November 21, 2017, 11:12:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Waltrip Intake Manifold Disallowed  (Read 5524 times)
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2007, 06:17:11 PM »

Hi everyone i think back in 1983 this happened during the fall charlotte race richard petty won the race and either nascar or someone suspected he had a big engine.

And also richard had left side tires on the right side of the car that day.

I think nascar took away all of richard points he had gained that day. I think the engines are supposed to be 358 cubic inches or meters or something like that.

And his was 381.

At the tailend of the race richard petty passed waltrip darrell and darrell said in an interview.

I can't remember what darrell said now i'll have to get my bookout and see what he said.

I've heard some people say darrell had a big motor too that day.

Cause after the race junior johnson darrell's car owner knew nascar was going to take richard petty's car too be inspected so junior told darrell to come in straight off the track and drive his car into the semi and they were leaving.

I think nascar wanted to inspect waltrips engine as well. But they never got the chance too.

But i do know richard lost at least 100 points and i think all of the points gained that day which i think the maximum points you gained in 1983 was 185?

I think that's the biggest point fine in nascar history. If i'm wrong and there was a bigger one somebody please let me know.

I think richard lost all of his 185 points he gained that day.
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2007, 06:25:49 PM »

I have a question. Sorry to go off topic or off of the subject cheryl.

Isn't maurice petty richard petty's brother? Was he the crew chief or engine builder for richard?

When richard got caught with the big engine didn't richard say something about maurice didn't maurice sort of get the blame for what happened with the big engine?

Wasn't he a sort of you know a guy who took the fall - the blame for what happened that day?

I know up until 1995 that the money fine richard got that day which was $38,000 dollars was the biggest money fine in nascar history until 1995.

When junior johnson got the biggest money fine in nascar history he got caught in pre qualifying inspection with an illegal intake manifold in the car he owned.

He was fined $45,000 dollars.

Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2007, 06:31:11 PM »

Hi everyone also on the day junior johnson's car was caught with the illegal intake manifold nascar would not allow junior's driver brett bodine to qualify on the 1st day of qualifying.

Brett had to comeback and qualify on the 2nd day of time trials which i think was on a monday.

Question for cheryl or any of the other people who have been racefans for a longtime didn't the daytona 500 did they just have 2 days or 3 days of time trials for that race.

Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2007, 06:32:46 PM »

Why is michael useing david reutimann's backup car was michael's backup car taken by nascar? Or did michael feel david's backup car was faster than his?
Bryan Blanton
Legend

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2007, 06:35:03 PM »

I didn't know jeremy mayfield was fined that many points i'll have to go look that 1 up.

shawn
Legend

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2007, 06:44:19 PM »

Why is michael useing david reutimann's backup car was michael's backup car taken by nascar? Or did michael feel david's backup car was faster than his?

I think MWR thought that the 00 backup was a better car than the 55.  But, maybe they were worried that the backup 55 also had that substance in the system?

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2007, 08:01:29 PM »

Finally here's a link to the Mulhern article.  Lou found a way to get to the page!

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ/MGArticle/WSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149193215185

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2007, 05:33:19 PM »

Question for cheryl or any of the other people who have been racefans for a longtime didn't the daytona 500 did they just have 2 days or 3 days of time trials for that race.

Once, NASCAR had more than one day of qualifying.  The first day filled, I think, the first 30 spots in the lineup.  The second day filled in the rest.  The Daytona 500 also had two days before the Twin races, with drivers taking the better of the times they recorded for each day.  In 2001, qualifying was reduced to a single day, in exchange for having all qualifying sessions televised.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2007, 01:45:21 PM »

This is interesting.  The fall guy is claiming he can't come clean because he has no knowledge of the addititive...

From Jayski:

"UPDATE 2: Michael Waltrip Racing vice president Ty Norris told ESPN.com Thursday that the company offered crew chief David Hyder an opportunity to come clean about the illegal additive found in the fuel system of Waltrip's Toyota following qualifying for the Daytona 500. Hyder didn't do it. In fact, he claims he can't. Norris said Hyder maintained his innocence -- even with the company promise of no termination in exchange for information. Norris said Hyder continues to say he has neither information nor answers as to what the substance is, how it was introduced into the fuel system or, ultimately, what it does. The crew chief was unavailable for comment Thursday. Hyder had been given an indefinite leave of absence with pay from Michael Waltrip Racing on top of his suspension by NASCAR. Norris said earlier this week that Hyder will not be allowed at the shop until it is determined if he had anything to do with the foreign substance that was found in Waltrip's engine during pre-qualifying inspection for last Sunday's 500. NASCAR suspended Hyder and competition director Bobby Kennedy indefinitely. Hyder also was fined $100,000 and Waltrip was penalized 100 championship points. A source close to the situation told ESPN.com last week that Hyder eventually will be fired.(ESPN.com)(2-22-2007)"

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2007, 04:09:37 PM »

"as the manifold turns" indeed!
  What can one say? Hyders career is now in shambles, and while I don't know much about him, that does seem to be a shame.

Just remember,
          THE SHADOW KNOWS  ! Grin Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2007, 06:31:07 PM »

Norris said Hyder maintained his innocence -- even with the company promise of no termination in exchange for information. Norris said Hyder continues to say he has neither information nor answers as to what the substance is, how it was introduced into the fuel system or, ultimately, what it does.

He turns down an offer like that?

Hyder reminds me of Randall Leach, the contestant on Deal or No Deal who turned down a bank offer of some $200,000 early in the game.  When the game continued, he eliminated every case with the big amounts and he won only $25.

Hyder is the Randall Leach of NASCAR.  Hopes he enjoys the one penny in his case... laugh

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2007, 09:21:04 PM »

Seems like even if everyone knows what happens in most cases, they have to find someone to point the finger at and then that person  has to take the blame or fall as it may be.  There is always a scape goat in these type of scenarios.  Agree???
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2007, 10:56:38 PM »

I agree, Vivian. The crew chief is certainly a likely candidate for being the fall guy in these situations, but it still occurs to me that Hyder just may be telling the truth. He MAY not know how the stuff got into the fuel system. Stranger things have happened.
 Suppose Na$car realy suspected Mikey himself. Are they going to punish a favorite cash cow over this deal?? Probably not, so everyone looks for a fall guy. Bingo! A Crew chief. He will do! and away we go,.... laugh

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: