November 18, 2017, 02:01:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Waltrip Intake Manifold Disallowed  (Read 5495 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 08:01:49 PM »

A friend of mine just posted this info on my other racing list:

"Waltrip's crew chief suspended: David Hyder, the crew chief for Michael
Waltrip, has been suspended indefinitely for infractions discovered on the
#55 Toyota during Sunday's post-qualifying inspection for the Daytona 500.
Further penalties against Waltrip's team will be announced at a press
conference later on Wednesday. They are expected to be more severe than
the two- and four-race suspensions of crew chiefs from four other teams
that were announced on Tuesday. NASCAR chairman Brian France and president
Mike Helton were among those that met with Waltrip and officials from
Michael Waltrip Racing before Wednesday's first practice session. One
official described the situation as "very serious." Lee White, the senior
vice president for Toyota Racing Development that is making its Nextel Cup
debut at Daytona, said he also planned to meet with Waltrip. "I wouldn't
call it a setback, but it's disappointing for anyone that we partner with
to have this happen in some form or fashion," he said. "We will talk with
them to see where we need to go for the future." White said TRD has been
working with NASCAR on the situation. "I can honestly tell you from an
ethics standpoint and integrity, along with character and honesty, those
things are paramount in our company," he said. "We hold ourselves to a
high standard and we hold our teams to high standards. We hope we've
picked the right ones."(ESPN.com)(2-14-2007)"

Awww...what a shame... Evil

Cheryl
super61
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 08:35:37 PM »

you beat me to it, i was just going to post that! got some free time here with the 14inches of snow, 4 foot drifts and a snow day...
i think the comment from TRD speaks volumes

ken
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 09:08:11 PM »

Haha, sorry Ken.  And sorry for your bad weather.  We're just dealing with a severe ice storm here in Maryland and no power since 5:45 this morning.  Lou and I both stayed home from work, but he's got a trusty generator from the camper powering our refrigerator and laptops so we can keep in touch with the outside world. 

Cheryl
shawn
Legend

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 11:21:49 PM »

The latest on Jayski is a 100k find and 100 driver and owner points.   Plus he didn' get any practice in today and will be starting at the end of the field in his 150 in a backup car.

sally
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 12:09:29 AM »

Sorry about your weather, Ken.  I managed to avoid the worst of it...just 5 inches of snow and LOTS of wind.
Watching the press conference, sounds like somt sort of fuel additive was mikey's downfall.  The crew chief and VP suspensions are indefinite.  I wonder if Mikey will be in danger of losing Toyota as his manufacturer...they can't be happy about their image with this mess. Roll Eyes

Sally

OK Cheryl, quit grinning!
super61
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 12:24:00 AM »

did anyone else notice jim hunter's hat???  NASCAR #48... couldn't help but laugh at the irony of that.
those reporters ask some really dumb ass questions too. I thought at one point robin pemberton was gonna punch that one lady. you could see the fire in his eyes when she asked if this was about toyota....cheryl, is this site considered a news ageny? can we get media clearance? i wanna go and ask dumb ass questions too!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 01:27:56 AM »

I wonder if Mikey will be in danger of losing Toyota as his manufacturer...they can't be happy about their image with this mess. Roll Eyes

Sally

OK Cheryl, quit grinning!

Sorry, it took me a while to get here.  Since we we're still running off of generators, we have to alternate between TV and the FIOS router.   Angry

Got the TV on in time to catch the press conference on SPEED and just got done watching a ridiculously hour-long version of NASCAR Now.  Gee, if you have to keep repeating the same stories over and over again, why not simply keep it at an hour?

All I can say is when Marty Smith inteviewed the T*RD guy, I never heard him say "we're standing behind Michael Waltrip."  Guy looked pretty nervious too.  That part does actually make me smile a lot.  And, I suppose it is good to see the Mouth of the South II fall from grace a bit.  As I said, I knew they'd never suspend him though.  Fines were pretty hefty and the points deduction will definitely put him in a deep hole he'll probably not crawl out of any time soon.  And starting at the back tomorrow with only the chance at two spots to make the 500, I have a feeling NASCAR chose that method of keeping him out of the race.  Not a bad deal really.  That way they won't take any heat from his sponsor for denying them a chance to make the race.

What was SO funny during the press conference was Robin Pemberton's response to a question of "how long is indefinite?"  "A long time," he said in a sarcastic voice.  That cracked me up. 

One last thought, funny that SPEED mentioned that Jeremy was docked 105 points for the fuel tampering his Penske team had at Talladega that year.  And Rusty, who was his teammate at the time, can't "ever remember a fine over 50 points"?  That was pretty funny. 

Stay tuned for the latest in CSI:Daytona...

Cheryl
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 02:12:50 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Vivian
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 01:59:54 AM »

Sorry about everyones weather.  We have rain and cold.

Just got this off Jayski:

NASCAR Release: NASCAR announced Wednesday that it has confiscated the primary car of the #55 Toyota team that competes in the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series with driver Michael Waltrip, as a result of rule violations found during pre- and post-qualifying inspection for the Daytona 500. Crew chief Larry (David) Hyder and the team’s vice president of competition Bobby Kennedy have been ejected from this week’s events at Daytona International Speedway and suspended indefinitely. Hyder also has been fined $100,000.
NASCAR also penalized Waltrip with the loss of 100 driver championship points. His qualifying time from pole day on Feb. 11 was disallowed. Team owner Elizabeth (Buffy) Waltrip has been penalized 100 car owner championship points.
The actions taken by NASCAR resulted from violations of 12- 4-A (actions detrimental to stock car racing), 12-4-Q (car, car parts components and/or equipment not conforming to NASCAR rules) and 20-15.2C (gasoline must not be blended with alcohols, ethers or other oxygenates).
The confiscated car and the parts related to the violations will be transported to the NASCAR Research and Development Center in Concord, N.C. for further inspection. NASCAR said the investigation of the confiscated car is ongoing.(NASCAR PR)(2-14-2007)

Thanks Jayski

Haven't seen the press release yet.  Don't know if I will have it on tape when I get home tonight.  I was recording practice, NN and Speed Report.

I still think they should not even let him race.  When I left home this morning, they were putting the decals and stuff on one of the white 00 cars just in case. 
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 02:21:33 AM »

did anyone else notice jim hunter's hat???  NASCAR #48... couldn't help but laugh at the irony of that.

I knew it wouldn't take long for people to break out the black helicopters.

You may have also noticed that the hat had a '19' preceding the 48 - as in 1948, the year NASCAR started racing at Daytona....

Or maybe it was worn on purpose. Maybe they do have a sense of humor.....

Lou

cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2007, 03:35:15 AM »

The inquiring mind wants to know:

Why did NASCAR drag their feet so long on the 55 announcement?  I caught some of the Speed practice coverage around 1:30 PM and the press conference was due any minute.  The second cup practice began at 2 and the announcement was to be made after practice.  A great tease on the part of NASCAR and Speed...keep us guessing.  The press conference finally happened about 5:30 PM.  A big much ado about nothing, asides from the points fine.

Why did the 55 team take so long to begin to prepare a back-up car?  The original 55 car was confiscated on Sunday and there were rumours that they may get the car back.  What happened to the old adage..Prepare for the worst and hope for the best?  Most anyone else would've been preparing a back-up car the minute the other car was confiscated and been ready if the other car wasn't returned.

Why go to the 00 team for a back-up?  It really seems the 55 back-up would've been a more logical choice.  Aren't back-up cars set up to accommodate a driver's preferences, etc?  Nawh, they didn't think the 55 back-up car's fuel system was contaminated also.

I'm just too skeptical in my old age, but I believe the delays and lack of a back-up preparation were due to Mikey and NASCAR negotiations.  I have no idea what they may have been, but I really don't believe the team thought they'd be racing again at Daytona.

Was the fuel additive a rice derived (i.e. Sake) product?  Robin couldn't seem to adequately describe it other than NASCAR had never seen anything like it.  Since NASCAR's been to Japan, I'm sure they've seen Sake, so the team may have gone to the Korean  Soju for an additive.  Soju is a Korean variation of what we in the south call 'shine and I've had the misfortune of experiencing Soju.  Maybe a subtle introduction for Kia/Hyundai?

Lest I digress any more, I enjoyed watching today's Speed broadcast with a somewhat somber DW and no Mikey sound bite every time the camera left the practice action (or lack thereof).

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Richie
Sophmore

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2007, 03:47:05 AM »

This from That's Racin site:
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (February 14, 2007) – Michael Waltrip’s statement regarding the NASCAR penalties handed down this evening to the No. 55 Michael Waltrip Racing entry:

“In the past 12 months, Michael Waltrip Racing has hired more than 150 people and we currently employ more than 200. Although we have grown at an accelerated pace, it has been our mission to hire people with high moral value and character to properly represent our sponsors and our ownership.

“During preparations for the 2007 season and especially the 2007 Daytona 500, I specifically requested that our competition teams not disrespect NASCAR, our competitors or our sponsors by blatantly circumventing the rules.

“This is not the action of an organization, a manufacturer or a sponsor. This was an independent act done without consent or authorization from me or any of my executive management team. As an owner, I realize I am ultimately held responsible for the actions of my employees. Therefore, I accept the penalties issued tonight by NASCAR.

“I respect NASCAR’s rules, its people and the sport’s integrity, which is why I am so sad and embarrassed. I am dedicated to get to the bottom of this because I will not let the independent act of an individual or individuals tarnish the incredible accomplishment my organization has made to be where we are today.

“I want to apologize to the other owners, who know how hard I’ve worked to get here in such a short period of time, NASCAR, Toyota, NAPA, all my sponsors, the drivers and especially the fans.”

I know many on here will not believe Mikey, But I give him the benefit of the doubt.  He does not deserve to be sent home any more than the Evernham racing stable or Matt Kenseth should.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2007, 02:08:36 PM »

Today's Installment of "As the Intake Manifold Turns..."

From Jayski:

"Toyota issues warning to teams: Robin Pemberton, NASCAR's vice president for competition, was emphatic this [the #55 infraction and penalty] was a team issue and not a Toyota issue. While embarrassed over the incident, Toyota officials insisted they would maintain a relationship with MWR. "This is not the way you want to enter NASCAR's Nextel Cup Series by any means," said Jim Aust, the president and CEO of Toyota Racing Development. "For this to happen to him is extremely disappointing and extremely disappointing to Toyota. ... He has certainly apologized to just about anybody that would be associated with his organization. He's beside himself with what's happened." Toyota isn't resting on an [Waltrip] apology. Company officials are expected to send a letter out to all Toyota teams next week stating Waltrip's organization has used two of the company's three strikes. The next team that crosses the line will face the loss of the manufacturer's support. Lee White, the senior vice president for TRD, said TRD worked with NASCAR throughout the process. "I can honestly tell you from an ethics standpoint and integrity, along with character and honesty, those things are paramount in our company," he said. "We hold ourselves to a high standard and we hold our teams to high standards. We hope we've picked the right ones."(ESPN.com)
AND: Jim Aust, vice president or Toyota Racing Development, was asked if this was his worst nightmare. "I would say that's pretty close to accurate," Aust said. "This is a week we had looked forward to for many years. To begin this way certainly takes some of the limelight and happiness out of it." It also doesn't help the Toyota guys win over some NASCAR followers who didn't want them here in the first place. That marketing campaign just got a lot tougher.(ESPN.com)(2-14-2007)

UPDATE 2: A NASCAR source confirmed Hyder will be fired.(ESPN.com)(2-14-2007)"

Pretty harsh words from the manufacturer.  Guess they didn't like Mikey's attempt at a Kamakaze Run. 

Cheryl
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 02:16:36 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2007, 05:13:16 PM »

This thread has been a hoot, I'm tellin' ya! I'm not sure which part is the funnier.
 Richie, I agree, Mikey should not be sent home. Let him try his best to qualify.
 Just don't try to sell me on the "integrity of the sport" business. There is only so much integrity to go around. Let them race.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2007, 05:23:49 PM »

I have mixed emotion on the penalty.

Yes, losing 100 points right off the bat is pretty strong, and Waltrip now must race his way into the Daytona 500 without the benefit of any practice in the draft.  Granted, he is one of NASCAR's best drafters, but this will be hard to overcome.

But NASCAR should have gone one step further and sent Waltrip himself home.  Of course, sending an owner-driver home would have been unprecedented, but the message would have been the biggest one NASCAR would have ever sent.  Waltrip either knew everything that went on, or at the very least knew about it and did nothing (I simply do not believe last night's statement).  Shameful.

Of course, this is too logical for NASCAR, who considers Waltrip a "teacher's pet" and the new Toyota teams their pet project.  Oh, and don't forget his brother,******edited by moderator******, complete with the platform of Fox Sports. 

So Michael Waltrip still has a shot at this year's Daytona 500, as slim as it is. Evil
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 05:35:13 PM by Cheryl » Logged

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2007, 05:49:31 PM »

I haven't found the actual acticle by Mike Mulhern as I've been having trouble getting the Winston-Salem Journal to load for a few weeks, but here's a post from my friend Tom in Bristol from my other racing group:

"Mulhern first to put a 'name' to the stuff...

...sez it's "polypropylene oxide".

So...did a dictionary search, got "There are no dictionary entries for
polypropylene oxide, but polypropylene, oxide are spelled correctly."
followed by a list of links which led to

http://www.motorsportsracingfuels.com/Additives.html

which has "Power Additives" on the list on the left of the page which
leads to a page with the following item at the bottom of the page:

PURE POWER PROPYLENE OXIDE -  Use one quart Propylene Oxide to treat three
gallons of Gas, Nitro, Methanol or increase a horsepower boost of 7-8%. No
jet or timing change. (Availability in 1 gallon, 5 gallon & Drums.)

Mulhers sez: 'According to one source, the entire fuel system of
 Waltrip's car
had been packed with the fuel additive polypropylene oxide, a
performance-enhancing oxidant.'

Saw some footage yesterday of the 55 in NASCAR's inspection bay showing an
inspector studying a whole bunch of fuel line pieces on the ground in
front of the car...car and all were loaded on a fifth-wheel trailer
yesterday to head for R&D in Concord."

Will post more if I can get the article itself or something from Jayski:

Cheryl
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print