November 24, 2017, 08:20:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 9 and 17 times disallowed  (Read 969 times)
shawn
Legend

« on: February 12, 2007, 12:52:01 AM »

Just read on racingone that NASCAR has disallowed Kanes and Kenseth's qualifying times.

**Thats Racin is saying that both cars has 'unapproved aerodynamic enhancements' and further penalties were possible
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 12:54:30 AM by shawn » Logged

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 01:38:32 PM »

Thanks for the info, Shawn!

Here's what Jayski has today:

"Kenseth, Kahne times disallowed; Waltrip's car impounded: #9-Kasey Kahne and #17-Matt Kenseth qualifying times/speeds been disallowed, both will start at the end of the 2nd Gatorade Duel race. The #17 and #9 cars were found to have illegal aerodynamic devices/enhancements. NASCAR's Jim Hunter said both infraction is considered as serious as the one that caused #48-Johnson's crew chief to be suspended after Daytona 500 qualifying last year. While the crew chiefs have not been suspended, NASCAR has not rules out anything, penalties are forthcoming. Also, the #55 Toyota was impounded by NASCAR and Hunter said the car would be inspected 'with a fine tooth comb'. Both Kahne and Kahne will be allowed to start their respective Duel 150's from the rear. No word on what will happen with Waltrip and the #55 team.(PRN's Garage Pass Radio Show), #17-Kenseth had qualified 11th, #55-Waltrip 25th, #9-Kahne 28th. See the revised qualifying results on my Daytona Qualifying/Grid Page.(2-11-2007)"

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 09:33:48 PM »

So will their crew chiefs be suspended like Knaus was?  Would only be fair, IMO
shawn
Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 01:24:40 AM »

Marty Smith is reporting that a decision will come tomorrow afternoon at the earliest or Wednesday being the latest

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 02:24:07 PM »

Here's some more details and comments from Robin Pemberton of NASCAR about the issues with the 9 and 17:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=2&id=2763477

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 06:28:03 PM »

Pemberton's concern for the fans just brings tears to my eyes.  Roll Eyes Of course, I'm a big kenseth fan so I'm a bit biased on this issue, and I admit that.
 Dick

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 06:33:15 PM »

From what I heard from one of the talking heads from NA$CAR (possibly Jim Hunter - can't remember) on XM last night, it's more a case of them being concerned about the "perception" by the greatly coveted new fans.  Don't want to look like a bunch of cheaters to the outside people who don't understand that racing was predicated on cheating to get an edge on the next guy.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 06:48:25 PM »

Don't want to look like a bunch of cheaters to the outside people who don't understand that racing was predicated on cheating to get an edge on the next guy.

And remember that many of these "new fans" have followed sports with a zero-tolerance policy toward cheating.  These "creative engineers" we see in NASCAR wouldn't last a day in those other sports if they did the equivalent.

But better to cater to them than to us, right?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: