November 20, 2017, 04:46:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mikey Misses Vegas  (Read 1575 times)
super61
« on: March 10, 2007, 01:27:32 AM »

poster boy goes home again... did anyone else hear all the cheers from the crowd when he spun out?Huh? priceless

ken
shawn
Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 03:05:12 AM »

It was a bad weekend in general for Toyota teams.  Only Blaney and Jarrett with a passed champs provisional made the race. 

sally
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 05:10:22 AM »

Yes, I heard the cheers.  Guess we're not the only ones who are tired of Mikey?  Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.  Hooray for Ward Burton and Kenny Wallace.  AL Allmendinger must be getting frustrated.  I see Vickers missed, too.

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 02:40:19 PM »

We caught that part of quals on PRN.  Radio pit reporter said he'd never seen MW shy away from a microphone in his life, but that he literally sprinted away from them back to his motorcoach.  oh, what a shame.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 05:02:19 PM »

Methinks me is enjoying this just a bit too much!
 NAAAWWHH! laugh

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 05:10:01 PM »

Should Michael Waltrip the race car driver be treated different than Michael Waltrip the broadcaster on this board. If I made a post gloating that Paul Menard failed to make a race would it be allowed to stay?

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
super61
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 06:11:56 PM »

my post was not about mikey per say, just that the entire future of toyota rests in his hands as the lead team, and they only cars getting in the field are DJ's...thank god for past champions provisionals...that's the great thing about this board, we can all voice our opinions, banter back and for a while, and move on to the next pressing issue...will DW actually break out in tears when mikey misses the next race?

ken
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 08:22:53 PM »

But this post seems to revolve around Mikey only. Why no comments on the failures of the original Toyota team of Bill Davis. Has anyone seen Jeremey Mayfield lately? I seem to remember several reprimands from the "Mean Mommy" about knocking  drivers. I believe that Mikey behind the microphone is fair game on this board but to single out Waltrip for his on track failures and to have posters take glee in it is not what this board is supposed to be about. If this is the case I want my comment I made last year,that was removed, calling Terry Labonte a tool for driving the #96 car put back on.

super61
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 08:47:16 PM »

done. no more mikey bashing except on chat nights, then the gloves are off

ken
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 08:53:55 PM »

Don't say done because of my posts, I 'm not a moderator.  Wink. Believe or not I do feel sorry for Mikey, cheating scandal and all, and just don't think knocking Mikey the racer is called for. I'm for bashing Toyota though, even though I have no problem with them in NASCAR.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 09:00:11 PM by drpep (brian) » Logged

super61
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 01:06:14 AM »

OK, here goes. i will bash Mikey the driver, Mikey the broadcaster,  and Mikey the team owner. he put himself on this pedestal with all of his self promoting of his own team, he has failed to live up to the self hype that follows him. bill davis didn't get all of the coverage the Mikey got, red bull racing didn't get all of the coverage Mikey got. why, because those teams were realistic that getting into cup with toyota was not going to be easy and making the field would be an accomplishment, not a given each week... Mikey was out to put the nascar world on fire.. he is now and never will be more than a top 30 driver period...
now Mikey the broadcaster... he is horrible in the booth, annoying as all hell, is only there because of DW. end of story...
Mikey the team owner... has no integrity based on the situation from daytona... the internal investigation of the "fuel additive" has turned up nothing. as an owner you hold someone responsible for something that large.. the crew member in charge of fuel during the race weekend should have been terminated immediately. based simply on the evidence that he is the one who obtained the fuel from the sunoco pumps and is basically in charge of it throughout the race...you were the last one to touch it, therefore, you are the guilty party...I do not work for or endorse and na$car team, but having racing connections with a truck team, there are individuals who are held accountable for failures and successes. 

that being said, Cheryl has started and maintained this great place for us race fans to meet and make new friends, voice our opinions of the na$car world. opinions being the key word here. each of has one. each of us has the right to disagree with the other. Cheryl has the right to tell us to get over it. this is her sandbox. the rules state that we should not call out any driver with bad talk about them individually. i think she understood where the original post was coming from with our previous posts and chat conversations about toyota and michael waltrip racing, therefore the post was not pulled...it was more about the crowd reaction to his not making the field, (the product pimp goes home again.)... i am sure an email from her about this post will follow soon and i will take my lumps

ken
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 07:01:58 PM »

Brian, you have a point, but we just cannot resist because Mikey, of his pwn doing, has made it very to separate Mikey the driver from Mikey the car owner, from Mikey the salesman from Mikey the broadcaster. He has just been over the top in his unsolicited plugging of Toyota, and, frankly, I think Toyota made a big mistake in hiring him.
 Jmho,
 Dick

William James
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 01:48:03 AM »

I agree with your points OHR. I just feel bad for Michael Waltrip the business owner because of a situation I'm kinda of in now. My long time employer went out of business,  was lucky to get shifted to another location, hated the town and hated to leave my hometown so I quit and hired on as an employee with the owner who located in my old job site. He opened the store, his second after years of a greatly succesful single store operation, to meet what was supposedly a great customer demand. Now things are not going as planned and we are working to find out what needs improving. I've seen the time, money and sweat invested in the new operation and can somewhat compare the expectations Mikey must have had for his operation and the subsequent mess that followed with the  start up troubles we are having.
 As for broadcaster Mikey, race car driver Mikey when in front of the camera and Toyota's teaming up with him  I have my opinions and they are mostly negative
 Sob story over. Cry Wink

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 01:53:08 PM »

Okay, everyone, I'm sorry I haven't been around to deal with this issue.  I don't believe I told everyone on the forum that Lou and I would be in Lakeland, Florida over the weekend for the USAR race.

Yes, I did participate in the thread Saturday morning, but haven't been on the internet from then until now.

Brian, I apologize if I contributed to the bashing of Michael as an owner/driver.

Up until now, everyone here appeared to agree about Michael, so I got a bit lax over comments about him under TV talk which then spilled over to things about him in race talk as well.  Particularly because he has been surrounded by a lot of controversy.

And in doing that, I can see this I've allowed the very thing I hoped to avoid here to happen.  Yes, Ken is correct we all have opinions and as I say in the forum rules, they aren't always going to be the same.  Yet, in allowing a lot of leeway in comments about Michael, it has caused hard feelings between members.  Something which I never ever want to happen!

In this instance, I do believe for most of us (well me particularly) the glee over Michael not making the race is primarily because of the Toyota connection.  But Dick is correct that there is also the component about Michael's outspoken attitude on TV shows over the last few years.  So a lot of us do probably feel it's sort of a "karma" thing or something I guess.  That still does not excuse any comments that Brian took exception to because of his personal situation.  As I said when I modified the rules a year or so ago, none of us can possibly know everyone else's personal situation and how comments can be interpreted differently because of our backgrounds or frame of reference.  This was mostly because of sensitive issues being brought up in the Chit Chat area, but it applies across all the forum topics as well.   

Also, I do apologize for not keeping a closer watch on things this past weekend.  It's just hard to do so sometimes when we are actually at a race and spending most of our time in the garage area and not the media center (where internet access is patchy at best). 

Lastly, I think many of us feel the same way about Jeremy Mayfield not making any races.  I believe there was a lot of discussion about that in one chat recently.  I think the only difference there is that though Jeremy has had a lot of issues with car owners in the past, he doesn't make himself quite so much of a focal point by drawing attention to himself as often as MW does.   

Anyway, I'll personally make a commitment to try and temper my comments about MW in the furture so as not to encourage others to bash him. 

Peace?

Cheryl
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 03:10:47 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 03:00:23 PM »

Peace, and I fell bad for bashing. Brian, I sincerely hope that your situation works out OK.
 Dick

William James
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: