November 24, 2017, 01:02:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Toyota...American manufacturer?  (Read 961 times)
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« on: February 27, 2007, 04:42:13 AM »

Hope this link works:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070227/bs_nm/toyota_us_plant_dc_1

This article sorta ties in to Cheryl's previous article.  Toyota is trying to reduce the number of imports.  That's one of the more outlandish things I've read in a while.  I will say, "The "integrity of today's media makes my conscience want to shrivel up and join my reproductive things under my armpits. 

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 01:39:57 PM »

What gets me is that these foreign manufacturers pick some of the poorest areas of our country in which to build these plants.  Then the towns give them every kind of incentive to come there and the workers are happy to accept whatever wages they give them.  I'm all for giving folks jobs in areas with high unemployment, but it's just suspect that these companies pick these types of areas.  They can pay them so much less than those working in big city auto plants with high costs of living. 

And, no, I'm definitely NOT pro auto-worker unions, but this type of business practice just bugs me (especially after seeing that documentary on the closing of the Ford plant).

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 03:51:40 PM »

I suppose we could discuss (and cuss) this issue till the cows come home and still come to no agreement on every point. I really do not think that there are many clear answers, no one size fits all type propositions to solve each person's concerns.
 One quick example. I grew up in a GM town, very definitely union, in a family w/out any union workers, and a father who disliked the unions. In spite of the presence of all the GM plants, the best place in town to work was non union till the 60's, NCR. John Patterson, the founder, had put a treat them well and they will be loyal workers type philosophy in place that lasted for several generations. Now of course there is little or no Manufacturing by NCR here in town. Oh well.
  So, who knows. I just do not like the idea of ceding control to non USA companies.
 BTW, my point above should be clarified to the effect that the local and national unions, both directly and indirectly, helped create a strong middle class which is now fading into history, but which was great for Dayton and other cities for many , many years. Sad

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 08:23:37 PM »

Cheryl, also consider the public relations factor.  With many NASCAR fans not welcoming the arrival of Toyota in the Cup series, maybe they think that making more cars in America will lead to greater acceptance of the NASCAR programs.  What do you think?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 08:35:45 PM »

Cheryl, also consider the public relations factor.  With many NASCAR fans not welcoming the arrival of Toyota in the Cup series, maybe they think that making more cars in America will lead to greater acceptance of the NASCAR programs.  What do you think?

I think that is what Toyota thinks will happen, but they are delusional if they think it will make a difference with hardcore fans like me.   Roll Eyes

Cheryl
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 05:03:20 AM »

Cheryl, I'm in total agreement regarding the placement of these plants.  It isn't just the towns but the states buying these plants.  North Carolina was in the running for both the BMW and Mercedes North America assembly plants (note "assembly" Wink) but couldn't or wouldn't come with the money Alabama and South Carolina did.  It boggles my humble mind how much money states will cough up to lure some major enterprise to their fair area.  North Carolina just gave Google about a quarter billion in incentives to build a center here.  Will I see any benefit from this?  No.  I'm just curious how long it will take for Google to repay this initiative.

Sorry, my mind is wandering...gotta quit this:)

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 05:39:02 PM »

American business must be so greedy nowadays.  Whatever happened to paying for one's own factory, sports venues, or whatever?  It would be a great gesture and would save the taxpayers lots of money.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 06:35:28 PM »

American business must be so greedy nowadays. 

Uh, last time I looked Toyota was still a Japanese business... Wink

Cheryl
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 08:33:59 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 08:16:38 PM »

Sometimes I think that Desmond has the same problem I have of tripping over my tongue, figuratively speaking.
 Like James, tho, I cannot get over the lengths which some Govt. entities will go to lure new plants. Some business folks see the whole process as a commodity for which they should shop for the best deal, just like any other product.
 I disagree, simply because the "sellers" are dealing with our tax dollars, not their own invested capital. Roll Eyes

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 07:18:28 PM »

When I meant American business, I mean the companies, sports teams, movie studios etc. that ask for taxpayer subsidies.  I probably should have written "business in general."  It is unfortunately what they are taught and what they think is right, regardless of where they are in the world.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: