November 21, 2017, 02:57:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Earning It  (Read 913 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: June 29, 2004, 01:40:58 AM »

Watching the Busch highlights on 24/7 tonight reminded of something I noticed during the Busch broadcast Saturday night.  Phil Parsons (who normally does the truck series races), kept using a word that stuck with me.  I couldn't help but believe he feels the same way most of the fans do about the free pass.  It concerns when Ron Hornaday got lapped early and then managed to pass the leader after a restart and then stay ahead of him until the caution came out.  Phil pointed out that Ron "EARNED" his lap back.  After the first time he used that word, I noticed that he used it several more times during the broadcast.  I couldn't help but think he was trying to make a point to NASCAR:  that those they give the free pass to week after week have not earned their position (and ultimately the win in at least two cases this season).  

Anyway, I was real proud that Phil got the point across for all of us fans whose voices are obviously not being heard by NASCAR.  Anybody else notice his use and emphasis on that term?

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 05:53:23 PM »

Cheryl, I didn't notice the emphasis on "earning" the lap back, but I agree with the sentiment. Overall, I find Phil Parsons to be a breath of fresh air as ex-racer broadcasters go. I like Benny too.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 08:09:55 PM »

I noticed that also, Cheryl.  I liked that idea of pointing it out.  Did anyone see Wind Tunnel last night and hear Dave's opinion?  He said they have more or less always had it, just called it something else.  Like drivers waiting so someone could get back on the lead lap, etc.  I don't know. I cannot agree that was the same thing.  Sometimes, I think his comparisons do not have merit although sometimes I think he comes up with some good valid points.
ronbarnes7777
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 08:46:25 PM »

hey cheryl did you get my article on the free pass rule and if you did can you tell me when will it be posted?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 01:42:54 AM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes7777"
hey cheryl did you get my article on the free pass rule and if you did can you tell me when will it be posted?

No, Ron, I didn't.  What address did you send it to???

Cheryl
ronbarnes7777
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 03:18:53 PM »

i sent it to cheryl@speedcouch.com?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 03:30:26 PM »

Ron,

I'm sorry, I never got it from you directly.  Vivian did send it to me, so I was able to edit it yesterday.  Lou was going to post it last night and sent you an email about it.  Did you get that?  If you would like do a little bio about yourself, we can add that and get the article posted tonight.
ronbarnes7777
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2004, 04:45:16 PM »

yes cheryl i will have the bio to lou by 5pm thanks for everything.btw i will be going to the nh race this month.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 04:47:05 PM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes7777"
yes cheryl i will have the bio to lou by 5pm thanks for everything.btw i will be going to the nh race this month.

Thanks!  Can you send me your most direct email address in private email to cheryl@speedcouch.com?  That way I'll be able to get in touch with you directly and not go through the list.  Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: