray has the potential to become one of the sports biggest ambassadors with the way he can speak positively and critically when being interviewed.  He definitely could become one of the sports most respected drivers.

Of course there are other drivers who will follow in the foot steps of DW, Rusty and Jeff Gordon, as some of the most disliked drivers that people love to boo.  Then 10 years down the road, people will be chearing them like they were always fans.

So who is going to fill their seats, I bet there are lots of guys and girls who would just like to slide through the window, and most never will.

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2004, 01:08:43 AM »

Absolutely wonderful Lou!!

I am sorry that I must disagree with you, though.  There is NEVER such a thing as too much time on one's hands...  Perhaps you've found your true calling.  I've got a friend with connections in Nashville if you decide to go through with this...I'd love to be a sleazy manager.  Hee hee
Lou
Living Legend

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2004, 12:31:30 PM »

Quote from: "marrtinigirl"
I'd love to be a sleazy manager.  Hee hee
I'd love to be a spoiled, obnoxious, rich, famous person so it sounds like we have a deal...

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2004, 12:58:46 PM »

Quote from: "Lou"
Quote from: "marrtinigirl"
I'd love to be a sleazy manager.  Hee hee
I'd love to be a spoiled, obnoxious, rich, famous person so it sounds like we have a deal...

Just remember Maryland is a community-property state.   Cheesy   Whatever you make, you have to share with me!!!  (Just hearing the lastest crap about whatshername, oh yeah, Brittany, this morning on the radio and her lastest doomed marriage made me think of that.   :wink:

Cheryl
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: