November 19, 2017, 11:13:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He's on a roll....  (Read 2900 times)
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« on: July 04, 2004, 05:37:51 PM »

Back to back wins for Jeff Gordon!!  He's on a roll!!  Watch out folks, he's on a hot streak, making a comeback, sure to win the championship!!

Gimme a break.  Yes, he did win back to back, wonderful.  I'm not taking that away from him.  

I guess my disgust comes in from the pre-race show talking about his "roll".  So he won one race, big deal.  He blew up the week before.  I have to echo Sally's sentiments that everytime someone wins a race who is in the top ten, they automatically start talking about them being on a roll.  That really doesn't apply, does it?  Matt Kenseth only one once last year.  Wins, unfortunately, don't mean everything.

Besides, the only reason Gordon won at Daytona is because NASCAR didn't throw the yellow and manipulate the field so Jr. could beat him. (Of course you know I am kidding)

Where were all those Jr fans throwing trash that everyone seems to think happens when Gordon beats Jr?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 08:00:29 PM »

What made me mad at the end of the broadcast was DW's typical flip-flopping.  Now that Gordon won, he all of the sudden starts saying how he was the pre-season favorite for the championship. If Earnhardt had won, he would've said he had the championship in the bag.  

I am SO glad I don't have to hear DW again this year!  I won't be tuning into Trackside just in case he is on there (not that I watch it much now; only if I happen to catch it on and there's an interesting guest).  

As to the fans "not" throwing debris, how do we really know what they did since Fox went to a long block of commericals after Gordon took the checkers and when they came back, he was in Victory Lane.   :wink:   But seriously, when the fans threw the Pepsi cushions two years ago there, Fox made sure not to mention it.  I only heard about it on the Internet the next day.  I honestly don't know what to believe where those guys are concerned.    

Cheryl
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 12:30:22 AM »

I think they said he was on a roll because he has won THREE poles and two races, and actually when he blew up at Michigan he led the race for almost the whole time.  I think he is on a roll.  Now whether he wins the championship or not - as a Gordon fan - I hope so, but objectively who knows.  It will be whoever is on a roll the last ten races.

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 12:59:06 AM »

Bam, I wasn't really taking anything away from Jeff, as I think I stated.  He is doing well, and that is great.  My point, as the regulars here know, is that whenever someone wins a race, the guys at FOX always automatically say they are on a roll.  They did it with Jimmy Johnson, they did it with Jeff Gordon, whoever.  I know what they meant.

And just for the record, as Ryan Newman proved last year, poles mean nothing, and Talledega, at least in my book, can't be counted as a win.

May the best racer win, however, I think it will be more like whoever gets the most yellow flag wins, the most pity-passes, and the most bending of the rules.  At this point in the game, you are right, being on a roll doesn't matter.  Unfortunately thanks to the new points system, we are still in pre-season.
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 03:17:36 AM »

I understood what you meant, but I think you were taking away from his win with the statement:

" I guess my disgust comes in from the pre-race show talking about his "roll". So he won one race, big deal. He blew up the week before"

And as for Talladega - he played by the rules and won the race in their book.

I do agree with you though that the announcers talk up whoever is doing well.  I guess they think they are creating excitement.

FYI - I am a regular here.  I read every day I just don't post very often.

marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 03:54:24 AM »

Ok, I apologize for offending you with my statement about "regulars".  I suppose I should modify that to "those who know and understand my sense of humor."

Not that I want to beat this to death, but NO I was not taking anything away from Jeff.  My statement regarding "He won one race, big deal, he blew up the week before" was directed at the announcers.  Since he has now won TWO races in a Row, yes, I would agree he is on a roll.  I was only trying to point out that they seem to have the John Madden complex in jumping to conclusions.  It wouldn't have mattered if it had been Jeff or any of the drivers they were talking about.

Case in point, two years ago (could be three, I lose track) Jerry Nadeau was leading the race and there were like 15 laps to go.  The Fox guys were already giving him the win, talking about how he was the driver to come from the farthest (37th) to win a race at this track (Can't remember the track even).  Second to last lap, he ran out of gas.  Bobby Labonte won, becoming the driver to come farthest to win (38th).  I laughed my butt off.  Nothing against Jerry, just, well, it was funny to listen to them have to go back on themselves.

SO-I am sorry if I offended you.  Didn't mean anything by it, was just using Gordon as an example.  I just had reached a boiling point with the FOX guy's ability to "predict the future".  Guess they got lucky this time.  Or finally noticed the obvious, I am not sure.
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 04:31:58 AM »

I remember that Nadeau race - I think it was Sonoma (or Sears Point then) actually.  I agree though the announcers do tend to ride the current bandwagon.  I am afraid that NBC won't be much better though.  If Junior goes on a roll, we will be hearing ad nauseum from Benny about what a credit to NASCAR he is. :?

Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 12:43:55 PM »

I remember that Nadeau race - I think it was Sonoma (or Sears Point then) actually.

I think maybe it was an Atlanta race :?:

Also, being "on a roll", unless you are a cheeseburger, is only meaningful this season if you are in a position like Mark Martin. Any driver outside the top 10 and 400 point gap - that starts winning multiple races and has top 5 finish after top 5 finish will officially be "on a roll" because they are "making a run" to break into the "Chase for the Championship". They could also be considered to be "in the groove" or "in the zone", even "headed towards the front".

Lou "heading for the hills" Lauer

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 12:54:10 PM »

Quote from: "Lou"
I remember that Nadeau race - I think it was Sonoma (or Sears Point then) actually.

I think maybe it was an Atlanta race :?:

Also, being "on a roll", unless you are a cheeseburger, is only meaningful this season if you are in a position like Mark Martin. Any driver outside the top 10 and 400 point gap - that starts winning multiple races and has top 5 finish after top 5 finish will officially be "on a roll" because they are "making a run" to break into the "Chase for the Championship". They could also be considered to be "in the groove" or "in the zone", even "headed towards the front".

Lou "heading for the hills" Lauer

You forgot your favorite term, dear: "He's got momentum!"   :lol:

Actually Jerry had a problem at Atlanta AND Sears Point.  I think he blew up or ran out of gas in the [cursed] 25 car and another year blew up in the Petty car at the road course (both while leading).  Or it could've been Dave Blaney when he was in the 25 car at Atlanta.  Drivers of the 25 car have had so much bad luck over the years, it's hard to remember it all clearly.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 04:46:06 PM »

The race you are referring to was the NAPA 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway in October 2001.

Interestingly, drivers won three times from provisional spots that year: Elliott Sadler at Bristol in March, Ward Burton at the Southern 500 at Darlington, and B. Labonte.  All of them started 37th or 38th, which were  provisional spots at the time.

Now that the provisionals start at 39th, it is unlikely that another driver who did not qualify on time will win a Nextel Cup race anytime soon.

And, yes, Nadeau was driving the number 25 car back then.  That team hasn't been the same since Tim Richmond died.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 06:31:22 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
That team hasn't been the same since Tim Richmond died.

Oh, I don't know.  Kenny Schrader score 4 wins in the 25 car between 1988 and 1991.  Just nothing since... :cry:

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2004, 09:47:56 PM »

Sometimes I think all of their phrases are like the ones "If the race ended now" and "If the season ended now" or "If this were the last race before the chase".  They are usually just wishey-washey on most of the stuff they say.  Their feelings and ideas change as often as someone else takes the lead, whether it is in the race or in the points.

I remember Nadeau at Sear Point and think that was an out of gas one.  I know they usually do proclaim the winner before the race ends and sometimes it comes back to haunt them.   :mrgreen:
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2004, 11:26:03 PM »

cheryl i remember the nadeau race at atlanta he ran out of gas
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2004, 11:45:12 PM »

I hope with Brian Vickers in the 25 now they can jump start the luck there.  During the last seven races he has done well.

marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2004, 04:46:57 AM »

Yes, it was Atlanta.  I remember it being an oval track, and I know it was Bobby Labonte who won.  I don't believe he has ever won at Sonoma, but thank you to all for clearing up my fuzzy memory.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: