November 22, 2017, 12:00:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARCA at South Boston  (Read 810 times)
jw
Wiley Veteran

« on: June 30, 2004, 03:04:06 PM »

I did not see the entire race, but there was a couple of things that got
my attention.

1. Mike Hogwood called the race instead of Bob Dillner.  
 2. SPEED showed a starting grid graphic.  The starting grid graphic
    was not on a scroll at the bottom of the screen.
 3. The booth announcers were quiet for the first lap of the race.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 03:11:10 PM »

Yeah, I was surprised Bob Dilner was not there too.  I remember Hogwood from the old days at TNN, I think.  He was okay, but perhaps a little too enthusiastic for a pretty boring race.  He's also been doing the announcing on some Busch North/Winston West races on HDNet this year.  They're producing a few of those races in High Definition.  Pat Patterson is also in the booth on those broadcasts.  

Most other series are still using the traditional starting grid graphic that the fans like to see.  USAR uses it and so does the ASA.  I think the truck series does as well.  Fox (the flagship network) appears to think that takes too much time from their other more "important" activities like showing gags, soap operas, etc.

I'm just thankful this mentality has not spilled over to the races on SPEED (since they are owned by Fox).

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 03:53:56 PM »

JW,

Bob Dillner did not call the ARCA race at South Boston because he was on assignment at the Nextel Cup race in Sonoma, CA.  He files reports on Speed News NASCAR Edition on Sunday evenings.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: