November 20, 2017, 02:37:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: not enough cars  (Read 1230 times)
super61
« on: March 04, 2007, 02:09:30 AM »

for the second week in a row, there are not enough cars to fill a full field in the busch series. it was only a slight mention on the truck broadcast (which also did not have a full field). This week 40 cars took time, 3 didn't. 41 will most likely start unless Na$car buys a backup car from one of the cup teams to make a full field. This shortage of teams/cars does not bode well with a potential sponsor.
I, for one, would not ante up the $30 odd million bucks ransom to sponsor a series that cannot draw a full field with out the buschwhackers. This will be a regular occurence once the sh**box of today takes to the track. There will be nothing gained by the cup teams to have a driver in both races. I see it getting even to the point where there won't be 35 cars at a track. What a slap in the face to all the fans who have supported the series for all these years. But then it will fall back to "without the support and participation of the cup teams in the busch series, it will falter and fade away" Wrong, teams are not going to get a sponsor to run at the top of the series as long as the whackers keep taking all the media attention away from them.

just my .02

ken
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 12:18:54 AM »

They had 43 start today, but two obviously were just "start and park" - Kesolowski and another guy were immediately listed as "out."    I agree with Ken, though, it's just sad that the standalone Busch teams have been forced out of the series by so much Cup money.

Cheryl
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 02:38:58 AM »

I don't know about Kesolowski. That race is a long haul for a low buck team to S&P for $40,000. If they wanted the points they could have put the #23 on someones backup and stuck a local driver in for a one lap run.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 01:25:31 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I believe Kesolowski planned to qualify and run the race, but for some reason, they didn't get to quality and then apparently just started and parked the car in the race.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 05:54:53 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I believe Kesolowski planned to qualify and run the race, but for some reason, they didn't get to quality and then apparently just started and parked the car in the race.

I agree with that.  This is a Keith Coleman Racing car and that team has some history and some sponsor money.  Maybe it just didn't go far enough in this case, in all senses of the word.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 09:18:28 PM »

It strikes me as being a real shame to go all that distance to simply run a lap and be done with it. I wonder if the Busch series is not in real trouble. Sad

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 12:01:37 AM »

I feel like the demise of the Busch series has been spray painted on the wall in neon paint for some time; at least since the NEXTEL drivers took over the series.  It seems one Busch series team after another was closing shop this winter due lack of funds.  I'm probably overstating/reacting to the reduced fields and their effects on the series since the NEXTEL series went through this same situation a few years ago.  Rumor has it NA$CAR even paid some teams under the table to fill fields.  They may wind up doing the same thing with the Busch series, especially at the few remaining stand alone races and the aforementioned COT disparity with the Cup cars.
I hate to be so pessemistic, but I just don't see a rosy future for any of the national racing series.  It appears IRL/CART have managed to self implode without the leadership of Buffoon Brian.  Could NA$CAR be far behind given the financial straits our major manufacturers are in?

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
sally
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 02:19:56 AM »

Things are certainly looking grim for the Busch series.  I haven't heard that a sponsor is banging on the door to step up and sponsor it with Busch leaving next year.  Maybe BF will have to get on of the 'Official sponsors of...' to transfer their $$ to the Busch series instead?  And I've read that the manufacturers are 'totally behind' the COT.  Yeah, right.  Niscar owns the chassis and bodies, NOT the manufacturers.  So far, Chevy is the only one I've seen even using the COT in their ads for the Impala, and they position the REAL Chevy and the camera so you can't see the splitter and wing.  Nice shots of the door and window.  Yeah, THAT aught ot sell lots of Chevys.

Sally
super61
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 02:47:20 AM »

it may come to na$car paying to put cars in the field...but who builds the "house cars"Huh?Huh?

ken
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 01:29:58 PM »

Things are certainly looking grim for the Busch series.  I haven't heard that a sponsor is banging on the door to step up and sponsor it with Busch leaving next year.  Maybe BF will have to get one of the 'Official sponsors of...' to transfer their $$ to the Busch series instead? 

I agree it would make more sense to have a sponsor step up and move to the Busch Series; however, BF wants his cake and to eat it too, so that'll never happen.  He'll expect someone else to sign on and put even more money in NA$CAR's coffers.

And I've read that the manufacturers are 'totally behind' the COT.  Yeah, right.  Niscar owns the chassis and bodies, NOT the manufacturers. 

I don't think the manufacturers have ever owned the chassis...Maybe WAY back when they provided them, but for 30 years or more, haven't the cars been specially built by the teams for racing anyway?

So far, Chevy is the only one I've seen even using the COT in their ads for the Impala, and they position the REAL Chevy and the camera so you can't see the splitter and wing.  Nice shots of the door and window. 

I guess I see it as they are featuring the production Impala, so why wouldn't they show it the most in the commercial?  That's what they are trying to sell, not the race car.

Also, Dodge is promoting the new Avenger model, which hasn't come out yet, so they can't very well feature it in any commericals yet. 

Ford is still promoting that goofy looking Fusion...(can't help but think of how the razor came out the same time as the car).   Cheesy

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 07:45:25 PM »

Maybe Brian France can hit Vince McMahon up for some money to sponsor what is now the Busch Series.  After all, the comparisons are now valid... laugh

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: