November 19, 2017, 03:29:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SPOILER -- Truck Race at Fontana -- SPOILER  (Read 668 times)
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« on: February 24, 2007, 03:26:46 PM »

Well, let's see - another chapter in Mark Martin's "Wheel of Misfortune...

To explain their non-caution at Daytona, the talking heads claimed that since the spinning car was heading towards the infield and out of the way, they did not need a caution. So when the #10 David Starr truck spins - at the rear of the field - and heads towards the infield where he gets going with ZERO damage or interference to other drivers, guess what? The rules change and an immediate yellow is thrown. After all, it would make for a better finish to bunch them up on a late race restart.

The Martin haters will all say "so what, it was Martin", but they are missing the bigger point of yet another example of rules inconsistency and "show" manipulation to produce a desired outcome. No they did not know that Hornaday would proceed to wreck the leader on the restart, but they did know it would bunch up the field for the last 10 laps and have everyone writing about how great the racing is at California...

And let's not even get started on the fact that nobody should ever be allowed to wreck the race leader (Martin or anyone) and NOT be issued some sort of penalty.

I don't care that Martin didn't win. I care that they (NA$CAR) have reached new lows yet will never be called on it by the media.

I should have known it would go downhill when TV claimed that NA$CAR was "searching for debris off turn 2" early in the race and then poof, a return from commercial finds the field under yellow after they finally
found that wet-wipe 500 feet out of the racing groove....

Losers - the officials and the viewers - but from different definitions.

Lou
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 03:28:43 PM by Lou » Logged

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 05:30:44 PM »

Lou, I admire your ability to state the situation so eloquently, and for your restraint.
 Strangely, as I sat there is disbelief, anger was not my initial emotion. Rather, a sense of despair came over me. Is this really the way things are going to be from now on??
 And Hornaday's explanation just makes it worse. His deal sort of makes the leader responsible for not wrecking anyone behind him!! HUH???

Mark was, of course, as gracious as ever. Me?
 Well, I'm gonna find as many truck and car shows on Sundays as possible and just avoid Nascar as much as I can. I CAN live very well, thank you, w/out Nascar's crap.

Dick Angry

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 06:29:37 PM »

At least twice during the truck race, I said "they're calling cautions for the same type of spins they didn't at the end of the Cup race last week..."  One of which was when Martin spun near the end.  Just more of NA$CAR manufacturing a "close finish."  Angry 

The race last night was nothing more than a 100 lap parade until they called all those late cautions.  Ugh...Can't help but remember that they are suppose to be at Rockingham this weekend.   Sad

As to the end, I was glad to see a truck "regular" win, although I have never liked Skinner.  I've never been a fan of Martin, mostly because of him "whacking" in the Busch Series for so many years.  Now that he's started on the truck series as well, it didn't break my heart to see him not win.  From my view, Martin slowed and Hornaday did his usual jack rabbit restart, though I did see Martin's wheels come off the ground on the replays.  I'd characterize it as "oneofdemracingdeals." 

I can't really remember a time NA$CAR has sent someone to the back for wrecking the leader, so I didn't expect that this time.  Oh wait, there was that ONE time with Rudd and Allison at Sears Point.  Didn't agree with it then, and NA$CAR showed their inconsistency when they did not do a similar thing when a fan favorite did something similar a few years later.  So I did not expect it last night. 

If it was USAR, they consistently penalize anyone they think could've avoided spinning another car (leader or not - "star" or not).  This was not USAR...so I didn't expect any penalties.

Cheryl
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 06:31:29 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 06:40:51 PM »

OK, Cheryl, maybe Nascar doesn't penalize Hornaday in that situation, but cosidering that the leader was several truck lengths behind the start/finish line, the least they could have done would be to have another restart after realigning the cars exactly as they were before the spin. And I have seen Nascar do that before. Whether or not Mark won is not the point. The point is how he was taken out.
 Jmho as Vivian would say, (not that she would necessarily agree with me on this point). Grin

William James
sally
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 11:10:52 PM »

Somehow, this seems like an appropriate place for thisL
http://www.thatsracin.com/247/story/3155.html

Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 03:59:01 PM »

Sally, I couldn't get that link to work. Please give me a clue and I'll check THATS RACIN. Thanks.
 Dick

William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 05:36:16 PM »

The logo of NASCAR is now the picture for the dictionary definition of "inconsistent."

Sally, please re-check the link, because I got a 404 error too.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: