November 20, 2017, 04:46:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ESPN Busch Series ad campaign  (Read 422 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: February 06, 2007, 07:29:51 PM »

ESPN has begun a new advertising campaign around its coverage of the Busch Series which begins later this month.  The campaign is a spoof of drivers' education classes.  For example, in one ad, Carl Edwards related the story of a race accident caused by rough driving.  I don't know the exact words, but it cracked me up! laugh

Other drivers in this campaign include Shane Huffman, Jason Leffler, David Reutimann, Mike Wallace, John Andretti, Scott Wimmer, and Kertus Davis.

Here is the public relations statement on the ads: "After successfully launching its overall NASCAR marketing campaign in January, ESPN today announced phase two of the effort in support of the NASCAR Busch Series. The campaign features drivers Carl Edwards, Denny Hamlin and Stephen Leicht along with 17 other Busch Series drivers and will run throughout the 35-race season. NASCAR racing returns to the networks on February 17th with the Busch Series season-opener from Daytona International Speedway on ESPN2. Created by Wieden+Kennedy New York, the three :30 spots present a character named Sergeant Doren who tries to impose the standard rules of the road to the race track. The campaign continues to bear ESPNís new NASCAR tagline, 'NASCAR on ESPN: Itís The Life.' (ESPN PR) (02-05-07)"
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 01:17:09 AM by Desmond » Logged

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 08:47:13 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up, Desmond!  Shane's Mom told me he had filmed a commercial for ESPN a while back.  So I'm anxious to see that. 

Unfortunately, we don't watch ESPN that much, so I probably won't see it until their Busch Series coverage on the 17th. 

I usually record shows like NASCAR Now (and stuff on SPEED) and then ff'd through the commercials. 

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 05:58:11 PM »

Details of two of the ads:
  • In one ad, Carl Edwards points out that the faster the car, the less control the driver has.  He also referenced an incident last year at one of the Charlotte races in which Casey Mears T-boned the 60 car.  The "instructor" then chimed in with, "T-bone?  Well done!"  That was the funny part.
  • In another, Stephen Leicht (#90 Ford) was asked about the correct following distance.  Leicht said that was two or three inches, so that he could follow the draft.  The reply was that he meant two or seconds ahead.  Leicht came back by saying something like "two or three inches--ahead."  He's not following anyone.  That's a racer!

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 06:13:40 PM »

Desmond, I think everyone would like to wait until they can see the ads themselves, so that they can enjoy them firsthand.  I could be wrong in speaking for everyone else, but I know I would prefer not to have them described for me in advance.  Thanks!

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: