November 22, 2017, 09:22:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Team Wants Special Treatment for Allmendinger  (Read 656 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: February 27, 2007, 04:19:31 PM »

Last night on NASCAR Now, it was mentioned that Red Bull Racing was complaining that it took so long for Allendinger to get through tech inspection at CA that he didn't get much practice time.  So they lobbied NASCAR to give them extra track time.  I'm sorry, but those are the breaks!  I heard on XM that Jeremy Mayfield's team spent 51 minutes in tech line as well.  But you didn't hear Bill Davis Racing asking for extra practice for him.  Teams get to go through tech inspection based on where they are in points, I believe.  So these teams (and others who didn't make Daytona) are at the bottom of the heap as far as points are concerned.

I am NOT bashing Allmendinger specifically, but, to me, this just shows that drivers shouldn't be thrown into the Cup Series without doing a year or more in Busch or the trucks first.  That's where they should be getting their extra practice on the track, not crying for welfare from the Cup Series. 

Glad to see NA$CAR actually stood up to this team and didn't give their rookie driver any special treatment.  I can't remember if he was running in the Busch race or not, but he should've been able to get some practice in that series if he was.  Perhaps, this team is just not ready for Cup yet...

Cheryl
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 04:23:38 PM by Cheryl » Logged
super61
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 05:35:52 PM »

Cheryl, that aside, they need to fix the inspection process, you are lined up basically by last years owner points for tech. all inpsections should be done before practice starts so all teams have equal track time. this is just one of those things that nascar will never change tho

ken
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 08:02:36 PM »

I can't remember if he was running in the Busch race or not, but he should've been able to get some practice in that series if he was.  Perhaps, this team is just not ready for Cup yet...

No, but he did drive in the Craftsman Truck Series race on Friday night there.  He is starting the year in the #00 truck, then he will give way to Josh Wise and Ken Butler III from driver development.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 12:32:04 AM »

They whole inspection process just adds to the 'rich getting richer' theory.

cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 04:25:07 AM »

I agree with Ken; for the sake of fairness (like NA$AR cares),  inspection should be completed in time for all teams to have the same amount of practice.  I also agree it's not going to happen.

This topic was addressed on Windtunnel Sunday night and Despain's take was it wouldn't happen because of the additional expense (to NA$CAR) to bring in the inspectors earlier to accomodate the entire field.

I also read a suggestion elsewhere (can't remember who or where) that NA$CAR could expedite the process by fining or penalizing crew chiefs for cars that didn't pass inspection.  Why not put the cars in NA$CAR's hands the moment the inspection process begins and once one area doesn't pass spec's, it goes back to the end of the line, the crews can't touch the car during the inspection process.  Maybe Baby Barnum could find a way to work in a "Lucky Cur" provision where each seventh failing car only has to go back the beginning of that inspection station (sponsored by Seagrams Seven of course) 

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 05:33:00 PM »

With all due respect, I do not think that AJ is ready for Nextel Cup racing at this time.  However, I do feel for him and for Team Red Bull, because with so little practice time, there is no chance to find out how the car will set up for qualifying.

Same for the Front Row team for which Kevin Lepage drives.  Lepage only had one qualifying lap last Friday, which was followed by a crash on the warmup lap of qualifying.  Needless to say, Lepage went home.

So, yes, the inspection process should be streamlined.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 11:35:32 PM »

If he ran Busch, he would be elgible for the extra rookie practice they seem to utilize.  A lot of these drivers need seat time in Busch and trucks.  JMO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: