November 20, 2017, 10:33:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stewart penalized  (Read 6470 times)
17RoushFan
Veteran

« on: June 30, 2004, 08:02:48 PM »

Stewart penalized $50,000 and 25 points. That moves him to 6th behind Elliott Sadler.

tuned in to watch some commercials, but when they went to break, i saw a nascar race!
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 08:42:37 PM »

I saw that was the speculation on Jayski so guess he knew in advance.  I still have mixed feelings on the whole thing.  Sitting him out a race would have been just if that had happened also.  I do think they need to do something because when the last ten races start, all havoc will break loose and that is scary.  Did anyone catch Totally Nascar last night and what John Andretti said about being able to race and taking valuable points or wins from others to help his teammates?  Planning has started already.

On another note, he is my favorite and I hope he just comes back and wins Saturday night.  But fair is fair and he is starting to be an embarrassment in the rampage area.
ronbarnes7777
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 08:43:38 PM »

good maybe stewart will learn that to control his temper at last.
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 02:24:56 AM »

I was lurking on another board and it seems most of them are split about 50/50 on whether it was a good punishment or not enough.  Someone in an article from another site even brought up the fact that the probation was not that long because Nascar would not want to have someone in the top 10 on probation while the last 10 races are being run.  Makes sense.  

Ron, I don't think Tony will ever learn to control his temper.  I think Joe Gibbs kept him under control to an extent when he was at the track every week and now Tony has no one to really settle him down.  I for one hope he does not change.  That would take away his personality and I would hate to see him so subdued all the time.  Nascar is not worth that kind of a sacrifice to such a competitive person.  I just want him to exit Nascar gracefully when he wants to rather than under a cloud where he could be forced out due to their restraints.  I would much rather see him stay the way he is and go to IRL or F1 if he could.  Doubt if they would want his personality in F1 though.  He is unique in his reactions and to be anything less than that would make him too much like all the other p.c. robot drivers in Nascar, IMO.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 12:44:57 PM »

I think NASCAR wimped out on the penalty.  All it amounts to is a slap on the wrist.  I think a driver should never physically accost another driver while he's still in the car.  Outside the car is another story altogether.  At least then neither is at a disadvantage to the other.  I'm probably in the minority here, but I think it was wrong when Jimmy Spencer did it with Kurt Busch last year (whether he was provoked or not).  And I think it's even more wrong for Stewart to go after Vickers when all reports are that Tony wrecked him.  I can understand Brian smiling over the absurdity of Tony yelling at him when he felt Tony was the one who caused the wreck.

All that said, if NASCAR felt it was appropriate to suspend Jimmy for what he did, I think they should've done the same for Tony.  However, we all know that NASCAR has always had their "superstar rules."  Bottom line is they don't consider Jimmy to be a superstar, so him losing a possible 185 points didn't have the same impact that Tony losing that much would.  Especially with this stupid Chase for the Championship format.  

Like everyone else, I feel taking a mere 25 points from him and $50,000 is nothing to someone who is a millionaire.  This won't teach Tony that what he did in this instance was wrong.  I work with this kind of stuff in my regular job (disciplinary actions) and the one thing I know is that you have to make the penalty meaningful enough to them to get the person's attention so they will not repeat the behavior in the future.  In this case, NASCAR has failed miserably (as with every other case involving Stewart and Harvick).  

On XM last night, Claire B. Lang read Stewart's "prepared" response to the penalty (written by his PR reps I'm sure).  Later, the announcer on Dialed In, pointed out that nowhere in that response did he hear Tony acknowledge that he did anything wrong.  Yeah, NASCAR sure taught him a lesson!  Even if he wasn't sorry for what he did, he could've at least faked it.

Cheryl
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 03:01:23 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
I was lurking on another board

Shocked  You two-timer! Off with your head! Or better yet, the governing body of SpeedCouch.com will follow NA$CAR's lead and penalize you. Let's see....Hmmmm... what will "get your attention"??? I know  :idea:  your pursuit towards "Legend" status on this forum will be set back as we penalize you 50 posts! That ought to learn ya!

:twisted:

Lou

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 05:56:33 PM »

Too funny, Lou. :lol:
All this talk about
Tony Stewart begs the question - Should Nascar be in the behavior/ discipline business in the first place?
If what tony did was so bad, why not press criminal charges?
Nascar will never get it even handed and fair and one side or another will always be complaining. Like, the same # of points for striking someone as for using an unaltered spring which was 1/3 of a coil too short?? How can those "violations" be comparable?
 We are dealing with 40 or so of the most competitive personalties in the country. Let them race...

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
sally
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 07:55:50 PM »

I agree with Cheryl about assaulting someone while they're still in their car. ( But I do think that Kurt was begging for it, while staying in his car was a chicken*bad word* move).  They sat Harvick out because he didn't show the proper "respect" for Nascar when he pulled his truck right up to the Big Red Trailer.  Tony walked out af a drivers meeting, knocks cars out of his way left and right, then assaults someone physically...again.  Brian France may talk the talk, but he has proved he doesn't know how to walk the walk.  All he thinks about is the bottom line, and Home Depot is an "official" sponsor.  Can't have Tony not eligible for the Crapshoot, can they?  Now, Nascar is patting themselves on the back about making their point with Tony.  To me, the point they made is he can do whatever he chooses, and they will back down.

Matt McLaughlin had (again) written a great article about this at racingone.  Nascar continues to become an even bigger joke with each passing week.
Sally
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 09:28:14 PM »

Old Hot Rodder, I kind of agree with you.  How you feel about a person normally determines as to whether or not you agree with the penalty. They (Nascar) sometimes speak with forked tongue I think.  IMO, they really should not have any say in anything that happens away from the track.  I don't think they should have done anything to Wimmer-which they didn't but I think the county was way to lenient with Wimmer.  I just don't understand why they do some of the things the way they do.  And about what Tony did to Brian, how will we ever know?  Reports were so different: he slapped him on the chest when he grabbed him.  He hit him but not on the face.  He just grabbed his driving suit.  He knocked the breath out of him.  What one do you believe?  Things get so blown out of porportion.  And I am sure each of Brian's team members who were there saw it differently.  You know the story:  Sit 10 people in a circle and whisper something to one and then that one whispers the story to the next and so on until the circle has been completed and when the last one whispers what he/she heard to the first one, it is totally different than when it started.
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2004, 12:50:43 AM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
Sit 10 people in a circle and whisper something to one and then that one whispers the story to the next and so on until the circle has been completed and when the last one whispers what he/she heard to the first one, it is totally different than when it started.

Pssssst, hey Vivian, come here... a little closer... closer....did you hear the one about why Redneck murders are so hard to solve?

:mrgreen:

sally
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2004, 02:06:52 AM »

Lou...if you're going to tell my joke, make sure you tell it right!
Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2004, 01:59:11 PM »

Well, where is the rest of the joke?? :?:

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2004, 02:33:23 PM »

Getting back to the Tony Stewart fine:  One thing Fox mentioned on qualifying last night is worth mentioning I think.  In their newfound apparent "support" of Tony, they pointed out that he had just donated a million dollars (I think) to the Victory Junction Camp.  Now I'm not taking anything away from his generosity at all.  I think it's a great thing to do.  It just got me thinking if Tony can afford to give away $1 million, would a fine of $50,000 mean anything to him at all?

I also find it quite interesting that Fox downplayed the incident and fine a lot last night.  Granted I didn't see the very beginning of quals, but when they listed the penalty on a graphic, I didn't really hear the cause of it at all.  I guess they are trying to stay as neutral or supportive of supported of him after Tony's little to-do with DW a few weeks ago.   Smiley

Cheryl
ronbarnes7777
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2004, 03:17:44 PM »

good point cheryl about the donation thing i think nascar and the networks are trying to cleaning tony's rep
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2004, 05:39:45 PM »

Ron and Cheryl, I agree with your points, but I still think that the overall feeling is "let's keep Tony in the chase at almost any cost".
   Remember, the whole justification for the new points system is to make it more exciting for the fans (which tranlates to better TV ratings and therefore more money).

Certainly a lot of excitement is lost w/out Tony!
Dick "the old skeptic".

William James
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: