November 24, 2017, 05:54:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mike Joy Interview...  (Read 538 times)
SeattleFan
Sophmore

« on: February 21, 2007, 12:08:13 AM »

Cheryl,  thanks for the feature on Mike Joy.  He holds a special place for me...

Some of you know this story but it bears repeating...

Years ago, I used to attend the fall Dover race with my son, Tyler.  We had seats high in turn 2. 

The Saturday BGN race was pretty exciting.  My favorite, Ricky Craven, was leading by a long ways cruising for a win when his motor let go and a first timer ended winning.  Afterwards Tyler and I went to TGI Friday's for dinner.   Seated right across a narrow aisle was the TNN crew - Mike Joy, Benny Parsons, Kenny Wallace and a female guest, Christine.  Tyler got up to go to the bathroom as Joy and company were talking about how they liked the first time winner (can't remember his name).  I picked up my Craven hat and told them how disappointed I was.  We spoke for a bit and then I asked them if they would sign Tyler's Ernie Ervin hat while he was away.  They all signed it (I insisted the Christine sign too  - which she did).

When Tyler got back to his seat he saw his hat signed his eyes were huge!  At that point, Mike leaned over, handed Tyler a pen and piece of paper and said, "Tyler, you have my autograph, but I don't have yours.  Please sign this for me!" 

This was definitely a class action from a class man.  Some 10 years later, this still brings a smile to my face (and heart!)

Ken

Vivian
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 02:14:55 AM »

Ken, what a wonderful memory and thank you for sharing it with us.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 04:08:38 PM »

Great story, Ken. Did you ever find out who Christine was?

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 05:22:40 PM »

Thanks for posting that story, Ken!  I remember you telling me about it before, but it was still great to hear it again.  Just proves even more what I said in the article about how generous and genuinelly nice Mike is. 

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 06:14:55 PM »

Now I know why he is one of my favorite NASCAR people. Smiley

I still haven't read the story.  I better get to it soon.

Edit: I have since read the article.  This was a great way to meet this fine announcer, and I want to thank Cheryl personally for her effort in the interview.  I also want to thank Cheryl for being sensitive and not asking Joy to defend his colleagues, who are so often criticized here.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 06:17:02 PM by Desmond » Logged

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
SeattleFan
Sophmore

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 07:03:38 PM »

Her name is Christine Fluskiger. 

I never did find out who she was.  It was kind of funny after the guys signed it they passed it back to me... I passed it over to her and I said that you need to sign it too.  She protested saying, "But I'm nobody"  I said, "You mean no one has ever asked for your autograph?"  "No"  "Well, I am now.  Please sign."  She did.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: