November 22, 2017, 03:41:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ticker on Truck Broadcast  (Read 1149 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: February 22, 2007, 08:04:15 PM »

Yesterday, I went back and watched part the truck broadcast again from my Tivo (since I fell asleep during the middle portions of the race).  What I noticed and forgot to mention earlier is that SPEED was using a silver text on a white background on the ticker.  Those two colors made it nearly impossible to read the information!  As I always say, doesn't someone at the network check out this stuff in a mock application before putting it on the air?? Roll Eyes 

Sure hope they can make it more legible this week's broadcast.

Cheryl
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 08:08:07 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 09:06:23 PM »

That editing void happens in the print media too. Nothing irritates me more than trying to read text which is set on a non contrasting background in a magazine .

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 09:11:05 PM »

Dick,
Is it that everyone is just too lazy to do a thorough job with stuff like this anymore?  If so, that's a sad commentary on society.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 10:14:43 PM »

I'm not sure what the responsibility heirachy is in the world of print journalism, Cheryl, but I see dumb stuff all the time, and my usual reaction is to exclaim: "doesn't anyone ever READ this stuff BEFORE they print it?"
 Our Sunday paper had a perfect example:
  On the front page was a headline saying (let's say) --THE SKY IS BLUE

Two pages later, the headline for an article said, essentially,:  THE SKY IS BROWN.
  Honest! I don't see how the editors could have missed the conflict.
 Anyhow, the Boss thinks I'm losing it when I get worked up about sloppy work like that. Maybe that is what makes me the lovable curmudgeon that I am!! Grin Grin

William James
shawn
Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 02:09:15 AM »

I agree the ticker was hard to read, plus with the nascar graphic on the far right side it didn't leave much room to display the drivers.

Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 01:18:45 PM »

I agree the ticker was hard to read, plus with the nascar graphic on the far right side it didn't leave much room to display the drivers.

I need that NASCAR graphic. How else will I know what I am watching?  Grin

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 01:33:38 PM »

I need that NASCAR graphic. How else will I know what I am watching?  Grin

Okay, that's another gripe I have.  WHY must every TV station show their station logo in the bottom right corner of every show?  Do they really think the American public is so clueless we don't know what channel we are watching?   Angry

Then you have the ones who throw up a graphic on the left of the screen (with the accompanying squishy noises), saying "you're watching blah-blah-blah now" then "Blah-blah-blah is next..."   Stuff like this just irritates the hell out of me!  With satellite and cable guides, these days, if you are channel-surfing and stop on a show, you can easily see what it is by pushing to status bar at the top of the screen.  But,  no the stations must think we are all too stupid to do that as well, so they have to keep cycling these graphics and interfering with my enjoyment of the show. 

Oh, yeah, that's right, I forgot everything in the media is keyed to cater to the short-attention span types. 

Hey Dick, tell Roberta, you're not the only one who gets worked up over this stuff, okay?   Smiley

Cheryl 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 06:03:14 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 04:02:39 PM »

Thanks. I need all the help I can get.
 Speaking of which, the one redeeming point about the channel logos in the lower right corner is that I can tell what I'm watching when I'm in a different area, like California or even Cleveland. Since the cable lineups are different, it helps me to navigate till I find the tvguide channel.

BTW, Cheryl, what is the status bar??? Huh? Grin

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 04:32:04 PM »

BTW, Cheryl, what is the status bar??? Huh? Grin

It's where the really important people go to drink... laugh

Actually, it's a button on DirecTV you push for "display" and it shows you the name of the program you are on, the channel, and a bit of information about it.  Sometimes, the running length too, I think.  I thought folks with cable had something like that now too, but I could be wrong. 

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 04:58:33 PM »

Good one, Cheryl. Now I know why I didn't know!! laugh

William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 06:13:13 PM »

Unfortunately, I erased a personal copy of the race--twice! Embarrassed--so I don't remember what it looks like.  But I remember that it was kind of big on the screen.

At least I get another chance to notice it tonight.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 09:09:58 PM »

I sure hope they do better tonight.  Is Mikey gonna be in the booth? Sad
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 01:27:41 AM »

I sure hope they do better tonight.  Is Mikey gonna be in the booth? Sad

Agh, I'm sure he will be since he was even there for truck qualifying.  Ugh...I kept the audio on XM and just watched the pictures on TV after I heard he was there.

Also, the ticker was white letters on silver background during quals and that was much easier to read.  Wonder if one of their graphics "wizards" got the colors reversed last week? Roll Eyes

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 06:43:25 PM »

I turned up the volume at the end to hear what they had to say, and Mikey promptly ruined it for me, as if Hornaday hadn't already, Grin.

William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 05:25:25 PM »

The ticker was still big and imposing, but based on your reports, it can't be as bad as it was last week.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: