November 18, 2017, 05:29:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Waltrip Intake Manifold Disallowed  (Read 5496 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: February 11, 2007, 07:30:15 PM »

Just heard on NASCAR Live that Michael Waltrip's intake manifold was disallowed in pre-qualifying tech inspection.  As Lou just said "oh, what a shame..."

Bob Dilner interviewed Mikey right after he heard about the car not making it through inspection.  His comment was "I don't really know any details about it..."  Yeah, right...

Cheryl

shawn
Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 08:34:13 PM »

Jayski has something on this, and they found a substance in the inside of the manifold and that it was taken away.

super61
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 08:47:09 PM »

toyota trying to cheat?Huh?Huh? no way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ken
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 09:49:46 PM »

Jayski has something on this, and they found a substance in the inside of the manifold and that it was taken away.

We heard about that on the qualifying show and Lou suggested it might be Kikkoman. laugh

Cheryl
super61
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 12:39:45 AM »

just in from ESPN... Michael Waltrip's #55 has been impounded by NASCAR pending further inpsection.....

ken
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 12:55:34 AM »

I also saw the interview during the qualifing show.  MW said it was oil...."yeah right".  He also said they put on the new manifold and the engine was also squirting oil into the manifold.  It doesn't make much sense to me from the technical side, but could it be another marketing ploy by Mikey?  It's highly unlikely he's going to make the race or draw much attention from the media, so why not trick up the car?  It did get him and Toyota some additional air time and I doubt the cost was much of a consideration.  I thought most of the coverage was pretty well balanced (aside from DW's touting Mikey's effort at developing a multi-car team from scratch).  I did find it rather ironic that DJ drew the pole for the shootout and Vickers was the first car to qualify, but I'm sure NASCAR would never rig anything.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 07:28:21 PM »

Here's more of what Jayski has this afternoon.  Love the comment from Ty Norris that it was not sterno!  Grin

Cheryl

UPDATE 2: NASCAR impounded the #55 NAPA Toyota of driver/owner Michael Waltrip after qualifying. NASCAR officials confiscated the intake manifold off Waltrip's Camry during a prequalifying inspection. NASCAR officials don't know if Waltrip's car is illegal. Waltrip's fate is up in the air. Hunter said NASCAR officials decided to impound the car before qualifying, but allowed Waltrip to make a qualifying run after placing a new manifold on the car. Now NASCAR officials will inspect the entire car to determine if any violations exist. "Our inspectors will go over that car a with a fine-tooth comb," Hunter said. "I don't know how long we will keep it. As of right now, we do not know that the manifold is illegal, but we want to know." Robin Pemberton, NASCAR's director of competition, said officials sent the manifold to the NASCAR Research and Development Center in Concord, N.C., for testing Monday. "Our inspector caught a substance inside that we didn't really know what it was," Pemberton said about the manifold. Pemberton wouldn't give specifics about the problem, but Waltrip said inspectors found oil inside the manifold. "And it's not supposed to be there," Waltrip said. "So they took it to see why the oil was there. I don't really understand what is going on, and people here a lot smarter than me don't understand it either, but we'll figure it out. I'm sure it'll be fine." Hunter wasn't buying Waltrip's explanation. "Our inspection team was not comfortable that it was oil," Hunter said. Pemberton said the situation with the #55 problem was not specific to any individual manufacturer. (ESPN.com)(2-12-2007)
UPDATE 3: Waltrip's Toyota was impounded, with Hunter raising the possibility Waltrip will not be allowed to run that particular car in the 150s or the 500. "We'll go over that car with a fine-tooth comb ... and I don't know how long we'll keep it," Hunter said. Sterno? That's the horsepower trick that rivals suspect tripped up Waltrip when he was busted by NASCAR in the pre-qualifying inspection line for having some unknown "substance" in his intake manifold. NASCAR's Robin Pemberton, the vice president for competition, said that the manifold was being sent back the Concord R&D center for analysis. Presumably the substance could have been some type of oxidant, to provide a bit of horsepower for a short period of time. For years, stock-car teams have at times used such illegal chemical additives at Daytona and Talladega, where NASCAR severely restricts air to the engine, to limit speeds. Ty Norris, the general manager of Waltrip's team, insisted that it was not Sterno: "No, no, no, no. They found some oil in the manifold and said it shouldn't be there," Norris said. "They thought something was amiss. So we changed manifolds, and had the same issue. We showed NASCAR we thought it was blow-by engine oil.(Winston Salem Journal)(2-12-2007)
super61
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 07:38:12 PM »

hell, i'll take him a whole case of sterno....wonder if he uses the liquid or the gel???

Ken
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2007, 09:32:09 PM »

Extra advertising for Toyota sounds good to me.  Doubt if Toyota would go for that but who knows about the teams and driver?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 02:11:24 PM »

Claire had a crew chief from another team (Phillipe Lopez of the 96 team) on her show last night to explain about the "foreign" susbstance found in Waltrip's manifold.  He said that there should be NO oil or anything like that in the manifold.  That even if they were using exotic oil (which was still legal), it shouldn't have been able to work it's way to that area.  Apparently,  it was something blue and that's where the rumors or sterno started in the garage.  But Lopez said they'd just be stupid to use something like that.  I can't remember all of what they talked about, but it was very interesting. 

Also, Claire discussed what NASCAR found wrong with Kenseth and Kahne's cars.  Supposedly some type of bolts through the windshield on Kahne's car and Claire speculated this was not a severe an infraction as with the 17 car.  Supposedly there were some sort of holes in the wheel-well area of Kenseth's car that would allow more air in there.  Neither makes much sense to me as giving them aero-dynamic advantages, but what do I know?   Huh?

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 06:51:53 PM »

Sterno?  Isn't that some kind of cooking oil?  In medicine, that is described as a "off-counter use" or words that are similar.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 07:05:28 PM »

Sterno?  Isn't that some kind of cooking oil?  In medicine, that is described as a "off-counter use" or words that are similar.

Sterno is a gel-type fuel source that comes in little tiny cans to be used under chafing dishes or fondue pots.  You light it with a match and it provides a long-lasting small flame to keep food warm.

Cheryl
shawn
Legend

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 05:42:26 PM »

This gets even more interesting

UPDATE 6: Sirius NASCAR Radio, Ch 128 had PRN's Mark Garrow on the Driver's Seat show this morning and reported that the team had taken a #44 Toyota is reskinning the car and putting the #32 on the car, soucres say the #55 team and Waltrip may be ejected. Waltrip bought the #32 owners points [going with the #00 team] and Cal Wells is listed as the #00 owner.(2-14-2007)

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 05:57:41 PM »

This whole thing with Waltrip (and others) manipulating car numbers by buying teams is just getting ridiculous!

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 06:31:46 PM »

This gets even more interesting

UPDATE 6: Sirius NASCAR Radio, Ch 128 had PRN's Mark Garrow on the Driver's Seat show this morning and reported that the team had taken a #44 Toyota is reskinning the car and putting the #32 on the car, soucres say the #55 team and Waltrip may be ejected. Waltrip bought the #32 owners points [going with the #00 team] and Cal Wells is listed as the #00 owner.(2-14-2007)

Obviously, Shawn got that from Jayski.  Anyway, if Waltrip is planning to run a #32 car instead of a #55 car, and he's ejected anyway from Daytona, what would that accomplish?  Nothing, unless he has signed another driver to replace him, as long as the points from the #32 car are transferred to the #55 when Waltrip returns.

I can also report that the #55 car has returned to Daytona from the R&D center and is still being inspected at this moment.  Waltrip plans to drive a backup car in at least the second practice, which would send him to the rear of the field if he is allowed to continue for Speedweeks.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 06:34:54 PM by Desmond » Logged

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: