November 24, 2017, 04:46:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stock cars?  (Read 1397 times)
sally
« on: July 01, 2004, 11:04:56 PM »

There is an EXTREMELY interesting article at autoextremist.com about why Detroit should pull out of Nascar.
Sally
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 01:03:48 AM »

For those cut/paste challenged people - click here

http://autoextremist.com/page2.shtml#Rant

Cool

sally
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 02:08:53 AM »

first you steal my joke, now you disparage my computer skills!  See how you are?
Sally :cry:
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 04:30:35 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
There is an EXTREMELY interesting article at autoextremist.com about why Detroit should pull out of Nascar.
Sally

Wow! Great article, Sally!  Where did you find that?  
He's sure hit the nail on the head!  NASCAR is out for themselves and nobody else.  I really like the "cult of personality" part too!  

Cheryl
ronbarnes7777
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 04:51:53 PM »

good one sally this really hits the spot.
sally
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 05:55:41 PM »

Shucks folks, it's not like i wrote it or anything (damn).  This guy was on Wind tunnel fairly recently, and said the same sort of thing, only less vehemently.  I wondered how Detroit would react to the new "car of the future" that Nascar is so proud of.  Maybe they figure that, if they have a spec car, they wont need Detroit anyway?
Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 08:37:51 AM »

I have read the article.  Not knowing too much about the technical details of the cars, I was startled to learn that the Monte Carlo, Intrepid and Taurus are more popular as rental cars than as new cars.  Guess that means my father could have driven a "NASCAR car" all over Denver for our recent trip to the family reunion on my mom's side :lol:

I also have a question: If, as DeLorenzo suggests, the manufacturers withdraw their support from NASCAR, how would the races work?  Would it be "run what you brung," like some of the short tracks?  Obviously, you can't have NASCAR without the cars.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 11:05:16 AM »

I think the only thing that would change is that many teams would no longer get factory support of any kind...wind tunnel,parts, etc.  Since Nascar seems well on the way to producing a spec car (the car of the future), the teams would then have to buy chassis from Nascar?  Hmmm.  Nice racket?
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 04:36:08 PM »

Guess that means more costs for the teams.  Ugh!

Anyway, Brian France now has another new idea for making money, which is just about the only thing he can really do.  What company will become the Official Car Rental Agency of NASCAR?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: