November 23, 2017, 04:36:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He's on a roll....  (Read 2915 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2004, 04:09:36 PM »

OK.  I'll pull a Larry Mac and say I was wrong about the history of the 25 team.  Then again, it didn't help that Rick Hendrick expanded to a third team in the early 1990s and that Jeff Gordon was the driver he picked.

The rest is history, of course.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2004, 02:42:15 AM »

FOUR poles in a row!!!  Woohooo!  He's on a roll! :lol:   j/k  I could not resist.  Now I will have to keep my fingers and toes crossed that it turns into a win.

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2004, 04:37:10 AM »

I totally agree with the whole roll thing NOW.  He is on a roll, and now that he does seem to have the momentum, NBC sort of downplayed it.  Tongue in cheek, of course, when they said he was kind of on a hot streak.  That was funny.  He wins one race, FOX is all talking about his roll.  Today he has four poles in a row and two races in a row, and NBC just casually mentions it.  It's funny.  But it is why I like NBC so much more than FOX.  They acknowledged it, but didn't act like it was the end of the season just because someone had won back to back.

I'm so glad that we are back in NBC country, or else next week we would be hearing about Tony's "Roll".    I can already hear Larry Mac or Jeff Hammond (not DW, though, he wouldn't say anything about Tony) going on and on about how we've seen all of this aggressiveness from Tony because he was "Craving the first win of the season."  But "now that he's found his groove, look for more wins from him.  Perhaps now that he's cooled his temper and settled down in victory circle, he will focus all of his energy on getting to the front.  Look for more wins from this young man, he is definitley a winner."

Yeah, he won one race, big deal.

And just FYI, I am a HUGE Tony fan.

Staci
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2004, 03:39:21 PM »

LOL - you have the FOX guys down pat!  I too prefer the NBC gang.  Much more professional and they keep things in perspective.  And with a 4th place finish yesterday, I guess Gordon's roll is officially over, but given his struggles yesterday, I am thrilled with a 4th place finish.

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

Vivian
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2004, 05:18:38 PM »

Jeff must be on a roll.  The pole, the trouble during the race and then comes back to finish 4th.  What a day for him!  He wants the championship and is working hard to get it.

BTW, Staci - the Stewart Kahne thread - can you give your view on that one, please?  Thanks...
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2004, 03:31:47 AM »

I'm sorry Vivian, but I can't.  I was at work while the race was on and had to get up and do something and missed it.  That's why I have been silent on the whole deal.  Sure, I have seen it on replay, but, well, of course with the replays come all of the announcers opinions and then of course the stuff in the pits....  

I'd like to say that it was just a racing deal, because Tony has been involved in so much already this year.

But then, well, he is a Winston Cup Champion, (I refuse to say Nextel) and he's supposed to be one of the best in the sport and it seems to me that perhaps he should have been able to back off and not just run him over.  Especially with the fact that he is on probation, kind of seems like he should be extra careful

It does, however, make me wonder how Kevin Harvick feels after he was penalized for what happened with Kenseth based largely on his "history."  Tony has a history, too, where does that factor?

And it REALLY irritated me when Zippy said that this was just "another case of pick on Tony."  Yeah, ok, Tony brings most of this on himself.  If he doesn't want the heat and the reputation, perhaps he should change it.

But other than that, I can't really make a call on it, didn't see it.  Sorry.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2004, 03:38:30 AM »

Quote from: "marrtinigirl"

But then, well, he is a Winston Cup Champion, (I refuse to say Nextel) and he's supposed to be one of the best in the sport and it seems to me that perhaps he should have been able to back off and not just run him over.  Especially with the fact that he is on probation, kind of seems like he should be extra careful

You may not have seen the incident live, but I think you made the best point I've read anywhere on the internet about the whole thing this week - that because he's on "super-secret probation," he ought to have been more careful!  Excellent way of putting it, Staci!  I think that is probably the reason it outraged me so much.  If it had happened to ANYONE else who was not on probation, I might not have liked to see so many people collected in the wreck but it wouldn't have bothered me quite so much.  AND I wouldn't have expected NASCAR to penalize the driver on the spot.  But as Larry Mac said, "probataion means absolutely nothing..."   Sad   That point has been made quite clear by the sanctioning body.  

Cheryl
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2004, 03:50:54 AM »

But other than that, I can't really make a call on it, didn't see it.  Sorry.
If that was your idea of having nithing to say, I can hardly wait for the time when you actually do see a controversial incident as it happens. :lol:

Lou

marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2004, 03:41:54 PM »

Lou, if you haven't picked up on the fact that I ramble on and on yet, then I don't think you really read my posts!! :cry:   I guess I had more to say than I thought.
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2004, 08:07:45 PM »

Lou, if you haven't picked up on the fact that I ramble on and on yet, then I don't think you really read my posts!! :cry:   I guess I had more to say than I thought.
I was just teasing you. Tongue

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: