November 22, 2017, 12:04:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: West Coast Track  (Read 1412 times)
sally
« on: February 05, 2007, 12:23:10 PM »

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/6435166
Hey Vivian....someone better tell the lieutenant gov. to check with Homestead-Miami about the 'benefits' of having a track in the area.

Sal
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 01:43:12 PM »

Claire had a bunch on this on her show Friday evening.  She worked herself into a darn near frenzy over some people she'd talked to in Vegas that had stereotypes about race fans.  She asked for callers from the northwest to call in and weigh in on the issue.  I darn near emailed Vivian to suggest she call, but kept missing the phone number. 

Most folks explained that the taxpayers in that area were tired of paying for sports stadiums already.  I guess I still cannot believe the Frances have the nerve to expect the taxpayers to pay half the freight.

But mostly I enjoyed the race fans in the NW trying to justify how they weren't a bunch of southern rednecks.  And then the southern folks calling in and taking exception to that characterization.  It was a quite entertaining call-in show! 

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 10:38:37 PM »

Seattle Fan could weigh in on this much better than I ever could.  How about it, Ken?  Personally, I don't really know anything about Washington State's econcomy or how their people feel.  I only know what I have read about the people's reactions.  And that was not good thoughts from them.  I do know the traffic in the area is so bad at times.  I don't like driving through the area at all although I have been to some Seattle football games when they still had the dome.  I-5 from Olympia (state capital) up past Seattle is normally really packed and the traffic is stop and go in a lot of spots.  Not sure of the mileage but think Olympia is about 35 to 45 south of Tacoma and then on up to Seattle is another 30 to 40 miles I think.  Help me here, Ken!

Cheryl, remember I grew up in GA and FL for my formative years (over 20) so I know what southern people are like and I love them dearly, and they truly are nothing like these west coast people!  I can't really tell you the major differences in behavior, but I can tell you that I would not want to live in the south again for several reasons.  I just can't relate any longer. 
super61
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 04:23:28 AM »

vivian, i am a hillbilly via germany... but my cousin lives in seattle..they do not have the road infastructure to support any type of large track that FORIEGNCAR, Inc wants to build there.  there was a huge backlash when the new stadiums were built with taxpayer dollars.
the owners of the teams did not put up one penny for the baseball stadium, yet somehow managed to sign only a  10 year lease...so at that time they could just pick up and leave, and the city will have a nice place to get together for cookouts...here in cleveland we had some huge problems with the new stadiums and arena(Cleveland Brown's Stadium, Jacob"s Field and Quicken Loans Arena)... the tax dollars came from smoking and alcohol buyers(i dont' partake in either, but so not fair) now the state has a no smoking in public places law that prohibits those who helped pay for them from smoking there. when are we as taxpayers and citizens going to stand up to these billionaires and make the spend their own money??? if they want the city to have a track so damn bad, why can't they pay for the entire thing??? can't they find some more corporate monkeys to cough up more propoganda cash?Huh?  there is no economic value for a venue like that that would warrant a city or state spending 100-200 million dollars...yeah race weekend brings in 10-20 million a race to the weekend, but it will take 20-30 years for the city to make up for the initial investment and to me that is not a good investment..(neither was the coins for cash program our old governor managed here either, but we all can't be warren buffet!!!)

FORIEGNCAR, Inc is becoming like Wal-Mart, just bullying it's way into communities that have absolutely no interest in the pony rides.
that was evident with the long island deal falling through.... trust me tho, Million Dollar Baby Brian is not done raping and pillaging New York...however there are rumors of taking the annual circus and borefest ( awards banquet for those not getting my humor ) to Las Vegas, where the show never stops... "that will teach those damn people in New York... if they won't play with me, i'll take my toys and find new friends"

just my 1.5 cents

Ken

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 01:35:26 PM »

Great comments, Ken from Ohio!  I think Viv was trying to get Ken S. (who is from Seattle) to comment, but he's an infrequent reader of the forum, so I don't know if he'll see this post or not.

That is a pretty raw deal about the taxes on ciggarette's paying for a place that smokers cannot use.  And I thought Maryland was screwed up... Shocked

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 05:59:29 PM »

Wow, that was a great stream of consciousness from Ken!

Please advise him that he should be grateful that Buddy Wayne--the real NEXTEL Cup champ--doesn't really exist, or he would have a huge argument on his hands.  He is "sponsored" by Wal-Mart, don't forget.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
super61
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 09:42:12 PM »

hey, only one ken per message board!!!!! once i got going, i went crazy i guess.... hey that's what this is for right?

see you all on wednesday night

ken
Vivian
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 09:49:03 PM »

Super 61 Ken, your comments were great and very welcome!  Yep, that is what this forum is for!  And yes, Cheryl, I was hoping to illicit a response from Seattle Fan Ken so you were right but I think we got an excellent response from our other "Ken".

I am so glad we get to vote on all taxes here in Oregon.  And that is probably why they did not approach Portland for a proposed track.  JMO...
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 10:39:32 PM »

They voted on the 2, count 'em, 2 new stadia in Cincinnati, one for football, the other for baseball. They tore down Riverfront Stadium which, as I recall, opened about 1970, or so. Anyhow, those fools in Hamilton county voted for it. Mike Brown threatened to move the Bengals, who were 3 and 13 that year. One of my friends sent back his season tickets, with some very caustic comments.
 I think that most all of the studies on the issue show that the revenue generated by sports teams is not nearly as much as people think, and is simply the allocation of discretionary funds to that particular activity, as opposed to some other activity.
  The very idea of taxpayers paying for tracks, stadia, etc is ludicrous, in my opinion.
If it is such a wonderful thing to do, then I'm sure that some rich folks will pony up the cash to do it. Let them eat cake!!! Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
shawn
Legend

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 02:24:55 AM »

bgnracing.com has a bit on this. It says that ISC is guarantee 2 major race weekends.  Also, it says ISC will move a race from one of its existing tracks to here, can you say 1 race @ Martinsville, and they want all 3 major series's running there.  ISC only wants to pay for 180 out of the 368 million price tag. 

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 06:19:40 PM »

I think that most all of the studies on the issue show that the revenue generated by sports teams is not nearly as much as people think, and is simply the allocation of discretionary funds to that particular activity, as opposed to some other activity.
  The very idea of taxpayers paying for tracks, stadia, etc is ludicrous, in my opinion.
If it is such a wonderful thing to do, then I'm sure that some rich folks will pony up the cash to do it. Let them eat cake!!! Grin

Here is a blog with more news on taxpayer funding of stadia:

http://www.fieldofschemes.com

This site also has a link to purchase the Field of Schemes book and links to opponents of such funding.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 04:27:53 AM »

Just when I'm about to quit questioning my sanity a topic like this comes up.  I just can't see why we (the taxpayers) are so giddy about building some gazillion dollar sports complex for whatever event.  I know I'm just a dum ol' redneck, but I can't begin to see the positive local return on most of these investments.  Surely some corporate giant will step up and offer  millions for naming rights for the facility to lend credibility (?) to their institution, but that's a drop in the bucket of the multimillions it takes to construct it.  These millions would be much better spent upgrading our educational systems and  the teachers pay.  Most of our educational systems are the driving force behind the direct deposit payroll system.  The direct deposit saves the graduates the embarassment of not being able to endorse a paycheck.  I better quit before I go on a rant but let's let NASCAR, NBA, NFL MBL, NHL, and all the others fund their own venues and let our tax dollars go for the betterment of our communities.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 03:06:03 PM »

Just when I'm about to quit questioning my sanity a topic like this comes up.

You sound pretty sane to me....

Lou

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 06:20:25 PM »

Just when I'm about to quit questioning my sanity a topic like this comes up.

You sound pretty sane to me....

Lou

Me too.
 D ick

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 09:48:47 PM »

One chooses to live in a small country town, then complaints come that there is no entertainment.  So many who have lived in the city get together and decide that they need all the stuff the city had in order to survive in the small country town.  Pretty soon there are new strip malls, big chain stores and restaurants and now they need the entertainment for all the new influx of people and for the people who live in the bedroom communities.  Pretty soon it is a medium town and still growing.  But for the city ones to live like they did in the city and have all the amenities, they have to gouge the locals to support their life style and soon another small country town bites the dust.  Then they move on again because they want to get away from the rat race.  It is a vicious cycle that happens all the time here in America.  I have seen it in CA and now it is happening in our area.  Sad, sad....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: