November 18, 2017, 08:52:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SPEED Acts Like Busch Doesn't Exist  (Read 1167 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: February 16, 2007, 08:58:45 PM »

I've noticed all week, on their "key events of Speedweeks", SPEED just totally leaves out the Busch race.  Today when they came on for NASCAR Live, they didn't even mention that Busch would be qualifying this afternoon.  Granted that is on ESPN, but still, are they going to act like the Busch Series doesn't even exist this season?  Seems like when it was TNT or NBC, they at least mentioned who was showing certain events.  Is SPEED that intimidated by ESPN?   Wink

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 09:36:03 PM »

It took me back to when they cut the tapes and stuff off from ESPN when they got those contracts with FOX, etc quite a few years back.  Reminds me of kids playing and "you can't have mine!" so get away from me and my stuff.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 10:05:58 PM »

Yep, IMHO it seems like the Fox networks still have issues with ESPN.

Watching Busch quals on ESPN2 right now (I'm off today cooking for my Daytona party).  Definitely a more low-key approach to ESPN's show.  A few too many graphics for me though, but SO nice to have the calm, comforting voice of Dr. Punch back!  Yeah! Grin

Cheryl
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 10:20:32 PM »

I haven't seen ESPN make any mention of the truck series all week so it works both ways. Generally much of the coverage doesn't bother me but I must say there are way too many graphics on ESPN right now. Why do we need to see Jack Roush watching the entire lap in the upper corner? It's all too distracting.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 11:06:14 PM »

I must say there are way too many graphics on ESPN right now. Why do we need to see Jack Roush watching the entire lap in the upper corner? It's all too distracting.

I don't have a problem with the picture of the driver and information that ESPN is providing in the split screen.  However, I DO have a problem with supposedly being in HD and widescreen and then putting all this crap in smaller boxes and then effectively reducing the size of the shot back the 4 X 3 and having a bunch of crap scrolling on the sidebars.  THAT distracts me...

Very good things I do notice about ESPN after two hours of watching.  They are defintely NOT dumbing-down the BGN qualifying show.  Now, maybe it's because they're smart enough to realize, no one but the hardcore race fan would be watching a Busch qualifying show in the middle of the day.   laugh

Also, the ESPN pit reporters are wearing the traditional non-sponsored headphones (unlike Fox that started wearing Nextell yellow advertising ones last season).  Also, the ESPN team is simply calling the top series "cup" which works quite well for me.   Grin

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 11:24:59 PM »

"cooking for the party" huh? What are we having?? My buddy Bob is coming over tonight to watch the truck race. We're gonna have either stir fry or pizza, hmmm tough choice! Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 02:21:36 AM »

Holy cow!! was ESPN's overdose of graphics awful. I quit watching the cable news channels because the picture became the least important part of the story. Geez if I wanted a news broadcast or sporting event without pictures I'd listen to the radio. It p****es me off to no end that networks now have to crop off almost 25%, or more, of the screen. And those whooshing graphics that pop up. Angry The last batch of credits to pop up at the end of the qualifying broadcast sounded like my neighbor was dragging a metal garbage can across the sidewalk.
 With all the clutter you'd think ESPN could put the qualifying position before the drivers name when showing the final qualifying rundown. And whats with that stupid graph with the red line? If you tuned in late you'd have no idea what that meant. Worthless. 
  I do have to say the broadcast team was much better than Speed's.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 02:22:59 PM »

I agree the graph line wasn't very useful at all; not quite as bad as the Fox quija (sp?) board thing.  But nothing tops NBC "pace chase"  graphic for qualifying if you ask me.

I also noticed no postion on the the top 10 (20?) qualifers for Busch.  Somebody definitely dropped the ball there. 

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 05:40:27 PM »

Holy cow!! was ESPN's overdose of graphics awful. I quit watching the cable news channels because the picture became the least important part of the story.

In fact, the screen was so busy that I expected ESPN to replace Dr. Jerry Punch with Wolf Blitzer at some point. laugh

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: