November 21, 2017, 06:32:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wild Finish in Busch Race!  (Read 792 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: July 03, 2004, 03:39:24 PM »

I'm sure it won't be a popular opinion around here, but...I thought it was great to see Mike Wallace, (a Busch regular), get the win last night!   And, contrary to the way Fox made it sound, Mike Wallace was running up front all night.  I know cause I was watching him becuase I knew he's been very successful on the restrictorplate tracks the last few years.  At the end, in their clearly biased condemning of Leffler, Fox neglected to mention that Mike had been going for the lead several laps from the end.  

The replays after the race pretty much showed me that Michael moved up to block Leffler and paid the price.  Yes, Leffler has a lot less experience than a bunch of Cup whackers, yet he did a credible job coming back up through the field after early troubles.  It was suppose to be a BUSCH race, so, while I'm glad Michael is uninjured, it didn't break my heart to see him and his Cup teammate drop back.  

After the wreck, Lou predicted Leffler would be crucified and he was not wrong.  I think he was rattled after the wreck (who wouldn't be) and was responsbile for getting he and Earnhardt into the wall.  But I think the thing with Michael was both driver's fault.  Of course, Fox chose to take the side of the commentator's brother and his teammate.  Great unbiased reporting as usual from Fox.

While there are some things Mike Wallace had done in the past that I haven't liked, I think he showed a veteran's skill at this type of track and stayed up front all night and was in the position to capitalize when the leaders got together.  So I'm happy to finally see a true underdog team get such a big win.  He is the first driver this year to win in Busch who isn't a Cup regular of have Cup ties.  So I'm thrilled to see David beat the Goliath teams.  It doesn't seem to happen much any more.   Sad

Great race!  Glad to see everyone stayed safe despite some wild driving by both Cup "veterans" and Busch regulars alike.

Cheryl
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 03:51:26 PM »

So now I just read on thatsracin that NASCAR has penalized Leffler for "unnecessary roughness" for the incident with the 81 car, and dropped him from 2nd back to 13th position.  Gee, if he'd gotten together with David Green or Jason Keller fighting for the lead, would this have happened?  I doubt it.  

And now NASCAR is using football terms in it's penalties?  Give me a break!

Penalizing a Busch regular who is running for championship points for an incident with a Cup driver just seems wrong to me.   Not that Leffler is in a position to win the Busch championship anyway, but it just seems an overly harsh penalty to me.  I'm not a big fan of Leffler's either, but I don't think he did either thing intentionally.  You put cars all together in these tight quarters and high speeds and this stuff is gonna happen.  Especially at the end of the race when everyone is going for the win.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 09:29:10 PM »

I must have watched the replays a dozen times and I think that maybe it was both Mikey's and Lefler's fault on that one.  On the Jr one, I think that Jason definitely drove up into Jr and although I am not a Mike Wallace fan (goes back many years when he really badmouthed women and said they had no business in the sport), I am glad he won rather than Jason.  I haven't figured out exactly what Lefler was trying to do.  I think he was really sheepish in his interview and tried to place blame on everyone but himself and that turned me off.  Especially when he indicated pay-back in the Jr situation in a round about way.  I made the remark to Don that we will see so many situations like those in the last 10 Cup races.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 11:10:04 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
I must have watched the replays a dozen times and I think that maybe it was both Mikey's and Lefler's fault on that one.  On the Jr one, I think that Jason definitely drove up into Jr and although I am not a Mike Wallace fan (goes back many years when he really badmouthed women and said they had no business in the sport), I am glad he won rather than Jason.  I haven't figured out exactly what Lefler was trying to do.  I think he was really sheepish in his interview and tried to place blame on everyone but himself and that turned me off.  Especially when he indicated pay-back in the Jr situation in a round about way.  I made the remark to Don that we will see so many situations like those in the last 10 Cup races.

Haha!  That's the same reason I have not liked Mike Wallace in the past.  When he bragged to Joe Nemechek that he would take Shanna Robinson out on the first lap when she had the pole at the Busch race in Atlanta.  

On the payback thing, I don't remember it myself, but a few other people have written today that supposedly Junior did something like that to him at Talladega.  I have no idea if that is true though.

Glad to see noboby's real upset about the finish, so that's good.  I've gotten a little more respect for Mike in the last few years because he's kept his nose clean for the most part and shown some real skill on these high-speed tracks.

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 12:23:41 AM »

Hey, were there only 15 cars in the race Sat. night?  with the cars strung out, the chosen few were the only ones we heard about.  I'm not sorry to say good bye to Fox.
Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 08:23:50 PM »

I don't feel like we even saw that many.  This morning I was feeling nostalgic and wanted to see some "better" racing (not great mind you because it was still restricted), so I popped in a tape of the 96 Pepsi 400.  I'd forgotten that that race was rain-delayed about 3 hours at the beginning as well.  But since it was scheduled to start at 11 a.m. back then, they still got most of it in before it rained again.  I remembered that it ended under yellow because of rain.

But the big thing I noticed right off the bat was how much of the field ESPN talked about.  And this is not just romanticizing ESPN either.  They talked about almost every car out there and showed racing back in the back almost as much as the leaders.  Plus theu mentioned the sponsors almost every time they talked about a car.  Yes, they talked a lot about Sterling Marlin who was the reigning restrictorplate champion at the time, but he led most of the race and made a great dash back to the front after falling back to 12th with an ignition problem in the middle of the race.  But they talked about people like Greg Sacks, Lake Speed, Brett Bodine, Dick Trickle, Loy Allen, etc. and actually showed them racing for positon with other cars.  

This past Saturday night, I felt like Rusty Wallace, Dale Jarrett, Ricky Rudd, and Sterling were not even in the race most of the time.   Sad

Another thing that was quite interesting was that ESPN called Johnny Benson and Jeff Purivis the "youngsters" who were starting near the front.  I don't know either of their exact ages, but I'd say they are close to 40 right now, so even 8 years ago, they were in their early 30s.  Funny, today, guys that age would be just about over the hill to the youth oriented networks we now have.  How sad...

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 09:00:22 PM »

Cheryl, in Jason's interview he mentioned that Jr had done the same thing to him with 3 laps to go in that Talledega race.  That's what made me think it was deliberate.

I don't know if they ever mentioned Rusty at all.  They did mention Dale and Mark Martin a couple of times, Sterling once and Ricky twice I think.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: