November 23, 2017, 12:15:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alltel selling? Mergining? Verizon?  (Read 741 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: February 26, 2007, 03:37:57 PM »

Sounds like another team might be in trouble because of Next-hell's exclusivity agreements.  From Jayksi:

"Alltel Corp. could fetch a price tag of $25 billion to $31 billion from private equity firms or other U.S. mobile service providers looking to expand in rural markets, analysts said Tuesday [Feb 20th]. Alltel, the top rural U.S. wireless provider, fueled merger speculation when it said during an earnings conference call Tuesday that it was reviewing its strategic options. Analysts said a sale agreement could happen as early as April. Its shares rose 3.3 percent to $62.40 after the comments, also spurred by better-than-expected quarterly results. Some analysts said Verizon Communications was the most likely company to bid for Alltel as Verizon Wireless uses the same CDMA network technology, making any merger easier. Verizon Wireless has the second-biggest U.S. customer base but leads in terms of revenue. Alltel, with 12 million customers, could also attract bids from AT&T's Cingular Wireless, Sprint Nextel or Deutsche Telekom AG's T-Mobile USA, analysts said. Alltel has approached AT&T, Verizon and Sprint, and "made the rounds" among some private equity firms, but no one has jumped to buy the company yet, the source said. Michael Nelson, an analyst at Stanford Group, said private equity firms, which have bought a series of technology companies last year, were more likely acquirers than Alltel's wireless rivals. "I would say Verizon's the most likely strategic buyer," he said. But since Verizon has grown nicely on its own, "I still don't believe Verizon is a willing buyer of the asset unless their hand is forced and they risk losing it," Nelson added. Analysts said Alltel would likely aim for a sale agreement by April or May, ahead of a U.S. government sale of wireless airwaves that could take place as early as August. Rival bidders are barred from talking to each other once they register to take part in the auction. Analysts said No. 3 U.S. wireless provider Sprint Nextel could be a bidder as it also uses CDMA technology, but they note that Sprint's financial results have flagged in recent quarters as it struggled to integrate its Nextel purchase. Representatives for the companies in this story declined to comment or were not immediately available for comment.(money.cnn.com), what does this mean to the #12 team which is sponsored by Alltel? no idea...too early to tell.(2-25-2007)"

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 10:43:01 PM »

Just like Cingular will it be?

BTW, has anyone noticed that Jeff Burton or the announcers never say the word Cingular anymore?Huh??
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 01:44:26 AM »

Just like Cingular will it be?

BTW, has anyone noticed that Jeff Burton or the announcers never say the word Cingular anymore?Huh??

No, not really.  Aren't they still doing the Cingular Poll Question?  I could've sworn I saw it, but then there are so many polls and popularity votes during the broadcast, they all run together for me after a while.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 08:15:46 PM »

No, not really.  Aren't they still doing the Cingular Poll Question?  I could've sworn I saw it, but then there are so many polls and popularity votes during the broadcast, they all run together for me after a while.

Yes, there is still the Cingular poll question; in fact, there were two on the last telecast.  According to Jayski, Cingular will remain on the car through at least June; apparently AT&T is confident of reaching a settlement with NASCAR to put it on the car.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 04:44:06 AM »

This may be inappropriate here, but I'm continually amazed by the effects of our global economy.  It wasn't too many years ago the Supreme Court busted up "Ma Bell" as a monopoly and now I see the baby bells merging back together. It used to be; make a better mouse trap and build it into the world's biggest mouse trap manufacturer.  Today, it's more like building the better mouse trap and suckering some larger company to pay enough for it to support your family's next ten generations.  I don't have a problem with this until the better mouse trap is farmed out to third world countries for manufacturing and materials and manufacturing standards diminish.  Then the manufacturer has "brand recognition" and is the best mouse trap producer and begins buying up any other mouse trap manufacturers but also buys the brand name and rights.  Ultimately, they have ABC, DEF, GHI, etc. mousetraps.  They're all distributed through the same networks, only at different prices depending on name recognition.

Sorry about all that drivel, but in a couple years we'll probably have as much choice for cell phones as we do for landline phones today.  It seems another cell provider is gone every week and BTW I have Alltel and have been pretty happy.  Some want to get bigger and others are happy to bail out, take their chocolate and munch on it.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 01:16:38 PM »

This may be inappropriate here, but I'm continually amazed by the effects of our global economy.  It wasn't too many years ago the Supreme Court busted up "Ma Bell" as a monopoly and now I see the baby bells merging back together.

James, that is exactly the same thing I think of every time we hear about another one of these mergers.  First Next-Hell and Sprint, then AT&T and Cingular, and now this one.  What independent cell phone providers are left??  And everyone knows the consumer is the one who loses when their are monopolies like this. 

Cheryl
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 04:14:30 PM »

Wasn't the intent of the original breakup of monopolies to help the consumer? With better choices and prices? Seems like the process has morphed into one that helps the companies involved much more than the consumer....

Vivian
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 10:46:42 PM »

James, that is not drivel.  It is so true and I have been thinking the same thing for several years. 

Thank you for bringing it up and to everyone's attention. 
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 11:09:01 PM »

James has a way with words doesn't he? Good points, James.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: