November 20, 2017, 04:48:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: BTW...  (Read 539 times)
sally
« on: February 19, 2007, 11:42:25 PM »

Another BTW....

Ratings for the 500 were 10.1 (17.3 million viewers)
Last year the 500 got an 11.3 ratings
The smaller numbers were blamed on the race being shorter (due to fewer long cautions, I presume) than last year's race.  This, after the pundits were blaming some of the drop in ratings on the fact that the races lasted too long....

I guess that 60 million Nascar 'fans' were busy doing something else.  maybe due to the latest starting time ever?  But what do I know/

Sally
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 02:37:58 AM »

NO! NO ! NO! This is wrong. The finish under the lights was supposed to increase the ratings. I bet cable news coverage of an overexposed "star's" haircut is what captivated viewers instead.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
jw
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 04:32:31 PM »

It's absurd to put the blame for the lower ratings on less cautions during the race.  My Take:

1. The Pre-Race was too long.  The race was supposed to start at 3:15pm.  The green flag
waved around 3:30pm.
2. Netxel Pre-Race Entertainment: It's time to drop this part of the Daytona 500.  Race fans
want to see racing not former champs of American Idol.  NASCAR is going to be in a lot of
trouble the first time a pre-race entertainment program interfers with a "hurry up" start because
of weather.

It's time for NASCAR to "wake up" & realize that starting races later in the day is doing more to
hurt tv ratings than helping.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 04:59:02 PM »

It's time for NASCAR to "wake up" & realize that starting races later in the day is doing more to hurt tv ratings than helping.

But isn't it the TV networks who are demanding the later start times anyway?  And NA$CAR is just giving them what they ask for?

Either way, later starts are just completely inconsiderate to the folks going the races in person, especially in cooler weather like this past weekend at Daytona.  I can't imagine how cold was when that race ended after 7 p.m.  Plus they don't consder that 50% of the people (even those camping) used to plan to leave for home after the race.  And races ending so late now is surely putting a crimp in those folks' plans (not that NA$CAR cares once they get their money).

I know it's all about TV anyway, but so many folks I hear from like Vivian on the west coast don't like the later start times either.  For those of us on the east coast, watching at home, they just drag it out too late and mess with everyone's Sunday evening dinner plans.  And if the TV networks really think having the races end late is going to make me watch stuff like the Simpsons or any network's Sunday night programming, they are really living in a dream world.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 05:31:10 PM »

So ratings are down 10.6 percent from last year?  It's official: NASCAR has indeed plateaued. Sad

If these numbers continue to go down as the season progresses, there's no way the TV networks will ever get their money back.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 09:09:27 PM »

Later starts mean I tape them all and maybe watch them later.  But sometimes I don't watch them because I get enough of the highlites on some of the shows they have. 

If you tune to the channel and tape while tv is off, does that count as viewing as far as the ratings go?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 09:26:20 PM »

If you tune to the channel and tape while tv is off, does that count as viewing as far as the ratings go?

Yes, if you are a Nielson family or you have Tivo and "opt in" to having DirecTV count your information for ratings purposes.  Having the TV on has nothing to do with it. 

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: